OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
xbox one.jpg

A while back during the Xbox One's release, Microsoft announced that retail Xbox One consoles will have the ability to act as dev kits, allowing developers of all kinds easy and cheaper access to dev kits for their apps and games, and Microsoft plans to release details on this process during the Build Developer Conference.

It's great to see Microsoft finally getting around to adding dev kit support on their retail consoles, this will definitely allow more apps and things to be easily developed.

Microsoft will be allowing developers to turn their retail Xbox One into development kits later this year while also expanding app creation to all developers.
According to a report from The Verge, Microsoft will be detailing its strategy of making Xbox One retail units into development kits during the Build Developer Conference, which is taking place between April 29 to May 1.

:arrow:Source

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that should save a few bucks for developers.

I would like to see something like a common "Net Yaruze" type thing where anyone could make some small simple games if they had the drive to do so.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Wasn't this already supposed to be a feature at launch? I seem to remember talk of it in the pre-launch announcements.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So what are we likely to get out of this, surely they won't allow the running of code without putting it through some sort of vetting process first. I wouldn't mind a media player or something but it's not going to be likely we'll get emulators out of this right

Reactions: Margen67

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So what are we likely to get out of this, surely they won't allow the running of code without putting it through some sort of vetting process first. I wouldn't mind a media player or something but it's not going to be likely we'll get emulators out of this right

Have you ever seen the Xbox Live Indie section? That pretty much answers whether there is a vetting process.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Have you ever lurked the windows phone market? there are tons of nice emus out there, I don't see why we couldn't have some here.

The execution environment is locked so that the app can't harm the system but it allows quite some things, who cares if the apps can be published on the store if we can turn any console to a devkit?

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you ever seen the Xbox Live Indie section? That pretty much answers whether there is a vetting process.
Yea but running unverified code just asks for trouble, it would be as simple as someone writing code to play a game they don't own and everyone could do it. There has to be some process

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yea but running unverified code just asks for trouble, it would be as simple as someone writing code to play a game they don't own and everyone could do it. There has to be some process

From a non-dev stand point, the apps will probably be vetted or at least monitored.

From a dev stand point IIRC games/apps run under a hypervisor/VM so there is some protection in place in addition to the usual e.g. encryption, nx, etc. which is probably what they're betting on.

Whether they will monitor/restrict what can be executed from source though is something that interests me, e.g. if they officially ban emulators, could one be run from source or will there be a roku style limit so only one app can be installed at one time?

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Learn from what, to make consoles dev or to stop them from being dev?

All I can saw is that Nintendo needs to make dev hardware affordable. What they offer at the moment are basically just Wii U's with the system security turned off so that you can run your code on them, and for that you pay a LOT more than you would for a Wii U with the standard security built in that prevents unauthorized code from running. If anything the development Wii U's should be the same price as a Wii U at the store.

Reactions: Margen67

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Putting code through a vetting process would kill the program before it even starts. Submitting code to MS each time you want to run your app/game? No thanks.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The way I think it#ll be is you can have however many apps running on your own console but if you want to share your apps they need to be vetted and signed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1