Restoring IOS to official status

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by keke_keke, Aug 17, 2010.

Aug 17, 2010
  1. keke_keke
    OP

Member keke_keke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Basically I've been messing around with my Wii trying to get things to work. Right now though I'd like to know if it's possible to just download all the IOS that are used on SM4.3e leaving access only to the HBC and Priiloader. I've been using MMM to install/uninstall IOS. Would it just work if I found a list of what the Wii is supposed to have installed and left only IOS61 (HBC)?

Edit: pretty sure the nand backup will do a lot of restoring. But that will only take me back so far, a guide I followed installed a lot of the "good stuff" before I worked out how to make the backup, so I'd still need to redo a couple of IOS.

Edit2: actually considering I have Indianapwns still accessible, could I just wipe it all and start over, making a nand backup the first thing I do this time?

2. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    First off, I have to ask if your have BootMii Boot2 installed. If you don't, keep in mind that even with utilities like PriiLoader installed, you can brick your Wii to a point you may not be able to recover from.

That said, there are many ways to re-install vanilla IOSes. Personally I would just use Dop-Mii to install all the IOSes needed without applying any hacks to them. you could also use NUSD to download the appropriate WADs and then install them using a WAD manager like MMM (seems like you've been doing this). An easier way to do things would be to use a complete solution like NUS Auto Downloader, but be sure to do your homework.

The only thing I would not recommend is updating via Nintendo's official methods. This will install SM4.3 without any hacks, that may leave you without HBC. Also, you might be left with stubs instead of your cIOSes. All around, a bad idea to use Ninty's route.

If you don't know what IOSes you have installed or patched, I suggest using a utility like Dop-Mii to generate a report; it will list your IOSes, their version, and any patches applied for you.

Hope this helps you get started. Post back in the Hacking section if you need more help...

-[]D

3. keke_keke
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the help, I'll try Dop-Mii. Not sure why I posted it here, think I just saw homebrew and assumed there'd be an app for this. :/

Edit: I got the report. If an IOS has FakeSign, ES_Identify, NAND and Flash all disabled, does this make them clean/legit? Even then a lot of the clean ones seem out of date (I ran cioscorp once... seemingly no damage done but the uninstaller seems to have given me outdated IOS). Is it just a case of finding out the most up to date ones and installing them over the old ones? Also, is it safe to overwrite every hacked IOS with legit ones, or will it screw up my Wii if I overwrite an IOS that the app is currently using? I basically just want to delete everything except what I'm using to restore the IOS, then start over with Indianapwns. Sorry for so many questions.

4. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    All newer IOSes have disabled it, but older version have some things enabled, because these four points were bugs in older IOSes.

5. keke_keke
    OP

United States
    The only things I deleted were the IOS over 200. My mistake for not reading up on it, but it didn't seem to affect the HBC (that uses IOS61 I think). So it's safe to overwrite EVERYTHING with the latest version then start over with Indianapwns? The issue of the HBC sitting in my menu being unusable temporarily shouldn't be an issue. I started with 4.3e so I shouldn't be able to make my Wii unexploitable.

6. FIX94

Germany
    It is save to OVERWRITE everything, but please don't overwrite IOSes with stubs. The Homebrew Channel will be usable, because it works with legit IOSes, so you don't need indianapwns again, you can re-softmod your wii directly from the HBC [​IMG]

7. keke_keke
    OP

United States
    So I don't install IOS3, 4, 10, 11, 16, 20, 30, 40, 50, 51, 52, 60 and 70? (taking the non-active ones from: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS_History). None of them will cause any problems if I leave them be whatever version they are?

8. FIX94

Germany
    No, you will don't get any problems, these IOSes are non-active [​IMG]

9. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Correct, you don't have to mess with mothballed IOSes or IOSes that have been stubbed, as they are no longer used with the latest software. There is a catch, if you have older software that uses them, and they are a stub or the wrong version you can brick your Wii, (example: if you still had SM4.2 but installed the stub version of IOS70 which SM4.2 uses, you get a brick). So be sure of what version of software you have installed; like I said before, gotta do your homework.

As for the "active" IOSes, you can install the latest versions without any issues. Programs like Dop-Mii are great as they list details of the IOSes and identify stubs clearly. Programs like NUS Auto Downloader are great as a complete package, one shot does it all, quick and easy procedure.

-[]D

10. keke_keke
    OP

United States
    I'm confuzzled. :S If they're not active, then why is it important that I don't overwrite them?

Edit: nvm I think I understand now. Thanks so much!

11. FIX94

Germany
    These IOSes PPSainity talking about are the system IOSes. The active system IOS now is IOS80 for SM4.3. But if you have 4.2 for example which uses the non-active IOS70, and you are installing the stub (v6400), you have a fullbrick.

12. matguitarist

Member matguitarist GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    You should use pimp my Wii 2.02 it will update all the IOS and channel you need without install latest system menu leaving IOS for HBC not patch ( don't patch IOS58 i don't remember if it correct in new version )

13. keke_keke
    OP

United States
    Well I have 4.3 and the latest IOS. Dop-mii seems to highlight stubs anyway so I guess I can easily ignore them, it just sounds like in my situation any stub I would install is supposed to be like that. I'll just play it safe any ignore anything that's a stub.

Edit: just ran Dop-Mii v13 and downloaded/installed all the IOS unpatched via NUS, ignoring anything that mentioned stubs in any version. Everything seems to be fine.