Hacking Restoring a Wii to Factory Settings

Cheeseweasel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi GBAtemp
I've had my Wii since Christmas of 2006, and as new hacks and things have come out, I've installed those, along with installing a YAOSM modchip and God-knows-what-else. (All softmods, though; the chip is the only hardware mod.)

Anyway, somewhere along the line, my Wii lost the ability to play backups. My Wii system menu says it's IOS 4.0E. Preloader says I'm running IOS v60, Systemmenu v418.

I still have the ability to run originals, and (fingers crossed) aside from playing backups, no functions of my Wii seem bricked, normal or otherwise.

Interestingly, if I try and boot a backup via Gecko OS or NeoGamma, the disc spins, the game launches and the program identifies the title, etc, but as soon as it loads, I get that specific game's "The Game Disc could not be read." screen. I've tried Scarface: The World Is Yours (a brand new backup disc) and Pikmin 2 "New Play Control" and neither can be run from my Wii.

If there is no solution to my specific problem, is there any way of restoring the Wii to the closest I can get to an out-of-the-box Wii, so I can follow a softmod guide? I've tried to follow guides but since I have outdated versions of software, and certain software already installed etc, it's not really possible.

Any help appreciated.
Kieran

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah i would like to know this too, god knows what i have installed over the last 2 years on my Wii. And would kind of like to start from scratch, wiping everything of my Wii, that has ever been install and just getting a fresh FW on there! I though updating straight form Nintendo removed any ability to get the HBC??

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
So my Wii is fitted with a WiiKey V1, so i could just go to system update and it would wipe everything from my Wii console that i have installed over the year (does this include BootMii & Preloader) and then just use Bannerbomb to install the HBC again and start from scratch?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
lettuce said:
So my Wii is fitted with a WiiKey V1, so i could just go to system update and it would wipe everything from my Wii console that i have installed over the year (does this include BootMii & Preloader) and then just use Bannerbomb to install the HBC again and start from scratch?
Yeah, but do you really want that?

It does remove Bootmii and preloader btw.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Well something i have installed within the 2 years has stopped, 'Williams Pinball collection' from working on my Wii, when i insert the disc it completely locks up the Wii. It just got me thinking what else have i installed over the years that i dont need anymore and may be causing conflicts on the Wii. If updating through the Wii system update itself will remove all tickets, wads and what not then great. Unless there is another homebrew app that lists everything installed on the wii and give options to remove stuff???

Cheeseweasel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure updating to System Menu 4.2 WON'T brick my modchipped Wii? Or if it will brick the Wii, is there a fix for it?

Thanks for the help so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu