Software RetroArch 1.7.9 released, features new touchscreen gestures for the XMB

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 7, 2019.

Front-page Software
    newversion-2.
    The Libretro team is back, bringing a new version of the beloved emulator frontend, RetroArch. After releasing version 1.7.8 back in August, the team has made some new changes and released an update in the form of version 1.7.9. This time around, there's been a focus on quality of life features, resulting in new ways to navigate RetroArch's XMB; users can now use touchscreen gestures on supported devices in order to go through the menus. Tapping or swiping specific places onscreen will allow you to search for games, scroll through lists, change settings, and more, all without requiring a connected keyboard or gamepad. Some general improvements have also been made, such as adding Wiimote lightgun support on the Wii, solving a memory leak due to a video driver on the PS2, and giving some overall bugfixes in regards to the menu. If you want to make sure you've got the latest version for your setup, or want to try the new features out for yourself, you can download it from the source below.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (23 replies)
  1. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    RA is the best

I wonder if PS3 move support will ever be added. It only got Wiimote support just now, and Wii is dead for years.

Last edited by Reploid, Oct 7, 2019
  2. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    The other plane of existence
    Sweet! I wonder if all those featured will be carried over to the switch version, pardon if they already are?
    Is it just me or gestures are hard to get used to. nothing beats the old fashioned way with a controller to scroll through the menus and navigate.

3. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    For the lazy

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    well, i hope this will put an end to the unfortunate situation where retroarch allows you to set 'no button' as the accept button for its menues, forcing you to edit inis on sd cards to get it back to work

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

well... can you still type things when you accidentally set no button as the accept button?
    because that would be a real game changer for retroarch.

MarkDarkness, Zense and Kraken_X like this.
  5. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Just wandering how’s n64 emulation coming on these daysI gave up along time ago even on the new core release, it just kept crashing Atmosphere when booting roms apart from SM64 which was playable.

6. roarn20

roarn20 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Been waiting for this feature, so can't wait until it gets released on the switch. Joy cons sometimes acts weird when scrolling so another way to interact with the menu is great

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It's gotten a lot better, very good last I checked.

Reecey likes this.
  8. Rj.MoG

Rj.MoG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2015
    United States
    Unfortunately it crashes on the 3DS pretty frequently and with most games. Hopefully this gets sorted out at some point

9. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Try turning off notifications? I think that is broken at the moment.

GBA dynarec also remains crashy/broken if you were playing that.

10. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    Best way and most performance vs. accurate to play N64 roms on PC in my opinion is the newest project 64 paired with angrylion rdp plus graphics plugin. You don't get any upgrades that you wouldn't be able to get on real console with mods/patches (so you get anamorphic widescreen and filter options), though, at least you don't get those awful misaligned polygons leaving gaps in many games like SM64 and Paper Mario. If you would prefer upping the resolution and custom textures then this won't work for you. I do believe there's a separate branch that wants to provide custom textures.

Last edited by Zense, Oct 7, 2019
    MarkDarkness likes this.
  11. Rj.MoG

Rj.MoG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2015
    United States
    It isn’t that, it was just built wrong. Someone on here has posted a corrected build in the 3DS forums and submitted a pull request. It’d be neat for it to be fixed soon

12. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Yep every core in the latest version for 3ds is crashing for me it's definitely fucked lol.

13. HylianBran

HylianBran Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    United States
    I typically stick to single console emulators, but I think I might check this out, after hearing so much about it. I think the only multi system emulator I use regularly is WiiMedfeden, and because it's for the Wii.

14. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    If only they didn't have such a non-intuitive UI this stuff wouldn't even be important. It's crazy that Retroarch has been around for 8 or 9 years now and they still haven't adopted a different interface than the PS3-themed one.

15. Rj.MoG

Rj.MoG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2015
    United States
    Lol there’s like 4 choices of Ui as well as the option to just use an external launcher

16. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    About that,I've tried looking for a forwarder creator for pcsx rearmed games or a general retroarch one but I haven't found any. Does it exist?

17. Rj.MoG

Rj.MoG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2015
    United States
    Yes, I think it’s just for MGba though, not for all the cores.

Zense likes this.
  18. yadspi

yadspi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    Can't believe people are still complaining about RetroArch UI.

19. oji

oji GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    In Soviet Russia you're the Location
    > adding Wiimote lightgun support on the Wii
    Wonder if it's also working on Wii U (not vWii, but in native mode)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted