Restoring Computer to factory settings (help me)

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to restore my computer as if i just bought it with all the stuff you have to do to configure it such as accounts and what not. I tried looking it up but i could not figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

JM1321

JME1321
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
What You need to do is a format. if needed take a backup of your important files and format your pc. You will need an original Windows/(Any Os) cd or a cracked version with windows loader.

BlackWizzard17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well all the important files i need are on my flash drive and i think this computer came with windows 7 already and didn't have a recovery disc. do i still have to follow the steps or download windows 7

JM1321

JME1321
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
To Put it in simple steps, you need to:
1) Download A Cracked version of windows (if you don't have the original.)
2)Make Your computer bootable from cd.
3)Follow the insturction on the link - How to format your computer with wondows 7.
4)After format and installation you must run Windows loader to crack pirated version of windows.
Steps 1) and 2) are only if you don't have an original copy of widows.
I will Pm you all the links.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
He said a windows 7 pc. Hardware doesnt matter much.
I wasn't asking for the specs. The make and model matter, because modern prebuilt models tend to include a recovery partition (opposed to separate discs), so he wouldn't need to pirate a copy of the ISO or burn it or worry about activation, etc.

However if he's already started formatting it's likely already wiped that section.

Expanding can take a while.

JM1321

JME1321
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Restrart and re format the drive. I Have Never Encountered This Problem before using both cracked and original windows.

BlackWizzard17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay out of Randomness it says

"Windows cannot install required files. The file my be corrupt or missing. make sure all files required for installation are available, and redraft the instalation
Error code: 0x80070017

BlackWizzard17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could but I have no other way of burning, I guess I will have to buy it or see if I can do it at a friends house

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well thanks guys but I just went out and bought windows 8 but thanks again for trying to help

Good on you for buying Windows 8.

But, to answer your question in a way that I think is better than previous posters:

1. DO NOT download a "cracked" version of Windows. This is your OS we are talking about here. Don't trust some 17-year-old script kiddie living in his mom's basement to modify that kind of stuff for you! You can download legit, unmodified copies of the install disks for FREE directly from Microsoft. Windows 7 links are here, and information on how to get Windows 8 disks is here.

2. You can either burn the images to a disk, or what I usually recommend, make a bootable USB drive. Doing the former requires burning software and (more importantly) a working disk drive. The latter can be accomplished with virtually no new tools by following this guide (it works for Windows 8 as well).

3. Boot from your install media and put Windows on your machine. Choose "Advanced Installation" and delete any existing partitions on your disk. Then click "Next" and let the installer to its thing.

4. Boot up your system and get all of the drivers you need. Windows Update will do most of this for you if you let it, making it so that you only need to find and install your wireless or wired networking driver. Use "Computer Management", and copy the hardware ID of the device into the search box of the Microsoft Update Catalog. It will generally return the driver (or list of drivers) that can be used for that particular device.

That's pretty much the basics. The rest is just practice and time.

BlackWizzard17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good on you for buying Windows 8.

But, to answer your question in a way that I think is better than previous posters:

1. DO NOT download a "cracked" version of Windows. This is your OS we are talking about here. Don't trust some 17-year-old script kiddie living in his mom's basement to modify that kind of stuff for you! You can download legit, unmodified copies of the install disks for FREE directly from Microsoft. Windows 7 links are here, and information on how to get Windows 8 disks is here.

2. You can either burn the images to a disk, or what I usually recommend, make a bootable USB drive. Doing the former requires burning software and (more importantly) a working disk drive. The latter can be accomplished with virtually no new tools by following this guide (it works for Windows 8 as well).

3. Boot from your install media and put Windows on your machine. Choose "Advanced Installation" and delete any existing partitions on your disk. Then click "Next" and let the installer to its thing.

4. Boot up your system and get all of the drivers you need. Windows Update will do most of this for you if you let it, making it so that you only need to find and install your wireless or wired networking driver. Use "Computer Management", and copy the hardware ID of the device into the search box of the Microsoft Update Catalog. It will generally return the driver (or list of drivers) that can be used for that particular device.

That's pretty much the basics. The rest is just practice and time.
Oh okay thanks very much, i didn't know you could download a legit copy, kinda wasted my money but what the hay.
By the way My computer says that my processor is x64 based, does this mean i can install x64 architecture because i already installed x86

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way My computer says that my processor is x64 based, does this mean i can install x64 architecture because i already installed x86

To the average user, there is negligible difference between running an x86 (32-bit) and an x86-64 (64-bit) operating system. The technical difference is the size of the address space, main memory bus, and to some extent the instructions used by your CPU, but the real world difference is pretty much zero.

Windows 8 32-bit (x86) will run pretty much any program out there (most are still coded and compiled as 32-bit applications). Windows 8 64-bit (x86-64) will run all of the programs that Windows 8 32-bit can run, plus any 64-bit only applications. To be able to do this, Windows 8 64-bit actually installs 2 versions of Windows at the same time: the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version (this is called "Windows on Windows" technology, or WoW for short), thus using up much more disk space.

The only popular programs that I can think of that require a 64-bit version of Windows is/are some of the more advanced editors in the Adobe Creative Suite. So unless you need those, there is very little point in going through the whole install process again just to have a 64-bit operating system, so you might as well just continue to use the one you have.

Some may post here and say that you need the 64-bit version of Windows if you have more than 4GB of RAM. This is incorrect, as the 32-bit Windows kernel can use PAE (Physical Address Extension) to increase the amount of memory it can address, and has incorporated this technology for a long time now, rendering that point moot.

Hope that is understandable.

LoloLakitu

Shwowow Schogog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To the average user, there is negligible difference between running an x86 (32-bit) and an x86-64 (64-bit) operating system. The technical difference is the size of the address space, main memory bus, and to some extent the instructions used by your CPU, but the real world difference is pretty much zero.

Windows 8 32-bit (x86) will run pretty much any program out there (most are still coded and compiled as 32-bit applications). Windows 8 64-bit (x86-64) will run all of the programs that Windows 8 32-bit can run, plus any 64-bit only applications. To be able to do this, Windows 8 64-bit actually installs 2 versions of Windows at the same time: the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version (this is called "Windows on Windows" technology, or WoW for short), thus using up much more disk space.

The only popular programs that I can think of that require a 64-bit version of Windows is/are some of the more advanced editors in the Adobe Creative Suite. So unless you need those, there is very little point in going through the whole install process again just to have a 64-bit operating system, so you might as well just continue to use the one you have.

Some may post here and say that you need the 64-bit version of Windows if you have more than 4GB of RAM. This is incorrect, as the 32-bit Windows kernel can use PAE (Physical Address Extension) to increase the amount of memory it can address, and has incorporated this technology for a long time now, rendering that point moot.

Hope that is understandable.
What if he has more than 4GB of RAM?
EDIT: Didn't read the whole thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.