Tutorial  Updated

Restoring HDD PS3 | OFW/CFW | CEX/DEX

Okay so this tutorial is meant for extreme restore cases. For example maybe you did this and want you're old OFW back, or maybe you're CFW failed on you. This does NOT work with problems on flash. If you have a flash problem you're screwed unless you took a backup of you're flash. Also if you are on a OFW/CEX before you do this then you can only upgrade to OFW/CEX firmware. If you are on a CFW/DEX before you do this then you can go to CFW/DEX firmware. Keep in mind you won't be able to use Windows default format options as it can't read the hdd. Also this isn't any, "gateway", to hacks Sony decrypts the hdd.

Requirements>------

Docking Station similar to this (make sure you find the right one, I use this one though).
PS3 CFW/OFW
USB Flash Drive (2gb or more)
A formatting application (I recommend this it has a free trial just use that once).
A way to properly take out your hdd.

Steps>------

1. Make sure you're PS3 is off.
2. Take out HDD fully without case.

3. Put the fully taken out HDD into the docking station and plug it into you're PC.
4. A message may or may not appear saying that it cannot be detected by Windows. Ignore it.
5. Open EaseUS and at the bottom should be all storages. You should see a blank one.
6. Click on it and format it to FAT32 (deleting everything).
7. Make sure it's you're PS3 and not you're PC.
8. Once done remove and place into PS3 fully put together.
9. Download the latest Sony PS3 firmware from here or if you were a CFW user download you're CFW of choice.
10. Make these folders on your USB (X:\PS3\UPDATE).
11. Rename you're .pup update to PS3UPDAT.PUP and place it inside UPDATE folder.
12. Put in PS3 and turn it on.
13. Follow instructions and afterwards you're new OFW/CFW will be installed and everything is reset!

WARNING: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICK/BROKEN HDD/RLOD. (There shouldn't be any of these things unless you followed directions wrong.)

Last edited by Zero72463,

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All your tutorials are basic stuff. Everybody should know this actually, but hey can't blame you..
Now if you really have some knowledge, tell me, how can I copy my isos to my ntfs external drive?

In Multiman there is an option to detect NTFS drives. Check out Cyan's post here. It will explain how to do it better than I can.
Also the blackscreen games with PSNPatch is not basic. It took me a long time to figure out how to play those games. Be glad I shared it as I had googled it and not much about it came up (only like 1 or 2 questions and they were given weird answers)

Elizabethx90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, this is all simple stuff. BTW, black text on a forum offering a dark mode is a bad idea. I recommend keeping it as default font color.

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, this is all simple stuff. BTW, black text on a forum offering a dark mode is a bad idea. I recommend keeping it as default font color.

This is simple stuff for simple people. I do this to help people that are starters to PS3 don't blame me. You were once there. Somehow you figured it all out and maybe other people will to. Honestly there isn't many new things or very hard things that are useful in PS3. You can't expect to much in tutorials now a days.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am not some kid writing crappy tutorials I am a coder too. I answered you're question @ArturDat3DS.
So what I have been posting simple material? I know a lot about PS3 I have been through so many problems with it. Idk why you are hating so much. I could sense in you're question that you thought I couldn't answer it. The least you could do for getting my answer is respecting me thats all I ask.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have appreciated this long ago, before I knew such things, for sure. Good work. And hey, someone might need a good solid explanation like yours within their tutorial. Helps everyone out.

Reactions: Zero72463

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have appreciated this long ago, before I knew such things, for sure. Good work. And hey, someone might need a good solid explanation like yours within their tutorial. Helps everyone out.

Yes. If for some reason you can't go into restore mode and you're XMB isn't working this is fool-proof. Thanks for supporting!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/