Retail Pokemon OR/AS on emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Lunatics, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Lunatics
    OP

Lunatics GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    I tried doing some research and found some information for x/y saying that using a retail cart would not work correctly going from sysnand to emunand and I was wondering if that is the same for OR/AS?

I have an AS cartridge that I started on sysnand 7.2, I have gateway and was hoping to be able to get online and use my cartridge and keep my save through emunand now that 3.0 is out. Is this something possible or will it still not work? Will it entirely corrupt my save if I try? If this will not work, is it possible to dump the cart with gateway and continue playing it on only emunand after that, but being able to keep the save?

2. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    It should work. It wouldn't work in a console running off a 4.5 sysNAND (perhaps it does with the new launcher, I've heard reports), but you should be fine, since you have a 7.2 sysNAND.

3. iwasaperson

iwasaperson Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2013
    United States
    It will work just fine. Just make sure you boot into Classic Mode instead of Gateway Mode.

Adeka likes this.
  4. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Retailcarts of OR/AS works fine in emunand, you can even apply the update if it asks for it.

5. mmn

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    What? If retail carts work fine, then why can't I load my save when I use my dumped cart and save in Gateway mode? It tells me my save data is corrupted.

6. Patxinco

Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

Apr 18, 2011
    Same to me with One piece unlimited World red, we need to use save data filer or anything?

Thanks ^^

7. mmn

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States

I tried dumping all of my games and all of their saves. I renamed the games to .3dz and the saves to the proper title id.
    The games' saves were broken if the game
    1. Uses newer save encryption
    2. Has a save less than 512kb in size
    That left me with only one dump+save combination working, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl.

Games whose saves didn't work with their dumps for me:
    • LoZ: A Link Between Worlds
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Super Smash Bros
    • Pokemon X
    • Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

8. RainThunder

RainThunder GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Hanoi
    In GW 3.0, the save data in Gateway mode still use old encryption method, so you can't load your save data with your legit ROM dump. You can use classic mode with your retail carts, since it use new encryption method.

SaveDataFiler in Gateway mode doesn't recognize the save data that is encrypted using the new method.

9. Liberty

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Someone should really create a quick guide on the whole savegame-issue, including:

1. SysNAND on 4.x or 8.x/9.x
    2. CARD1- and CARD2-games
    3. Gateway-mode/Classic-mode
    4. SaveDataFiler

10. Lunatics
    OP

Lunatics GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    Yeah I'm confused with all of the different options, I try booting emunand and then putting my retail cartridge in and it doesn't even show up in the menu as if there's a game in there. I'm trying to backup the rom to see if running it like that will work but from what it sounds like is there's no way to make it work and I either have to start fresh on a rom in emunand, or continue using the retail cart in sysnand but not be able to do anything online.

11. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    Boot emuNAND in Classic Mode, not Gateway Mode (hold L while running the exploit and select Classic)

Lunatics likes this.
  12. mmn

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
  13. novadragon849

novadragon849 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2011
    United States
    Sorry for hijacking the thread.

But if the OP has the actual retail cart and is on Sysnand 7.2 which can't he just slot in the retail cart and boot straight from sysnand instead of using classic mode from gateway?

I thought the only reason to use classic mode is because the retail cart requires firmware greater than 4.5 to play. (which is made redundant as gateway supports up to 9.2).

Will this not work?

14. Lunatics
    OP

Lunatics GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    I want to be able to go online with it, thanks to Shady Guy Jose using that method I can boot into "emunand 9.4" in classic mode so my backups don't work, but it will read retail carts allowing me to keep my save and everything and go online with it.

15. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    More details someone please...?

I started Pokemon Y on my system at 6.x and now that we can downgrade to 4.2 on US console I did that and booted into emuNAND 9.4 and booted Pokemon Y. My save is reported as being corrupted now and I can't use it. What do I do?

16. Kaphotics

Kaphotics badc0ded

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    Use classic mode with sysnand being >= 6.0; Gateway does not set the 6.X savegame keyslot.

17. Smash Br0

Smash Br0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 6, 2009
    United States
    *tags topic for later reference*

18. davhuit

davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    New exploit fix the problem of incompatible saves. If you had a retail cart and was playing it on 9.x, old classic mode wouldn't let you play it because the save was detected as corrupted.

But now, 9.x classic mode will be able to load the saves fine (tested with two games, and saves of both games worked, Pokemon X and Smash Bros).

Of course, if you downgrade, you'll lose the benefit of it again.

19. mmn

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    This is true. However, if you dump a save from a retail cart and try to play that save in Gateway mode, it doesn't work. That's what this thread is about.

20. davhuit

davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Can be wrong but the first message say "retail card" and do not talk about dumping it (classic mode also use emunand).