Retro Studios is hiring staff for Metroid Prime 4

36C0DB5C-7DB6-4115-851A-D9D993AA38DF.jpeg

Announced to the shock and awe of fans worldwide, Nintendo revealed the existence of Metroid Prime 4. That was two years ago. We learned earlier this year that the game had been scrapped entirely, and that Retro Studios would be brought on to help start development from scratch. It appears that work on the game is ramping up, as Retro is currently hiring staff to work on Metroid Prime 4. They’re looking for 13 roles, spanning job titles such as technical engineer, art director, cinematic artist, and physics engineer. If you want to see the full list of available jobs, they’re all listed on Retro Studio’s official website.

:arrow: Source

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Announced to the shock and awe of fans worldwide, Nintendo revealed the existence of Metroid Prime 4. That was two years ago. We learned earlier this year that the game had been scrapped entirely, and that Retro Studios would be brought on to help start development from scratch. It appears that work on the game is ramping up, as Retro is currently hiring staff to work on Metroid Prime 4. They’re looking for 13 roles, spanning job titles such as technical engineer, art director, cinematic artist, and physics engineer. If you want to see the full list of available jobs, they’re all listed on Retro Studio’s official website.

:arrow: Source
Texas boo....

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since all the original prime people (or was it just the heavy hitters?) left retro, I'm not sure how solid this entry will be. But they seem to respect the original source materials while doing loads of new cool stuff (donkey kong, for example), so they have that. Just hope they can deliver.

I suppose this means they're hitting a particular milestone soon and need more people for the push and polish?

This is gonna take a while. Wish they'd just give us a remastered Prime trilogy to tie us over.
I'm guessing they have a time-table dependent on the release date. 6 months before it releases, whenever that is, for example. I'm ready for it as well. 1080p 60fps prime please!

Think I kno when this wil be released same week as ff7 remake:lol:
totally going to be a ps5 release title.

Reactions: Xzi

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Interesting to see where this goes, as others have mentioned, all original staff has moved on, just the Retro Studios name remain.
The name itself is not going to save Metroid alone, so they need to hire true fans of the series or get the old people involved to consult, well in saying that they must have put together one heck of a tech demo to show Nintendo for them to take over and start from scratch.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this game will only get released in like 3 or 4 years i see, if they dont even have the staff to start this will take years to be completed, maybe on switch 2.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

grey72

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is gonna take a while. Wish they'd just give us a remastered Prime trilogy to tie us over.
I recall hearing a rumour on YouTube that prime trilogy remaster was done and ninty's just holding it back for the right time. That was on YouTube ofc, so add salt to taste

Reactions: Xzi

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they seem to respect the original source materials ...

So, like, Samus as a high school girl who can't get over her crush Ridley who's moved over to the dark side to be with Mother Brain? Then the Metroids come...

(Sorry, but Metroid: Other M* really ruined the notion of "original source materials" for me and is a perfect example of why sequalitis is such a bad thing. Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of those exceptions to the idea, but it manages it mostly by in many ways not being Metroid--none of the games are designed with the notion that you'd ever finish them in under 2 hours.)

* As far as gameplay goes, it's fun. But, if that's all you're looking for, there's no reason to put "Metroid" in the name except to sucker people (like me) into playing it.

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, like, Samus as a high school girl who can't get over her crush Ridley who's moved over to the dark side to be with Mother Brain? Then the Metroids come...

(Sorry, but Metroid: Other M* really ruined the notion of "original source materials" for me and is a perfect example of why sequalitis is such a bad thing. Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of those exceptions to the idea, but it manages it mostly by in many ways not being Metroid--none of the games are designed with the notion that you'd ever finish them in under 2 hours.)

* As far as gameplay goes, it's fun. But, if that's all you're looking for, there's no reason to put "Metroid" in the name except to sucker people (like me) into playing it.
my guess is other m was created as a prequel. meant to take place as her "first" mission, most likely as still a part of the military. still be a kid. script and storyboards were mostly made...and then "the baby"was shoved in and the whole thing rewritten for unknown reasons. it'd still be crap, but if it wasn't a sequel, a lot of the more insane bits would be a bit better. turn the story into that, remove the "wiimote only" dumbness, and it might have not been a dumpster fire and just a huge dissapointment.

by original source material, i just mean "sense of exploration and discovery", "sense of danger, isolation, overwhelmed", and "environment plays integral role in characterization/story/atmosphere". they could change absolutely everything, just so long as it " feels" metroid. I'm really hoping they get it right this time.

Last edited by osaka35,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by original source material, i just mean "sense of exploration and discovery", "sense of danger, isolation, overwhelmed", and "environment plays integral role in characterization/story/atmosphere". they could change absolutely everything, just so long as it "

You just described most survival horror games. Funny enough, I actually generally rather dislike most survival horror games. For the most part, I never had much sense of danger with Metroid--at least, most of it was always do to a feeling of my own incompetence falling into lava and not climbing out fast enough. Further, I can't say I ever really felt overwhelmed in Metroid. One of the greatest strengths (or possibly weaknesses) is that in Metroid you can always overpower yourself. In that sense, I'd add strong-willed, independent, and determined to your list.

It's precisely this last part that is in conflict with "environment plays integral role in characterization". Samus as silent protagonist had until Metroid: Other M been shown, not told, to be capable of doing what seems the impossible--admittedly, that line was in the original Metroid manual. Having Adam shoot Samus in the back to save her? Adam the computer was right, it was likely a wasted death: Samus likely could have killed off the Metroids herself somehow. I mean, look at all the other threats Samus has single-handedly faced.

As much as I'd like to just carry on and ignore the story Metroid: Other M lays out, it's clear that story by exposition* has become the norm with the Metroid 2D (and Other M). I can only hope Prime 4 avoids it like the plague. Even still, the damage really can't be undone. Thankfully it's Retro Studios, a third party, doing the job. It seems that's the other message: Capcom using Inti Creates for Mega Man was also the right thing to do. It's just sad to me how the Metroid series went. :/

* The other problem with exposition is that most developers are too lazy to allow branching movement, so it tends to push towards lineality in place of global exploration. They feel they must have one canon story at the end. I feel that as bizarre as the implications of Sonic Adventure was being Rashomon, that'd be better than undermining what the series core ideas were about--or as you put it, respecting the original source materials. :/

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just described most survival horror games. Funny enough, I actually generally rather dislike most survival horror games. For the most part, I never had much sense of danger with Metroid--at least, most of it was always do to a feeling of my own incompetence falling into lava and not climbing out fast enough. Further, I can't say I ever really felt overwhelmed in Metroid. One of the greatest strengths (or possibly weaknesses) is that in Metroid you can always overpower yourself. In that sense, I'd add strong-willed, independent, and determined to your list.

It's precisely this last part that is in conflict with "environment plays integral role in characterization". Samus as silent protagonist had until Metroid: Other M been shown, not told, to be capable of doing what seems the impossible--admittedly, that line was in the original Metroid manual. Having Adam shoot Samus in the back to save her? Adam the computer was right, it was likely a wasted death: Samus likely could have killed off the Metroids herself somehow. I mean, look at all the other threats Samus has single-handedly faced.

As much as I'd like to just carry on and ignore the story Metroid: Other M lays out, it's clear that story by exposition* has become the norm with the Metroid 2D (and Other M). I can only hope Prime 4 avoids it like the plague. Even still, the damage really can't be undone. Thankfully it's Retro Studios, a third party, doing the job. It seems that's the other message: Capcom using Inti Creates for Mega Man was also the right thing to do. It's just sad to me how the Metroid series went. :/

* The other problem with exposition is that most developers are too lazy to allow branching movement, so it tends to push towards lineality in place of global exploration. They feel they must have one canon story at the end. I feel that as bizarre as the implications of Sonic Adventure was being Rashomon, that'd be better than undermining what the series core ideas were about--or as you put it, respecting the original source materials. :/
aye, metroid has a bit of that spooky. it's more of a horror adventure platformer i suppose lol. and things can't be spooky if you're certain of the outcome. so less scary and more unsettling i guess. music has a big impact as well. I'm not spooked so much as unsettled and uncertain. I enjoy the "something is...off" atmosphere.

and I agree, the indepedence and agency given to the player is incredibly high in the metroid games, generally, with linearity being a bit of a buzz-kill. the gameplay and storytelling saved fusion from the linearity, but it still stuck out. super and fusion are what i consider "metroid", minus the linearity in fusion.

prime happens before any of the others, timeline wise. i think. here's hoping they switch back to the "show don't tell" prime and super did so well.

Last edited by osaka35,

WAUthethird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They feel they must have one canon story at the end.

Seems the Star Fox series has followed that philosophy to the letter - the only story-unique game in the series that's not a rehash of the original SNES game is Star Fox 2, and even then it can be considered to have more or less the same story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"