Retro-Bit shows off its "improved" take on a Dreamcast controller, set for release this year

EVVNFmBWAAEvQ6-.png

After having partnered up with SEGA to release USB Genesis/Mega Drive controllers last year, Retro-Bit is ready to take on another classic SEGA gamepad. This time, they're tackling the Sega Dreamcast controller, in an attempt to create an official "improved" version for players to best enjoy their favorite Dreamcast titles. The controller will have wired and wireless options, will feature a brand new redesigned dpad, more ergonomic triggers, and six face buttons. Currently, Retro-Bit doesn't have a solid release date, but the controller is planned to be available for purchase by the end of this year.

:arrow: Source

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I never had any issues with the original, excelt that cable positioning and quality, it alwasy loose contact, its so bad.
Other than that, playbe that circle pad could be replaced with modern one but similar looking...and thats it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

there aren't that many dreamcast games worth playing to warrant buying this
You probably never played Dreamcast than.

I loved the dreamcast and it's controllers. Hmm wonder if any of those poor chao are still alive on the vmus.
probably not because of the battery :( that thing sucks it

TangentingTangerines

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they gonna be usb only like the genesis controllers were, or will you be able to use it with the original dreamcast?

I loved the dreamcast and it's controllers. Hmm wonder if any of those poor chao are still alive on the vmus.
The VMUs should still work. VMUs used flash memory for storing the save files, just like with most other memory cards. It's only limited by how many times it's erased and written to, it's not a time thing like the save batteries in Pokemon or the Sega Saturn.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had any issues with the original, excelt that cable positioning and quality, it alwasy loose contact, its so bad.
Other than that, playbe that circle pad could be replaced with modern one but similar looking...and thats it.

You probably never played Dreamcast than.

probably not because of the battery :( that thing sucks it
No, it's just he owned a PS2 and anyone who owned any other 6th gen console knows that most DC games got ported to other platforms. If not, then most of those dreamcast exclusive games got much better sequels on later consoles. that narrows down the library to a handful of exclusives you can't even guarantee are good, so there you have it. the DC sucks ass

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there aren't that many dreamcast games worth playing to warrant buying this

It has a few games.
What would be better, especially if this ends up being a nice normal controller, is many times the Dreamcast ended up with the superior version of any multiplatform title otherwise available on the PS1 or N64.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it's been noted, but the 6-button design doesn't seem that odd if you've played with one of these...

If you find the Dreamcast pad uncomfortable though, this thing certainly has a unique feel

Attachments

• 15867358427678894365219149561070.png
    15867358427678894365219149561070.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 151

PvD79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah they could just change the design like recent n64 controllers nowadays that have everything but more like a strreamlined controller

51h40UG1yuL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

i dont see they selling many controller with the same exact design as the official ones tbh.

I have bought 3 Retro fighters controllers. 1 n64 and 2 Saturn controllers. All had issues. The 64 controller was still a great redesign and would still work. The Saturn were a step above crap. Ghost key presses happen constantly. I love their redesign on the DC controller but I will be buying the retrobit. I bought one of their controllers and it was good. Wish they had redesigned it but it works and that’s what matters. Unfortunate as I really want to like RF...

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm looking forward to a review of one of these. Dpad is terrible on the original controller, and analog stick is decent at best. I also am in favor of the 6 face buttons.

After this maybe a wireless adapter for the Sega Saturn 3D control pad (cord is detachable) maybe? ^_^

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looks nice, I hope this will work with a extension cable.
I have good a good 3rt party dc controller, but when using both VMU and rumble at the same time.
It won't work on a extension cable, the orginal dc works great with the extension cable.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

After having partnered up with SEGA to release USB Genesis/Mega Drive controllers last year, Retro-Bit is ready to take on another classic SEGA gamepad. This time, they're tackling the Sega Dreamcast controller, in an attempt to create an official "improved" version for players to best enjoy their favorite Dreamcast titles. The controller will have wired and wireless options, will feature a brand new redesigned dpad, more ergonomic triggers, and six face buttons. Currently, Retro-Bit doesn't have a solid release date, but the controller is planned to be available for purchase by the end of this year.

:arrow: Source

So basically a MadCatz Controller:
Madcat_Sage_Dreamcast_Controller-4.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Improved." 3rd Parties did this when the system came out. Nothing is new here. Give us a 2nd analog stick. Now that'll be an improvement.
Assuming you don't just want one for the other thumb, or maybe to split directions between two sticks, then what would it achieve? It is not like games will all of a sudden be able to make use of it.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like it might be a slightly improved version of the Madcatz DC controller...
s-l300.jpg
...which can still be picked up brand new online, but I advise against it - they're fucking awful.
My favourite controller (at least for fighting games) on the DC are the Ascii pads. I own the blue SNK themed one, and eventually want to track down the black and yellow Capcom one.
IMGP5690.JPG

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

nah i'm ok with the normal dreamcast controller, 6 buttons are too extreme for me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night