Retro City Rampage dev appeals to Wii pirates for help achieving sales threshold

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game is currently 750 units away in the United States and 850 units away in Europe from reaching the dreaded sales threshold for WiiWare titles. If the threshold isn't reached within the first 2 years of publishing, the developer doesn't see a penny.

Wait, what?

Can take a moment to note how awful this system is? Because this is pretty awful.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
wow Nintendo is like a Pimp...

"you suck.. and you suck real good girl, until they is no juice left"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yep, pretty much. In a healthy business relationship, Nintendo should take their cut of the sales revenue because the game is stored on their servers and they're effectively "publishing" it online, hence a portion of the money (a small one, I might add) is well-deserved - the rest of the revenue should go to the developer. In the case of WiiWare, apparently the software is held hostage until it performs well enough for Nintendo to deem the developers worthy of getting some money for their work. Seems legit.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't own a Wii but I did buy it on the 3ds. I'm glad I did it was one of the best game purchases I made that (last?) year. If I owned a Wii I would buy in on that too just to help the guy out. I got my money's worth and still playing it. If any of you are on the fence about this game, give it a look, for what my opinion is worth this game rocks. I would hate to see a developer like this not be paid for something this magnificent.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Although I confess I pirated the game to have it on my Wii, I only spent around 2-3mins before quitting it and it felt like the old GTA gems which are great but there was something lacking about this one that didn't feel like it.

I'd rather just play the original GTAs over this game any day, to be honest.

Sorry Mr. Developer, but if it were on the Wii U's eShop I'd consider to purchase.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, I'm sure the whole 3-4% of users with modded systems (or rather, systems confirmed to be running Homebrew Channel) are at fault here, and not at all the fact that Wii users simply weren't interested in a game like this. For the love of God, even Call of Duty isn't doing so well on Nintendo platforms and that's a big budget game.

I don't think he was blaming people who pirated the game. I think he's just asking for help from all corners. Which is gonna be hard to get, seriously, if they dont reach a certain number, they don't get a penny? That seems broken on Nintendo's rules.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think he was blaming people who pirated the game. I think he's just asking for help from all corners. Which is gonna be hard to get, seriously, if they dont reach a certain number, they don't get a penny? That seems broken on Nintendo's rules.
As I said, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the guy. At least the game was released on other platforms, so I'm sure it made some returns. It was available on PSPlus, so I'm guessing that Sony wrote a hefty check for the guy already. It's just a shame that it's not getting the recognition on the platform it was initially supposed to be exclusive on.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
3% of 100 million is 3 million. That's like fourth grade math. Assuming I didn't screw up my own math here: 1600/3000000 is 0.0005333333, meaning if we estimate that Wii pirates really do make up about three percent of Wii owners, you could take one percent of them, tell them to buy the game, and hit the sales target if only five and one-third percent of that one percent bought the game. So yeah, appealing to pirates as a group isn't a bad idea at all. I have the PS3/Vita versions thanks to PS+ and I'd gladly buy the Wii version if I had even $10 in disposable cash at the moment.

Haha yeah, it is. I'd say my head isn't in the game at the moment, but that would sound like a really lame excuse. I spent most of yesterday preparing for a job interview and I must have been cooked. Thanks for the correction ;).

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think asking pirates to buy the game was a shitty move - I'm pretty sure that with all the units the Wii sold, and the ease of piracy on that system, way more than the required 1500/1600 copies were pirated.

The piracy scene itself on the Wii must be bigger than people here think: I just took a look at BlackCatsGames, a private tracker for videogames, and several Wii titles have 5k to 8k torrent downloads (out of 30k total registered users, half of which are currently unable to download because they failed with their ratio upkeep). Now consider that is a private tracker with a very harsh admission policy, one of many; add the fact that there are direct downloads on top of public torrent trackers, and suddenly 1600 people don't seem too many.

Also, that WiiWare policy is cancer, holy shit. And nintendo complains they don't get 3rd party support.

Reactions: Ulieq

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
People should calm their tits and stop acting like defensive idiots the dev isn't calling out pirates or anything he is just making a simple appeal to peoples good nature. I feel sorry for this dev and it goes to show why many devs want nothing to do with Nintendo, this threshold system is ridiculous and if it has stung the dev of retro city rampage imagine what it did to others with less noteworthy titles.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Everyone I know that owns a Wii has it soft-modded for piracy, and that's 12/12 friends of mine... Me makes 13. Modded Wiis are more commonplace than non-modded Wiis these days, since it's stupidly easy to do.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Im guessing problem is with the platform, nintendo sucks @ online, and the group that'd be more likely to play the game is on other consoles...

As for appealing to pirates - i'm guessing that's only group that'd consider buying it given situation.. most pirates actually do pay for games they enjoy at some point and are more likely to support a good indie game than a generic money milking sequel.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guy waited too long to release this game. The Wii came out 2006, this game released 2013! Expect failure!

Don't blame your lack of sales on Wii pirates. Blame Nintendo for not being more proactive about the Wii Shop, blame yourself for making a game that is not that awesome. It's not a terrible game but it's not that great either.

This should have been on ALL platforms simultaneously or at least within a few weeks of each other.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guy waited too long to release this game. The Wii came out 2006, this game released 2013! Expect failure!

Don't blame your lack of sales on Wii pirates. Blame Nintendo for not being more proactive about the Wii Shop, blame yourself for making a game that is not that awesome. It's not a terrible game but it's not that great either.

This should have been on ALL platforms simultaneously or at least within a few weeks of each other.

Holy shit he's not blaming Wii pirates for anything. He's just asking if they could buy it so his hard work doesn't end being for nothing under Nintendo's pants-on-head retarded payment system.

And if you did pirate it for the Wii, you should've just fucking bought it. It's like what, $10? It's not a great game but it's pretty alright. I got it on the Vita and it's fun enough and this guy worked hard on it at least.

Reactions: Mirby and McHaggis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)