RetroArch 1.10.0 released, adds improvements to netplay features

unnamed-768x432.png

A new version of RetroArch has been released, bringing the emulator frontend to version 1.10.0. This update adds a multitude of changes and bugfixes, but three highlights include HDR support for Vulkan, better performance for Xbox UWP users, and tweaks and improvements to netplay. As of this version, Windows users can make use of HDR on Vulkan setups. As for netplay, the Libretro team has added quality of life features, such as a text chat room, the addition of relay servers, major changes to uPnP, a ping counter for the client, and more. The full changelog can be found on the official website, alongside the download for RetroArch 1.10.0.

RetroArch 1.10.0 has just been released.

Grab it here.

If you’d like to learn more about upcoming releases, please consult our roadmap here.

Remember that this project exists for the benefit of our users, and that we wouldn’t keep doing this were it not for spreading the love to our users. This project exists because of your support and belief in us to keep going doing great things. If you’d like to show your support, consider donating to us. Check here in order to learn more. In addition to being able to support us on Patreon, there is now also the option to sponsor us on Github Sponsors! You can also help us out by buying some of our merch on our Teespring store!

RetroArch Open Hardware​

Please take a moment to sign up for our RetroArch Open Hardware newsletter. We would also hugely appreciate it if you could fill out the user survey. The link can be found here.

If there is sufficient demand, we have the possibility to start building hardware that will help regular users preserve their old videogames at affordable prices. Every person filling in this survey counts towards making this a future reality, so please take a moment to look at it.

Highlights​

HDR support for Vulkan has been added. It’s been confirmed working on Windows. Also,
HDR support for Slang shaders has been added. The first shader to support HDR is
crt\crt-sony-pvm-4k-hdr.slangp.

Numerous improvements have been made to netplay. uPnP support has received a complete overhaul (and is no longer reliant on miniupnpc). Relay servers should now be fully operational. A new relay server has been added in Singapore to help out users in South East Asia and bordering countries.

A summary of the new features:

• Netplay features: Text chat, host ping limiter, client ping counter.
  • Netplay relay: New relay system is now functional.
  • Netplay relay: The canadian server was replaced in favor of an asian one.
  • Netplay relay: Custom relay server support.
  • Netplay hosting: A warning will be shown if your room is not connectable from the internet when announcing to the lobby server.
  • Netplay fixes: Many netplay fixes and improvements.
  • Lobby Viewer (Internet): Filter out rooms that are not compatible with RetroArch’s netplay.
  • Lobby Viewer (Internet): Display a non-connectable tag to non-connectable rooms.
  • Lobby Viewer (LAN): LAN rooms now have their own refresh button, no longer mixing together with internet rooms.
148403507-2695d349-09e9-41f1-9ce3-cd2092dbffba-300x169.png

The XMB menu now has a new (optional) effect to hide menu items that are near the edge of the screen, very similar to the original XMB. You can adjust the fade effect to your liking if you want it to fade out more items onscreen. The new setting is called ‘Vertical Fade Factor’ and can be found in Settings -> User Interface -> Appearance.

A VSync swap interval has been added for the Direct3D 10 and 11 drivers. Before, Swap/sync interval was merely on/off based on VSync, leaving the existing option unused.

Big improvements for Xbox / UWP users – see the changelog for more details.

User advice for Xbox users​

There are apparently some issues people are experiencing with USB drives.

We recommend you follow these steps to solve potential issues:
* Connect your drive to a Windows PC
* Go to File Explorer
* Right click on your NTFS drive
* Do the following: Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Add -> Select Principal -> Advanced -> Find Now > All App Packages > Ok > Tick Full Control > Ok > Enable Inheritance.

Changelog​

• 3DS: Add Jaxe, A5200 and WASM4 cores
  • 3DS: Fix rotation
  • ARCHIVE: Allow loading files from archive subdirectory
  • AUDIO: Remove frame limit from audio batch callback. Before, if a core used the audio batch callback, there would be a hidden cap of 1024 on the number of audio frames that could be sent. If a core exceeded this value, any excess samples were silently discarded. While this is sufficient for ‘normal’ samplerates/framerates, it means that e.g. a core using the batch callback to send 44100 Hz audio at 30 fps with would have entirely broken sound. This has been fixed by removing the audio batch frame limit.
  • AUDIO/RESAMPLER/NEON: Implement sinc kaiser NEON function
  • CHEEVOS: Reset hardcore default to enabled; show message when trying to load state in hardcore
  • CHEEVOS: Fix memory map conversion
  • CHEEVOS: Check netplay status when unlocking achievements
  • CHEEVOS: Support for hashing buffered NDS ROMs
  • CHEEVOS: Fix hung task whe badge doesn’t exist
  • CLI: Load save states from command-line or playlist
  • CORE INFO CACHE/SETTINGS: Restore missing ‘Cache Core Info Files’ menu entry
  • DATABASE: Serial scanning for Gamecube/MegaCD/SegaCD/Saturn/PSX/PSP/Dreamcast/Wii
  • D3D10/D3D11: Add Vsync swap interval
  • EMSCRIPTEN: Add Jaxe, WASM4 cores
  • FILE IO: Fix incorrect file names for remap files when the content path doesn’t have a preceding slash
  • INPUT/OVERLAY: Added support for showing the overlay behind the menu instead of in front. This is currently only supported on the GL, Vulkan, D3D 9/10/11/12 and 3DS drivers.
  • INPUT/UDEV: Convert abs mouse from screen to viewport coordinates; fix relative mouse coords
  • INPUT/WAYLAND: Ignore mouse clicks on window decoration
  • INPUT/WAYLAND: Add scroll wheel support
  • LINUX: Added support for Linux GameMode (https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode), which can be toggled on/off in the Power Management or Latency settings menus.
  • LOCALIZATION: Fetch translations from Crowdin
  • LOCALIZATION: Add Indonesian, Swedish and Ukrainian language options
  • LOCALIZATION/MENU/RGUI: Enable Indonesian and Swedish localisations for RGUI
  • LOGGING: Logging cleanups
  • LOGGING: Stop logging FPS statistics twice on quit
  • LOGGING: Log font rendering backend only once
  • HOTKEYS: Added a hotkey toggle for the on-screen technical statistics.
  • HOTKEYS: Add delay + acceleration to volume hotkeys
  • MENU: Add option for showing notifications only in menu
  • MENU/RGUI: Add Finnish to supported languages
  • MENU/XMB: Optional vertical list item fade
  • MENU/XMB/OZONE: Category + History/Favorites icons
  • NETWORK: Fix dummy notification – no longer shows a netplay initialization failed notification when netplay is not enabled
  • NETWORK: LAN addresses only for UPnP – Some router devices might accept non-LAN addresses without raising an error.
  • NETWORK: Filter out non-connectable rooms. Add an option for filtering out non-connectable netplay rooms.
  • NETWORK: Netplay spectator notification fix. Fix double notification when the host switches to spectator.
  • NETWORK: Prevents long-term pausing from clients dishonoring allow pausing
  • NETWORK/LOBBY: Lobby Viewer: Filter out rooms that are not running RetroArch
  • NETWORK/LOBBY: Lobby Viewer: Display a non-connectable tag to non-connectable rooms
  • NETWORK/LOBBY: Host: Display warning if we are announcing to the internet but our room isn’t connectable from there
  • NETWORK/RELAY: Custom relay server support – Add support for custom user-ran relay servers
  • NETWORK/RELAY: Replace Canadian relay server with Singapore relay server. Current relays: New York/USA, Madrid/Spain, Sao Paulo/Brazil, Singapore
  • NETWORK/UPNP: Various refactors/improvements, no more dependent on miniupnpc
  • NETWORK/UPNP: Various UPnP binding fixes for specific routers
  • NETWORK/UPNP: Accept IGD v2 service types
  • NETWORK/UPNP: Delay lobby server announcing – delay the announcing in order to give UPnP’s port forwarding more time. Fix the remaining truncation warnings.
  • NETWORK/UPNP: Smart interface selection – Find the most suitable address for UPnP by scoring interfaces on how close their address is to the device’s address
  • OPENGL1: Fix buffer overflow – RetroArch would sometimes crashes at startup when loading asset textures with GL1 driver
  • PS3: PSL1GHT port added to Gitlab CI
  • VULKAN: Double combined image sampler descriptor pool size – fix segfaults with AMD GPUs using RADV
  • VULKAN: Emulate mailbox only with Vsync enabled – otherwise have it disabled – useful for VRR/G-Sync/FreeSync
  • VULKAN/SWAPCHAIN: Vulkan max swapchain images option adjustments: removed value 1, since it won’t be used – Video reinit on change, so that there is no need to restart or toggle fullscreen
  • VULKAN/HDR: HDR support – tested on Windows
  • WAYLAND: Add libdecor for client side decoration
  • WAYLAND: Use any display for initial metrics
  • WAYLAND: Fix the window closing, if RetroArch is build without libdecor
  • WAYLAND: Use checked sizes in EGL resize
  • WAYLAND: Fix window title update
  • WEBOS: Fix webOS build and run
  • WIIU: Fix rotation
  • UWP/XBOX: Fix content over 4GB (approx) failing to load, improve/speed up copy/load times
  • UWP/XBOX: Fix scanning for playlists
  • UWP/XBOX: Move content copied to LocalState to a dedicated dir and clear on startup
  • UWP/XBOX: Make content copy to a specific cache directory in the LocalState folder when it’s copied
  • UWP/XBOX: Auto delete VFS cache dir on startup
  • UWP/XBOX: Make resolution switching automatic and fix angle output issues
  • UWP/XBOX: Force ANGLE to render at 1080p regardless of screensize as the output is 1080p regardless of screensize. This fixes an issue where at 4k any angle output would be zoomed into a corner.
  • UWP/XBOX: Set resolution based on display resolution (auto 4k)
  • UWP/XBOX: Set driver to D3D11 if booting with opengl
  • UWP/XBOX: Reset width and height of output on boot to match display
  • UWP/XBOX: Mitigate need for VFS cores on NTFS drives
  • UWP/XBOX: Make check for standard I/O by access rather than the just assuming based on path string
  • UWP/XBOX: Add code to auto permissions so files can be accessed by non VFS cores (no exFAT or FAT32 support yet)

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, it took like 4 hours to update, since I had to use wireless ftp to get games, configs, Playlists, saves, and save states off the console, uninstall the app, install the update, then put everything back. Just glad it's over, and all games tested worked without issue.

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The main problem is I don't think you can update cores manually anymore. I'm not sure what the cores folder and dll files are for on d.
So on the D Drive/Folder, this is where the applications you sideload for Dev Mode are installed. Due to some quirks, the UWP version of RetroArch comes with the cores as part of the package since you can't download them from the Online Updater. So, that's where that cores folder you mentioned comes into play. And since you can access it, you can manually manage the cores. The dll files on the other hand serve the same purpose as the dll files do for RetroArch on the PC, dependency files for certain app features/functions.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So on the D Drive/Folder, this is where the applications you sideload for Dev Mode are installed. Due to some quirks, the UWP version of RetroArch comes with the cores as part of the package since you can't download them from the Online Updater. So, that's where that cores folder you mentioned comes into play. And since you can access it, you can manually manage the cores. The dll files on the other hand serve the same purpose as the dll files do for RetroArch on the PC, dependency files for certain app features/functions.
The default cores folder shows like s/program files/long Retroarch name/cores. It works here. If I change to the cores folder on d, it can no longer find the cores.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The default cores folder shows like s/program files/long Retroarch name/cores. It works here. If I change to the cores folder on d, it can no longer find the cores.
That's because the S Folder is nothing more than a link to the D folder. They are actually both pointing to the same location, even if semantics can confuse the app. You can try it out if you want, keep the default directory, but change the cores in the D folder. You'll see the change regardless.

A good test is simply take a core that has a version string, take a newer/older version and replace it, and load the core again to see if the string changes.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Why is it d now instead of s? Microsoft?
Your guess is as good as mine mate. There's so much weird shit I found in Dev Mode due to a lot of tinkering. And trust me, you'll only get more confused if you question it further.

But at the end this is the behavior it has, so we have no choice but to adapt really.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your guess is as good as mine mate. There's so much weird shit I found in Dev Mode due to a lot of tinkering. And trust me, you'll only get more confused if you question it further.

But at the end this is the behavior it has, so we have no choice but to adapt really.
BTW, is that, the message above, the right way to update? There is no way to update easily and quickly like an updater? It wasn't hard, but definitely time consuming.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
BTW, is that, the message above, the right way to update? There is no way to update easily and quickly like an updater? It wasn't hard, but definitely time consuming.
If you just want to update the cores and not RetroArch (the frontend itself), yes. There's no easy way to update the frontend itself though. Even RetroArch on the PC only offers you means to update supplementary files and the cores, but no way to update the application itself.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would have thought they won't put much effort into their netplay feature now that they are on Steam and can passively enjoy the way better Steam Play Together.

However I'm very glad they did because you know ... the native netplay feature of RetroArch is the one that keeps all devices together regardless of the host OS and the existence of Steam.
I used to play the NES Contra together with a friend where I used a Nintendo Switch and he used my modded New 3DS. This will be especially very cool to have a Nintendo Switch and a Steam Deck play together. =)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool for older games like arcade or SNES.
Well yeah that works I guess. But most people usually just have fightcade if they wanted to play arcade games online. I never actually tried netplay with retroarch, but if it can work, cross-platform, that's good and worth the effort. I mean it's on many consoles so that would be the best. :P

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know we have the unofficial PS4 port but was really hoping to hear something official, thought we might this time around tbh.

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, it took like 4 hours to update, since I had to use wireless ftp to get games, configs, Playlists, saves, and save states off the console, uninstall the app, install the update, then put everything back. Just glad it's over, and all games tested worked without issue.

hi there ! I have my games located outside the internal Retroarch file structure, full tutorial here: (https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-xbox-one-retroarch-thread.518329/page-80#post-9475535)

Before I update I simply cut & paste the 'ROMs' folder entirely out of the Retroarch folder (to DevelopmentFiles), install the new version, then cut / paste 'ROMs' into the new Retroarch folder.

1643272114190.png

The files havent actually moved anywhere on the hard disk, just the pointer to it, so its takes a few seconds to move over and back. I am sure you could take a back up of the playlists, saves, etc .... please see the following video (youtube.com/watch?v=5VNoxtXzH7o)

Last edited by hooky1992,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah that works I guess. But most people usually just have fightcade if they wanted to play arcade games online. I never actually tried netplay with retroarch, but if it can work, cross-platform, that's good and worth the effort. I mean it's on many consoles so that would be the best. :P
I've had a couple games not supported by fightcade work on RetroArch.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi there ! I have my games located outside the internal Retroarch file structure, full tutorial here: (https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-xbox-one-retroarch-thread.518329/page-80#post-9475535)

Before I update I simply cut & paste the 'ROMs' folder entirely out of the Retroarch folder (to DevelopmentFiles), install the new version, then copy / paste 'ROMs' into the new Retroarch folder.

View attachment 295475

The files havent moved actually anywhere on the hard disk, just the pointer to it, so its takes a few seconds to move over and back. I am sure you could take a back up of the playlists, saves, etc .... please see the following video (youtube.com/watch?v=5VNoxtXzH7o)
I had thought about that. do you know if the roms and stuff work outside of the retroarch folder?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Before I update I simply cut & paste the 'ROMs' folder entirely out of the Retroarch folder (to DevelopmentFiles), install the new version, then copy / paste 'ROMs' into the new Retroarch folder.

View attachment 295475

The files havent moved actually anywhere on the hard disk, just the pointer to it, so its takes a few seconds to move over and back. I am sure you could take a back up of the playlists, saves, etc .... please see the following video (youtube.com/watch?v=5VNoxtXzH7o)
I moved my stuff around, and I put everything in the Essentials folder, so it should be much easier to update now:

1643287289383.png

Reactions: hooky1992

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I moved my stuff around, and I put everything in the Essentials folder, so it should be much easier to update now:

View attachment 295500

Glad to hear ! Have u any update on the performance of this new version ?

I was having issues previously of SEGA Naomi arcade games were caching a copy in LocalState of the internal folders, despite me designating a separate Cache folder outside the regular Retroarch file structure, see my previous post: (https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-xbox-one-retroarch-thread.518329/page-84#post-9683085)

I see some improvements in this regard have been listed by the developers, and was wonder if this fixed the issue:

UWP/XBOX: Move content copied to LocalState to a dedicated dir and clear on startup
UWP/XBOX: Make content copy to a specific cache directory in the LocalState folder when it’s copied
UWP/XBOX: Auto delete VFS cache dir on startup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good