Hardware Resurrecting an old 360

Beko1987

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Found this forum whilst googling various things. I got my old Xbox 360 down from the loft the other day so my kids could play on it. It fired right up and does work fine, and some games were played (letting a 7 year old play GTA 5 is interesting...)

But what do I do now? I know these suffered with RROD, Mine did and was done in the recall over 10 years ago, but the fan is VERY loud, and the thing runs quite hot. Would stripping it down and re thermal pasting it help? Or are they just a bit loud?

Also, it's not seen an ethernet jack in over 10 years. Will it still update? Is it worth updating? It has the tiled dashboard, version 2.something. Not sure if it's better to just leave it as it is (it doesn't have to be online, I imagine my gamer tag account is long dead) or should I plug it in, factory reset it and let it update? Or can I do anything cool with it on an older version of the software?

One good thing about getting it back out though are games and peripherals are dirt cheap on ebay! I felt a bit silly forgetting how GTA works though, I don't really game (used it as a windows media center box back in the day mainly)

Thanks!

Sam

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can still update via usb or a game if you're not connected to live. the last time I was on live was probably 7-10 years ago.

replacing the thermal paste is a good idea. if it overheats or gets rrod, it might be too late by that point as the motherboard could be bent or warped.

imo, the last good update was kernel 16xxx. I can't recall the exact number, but it allows you to use an external drive of 2tb instead of 32GBs before that.

are you going for an rgh, flashed dvd drive (allows you to use discs), or legit usage?

edit: the system software for 2TB may have been introduced in 17xxx, so I may be wrong about it being 16xxx.

edit 2: yeah, it seems to be 17349

Last edited by godreborn,

Beko1987

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would only stick it on the internet to update the software and firmware, doubt there will be much else, it's been a while since I've been 17 playing online with mates!

Not sure what you mean by an RGH or flashed DVD, but that is the main reason I came here, someone I know asked if I was going to hack it at all, and if so be sure to see if it's better to stay on an older ROM version or update... What could I do with it flashed? Drop games onto a USB?

It's mainly for the kids to play with, so it won't need much stuff, although I did loose 3 hours last night to Red Dead, which I forgot I had (the kids played GTA, I'd just 'buy' a car and drive away from the main city and let them drive around fields etc)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte