Restoring Wii to Unhacked State

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Anthraxx, Mar 12, 2011.

Mar 12, 2011
  1. Anthraxx
    OP

Newcomer Anthraxx Member

United States
    A while ago, about two years I guess, I hacked my Wii. Had it successfully running backups. It all turned to shit when trying to run a MHTri backup and I hadn't been able to get it working. I left my Wii collecting dust for a while. Recently I hacked a mate's Wii, got it working in 20 mins no sweat. I'm wanting to get mine sorted out again, and figure that rather than contending with all the bullshit I've already got on there it'd be loads easier to start with a clean slate. Googling and forum searches haven't turned up much, but is there any way to basically restore my Wii to an unhacked state.

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    use ModMii, it doesn't matter whether its hacked or not, in the end it will end up the same

3. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You can use this program to create a virgin nand and flash it to your wii ohneswanzenegger , but if you just plan on rehacking, it is completely pointless.

4. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Dude, that has a much higher chance of bricking his Wii than using Modmii.

5. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Higher chance, I wouldn't say that personally. You'd have to debate whether flashing the NAND using BootMii is prone more to error than installing multiple WADs using MMM. I do agree that ohneswanzenegger opens up a higher chance of bricking your Wii in terms of user error. Flashing a "virgin" NAND with no System Menu or files comes to mind as a possible nightmare scenario [​IMG] One does have to work hard to arrive at such a scenario as it requires certain non-trivial steps.

Regardless, Anthraxx, as a relatively new person to the forums/hobby I recommend using ModMii. It will bring your Wii up to date, and you will not have to worry about "all the bullshit I've already got on there"

-[]D

6. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What I'd personally do, and modmii does the same general idea in a way, is get the latest update with nusd and have it make wads, delete the stubbed/mothballed ioses, and then install the wads with wad manager. Of course you'd wanna make sure you have some channel that 4.3 wouldn't delete to run homebrew with, unless you have a game to exploit it again. The latest hackmii installer will help you there.

Then I'd use anytitledeleter to remove anything you don't want that remains, and go from there.

Your choice of course. There are many ways to skin a cat.

7. troy512

Newcomer troy512 Advanced Member

United States
  8. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Concerning ohneswanzenegger, I have to add caution that this utility will not help much in restoring a Wii to an unhacked state. I posted the question about retaining the vital information that makes the Wii yours and was confirmed that beyond wiping clean, updating, and verifying NANDs the utility is not programmed to restore or retain the vital information. This means that the original Wii Friend Code, Shop Account, and possibly more may be wiped resulting in a completely different Wii in a sense.

Just a word of caution. The quest for a true restore, or a fully customizable NAND utility goes on... ohneswanzenegger is a cool app nonetheless.

-[]D