Hacking Question Restoring a modded switch back to standard firmware.

mcdij

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone point to me to guide to restoring an unpatched switch back to factory soft/firmware?

All I seem to be able to find is guide on how to mod it.

I have a backup that I made before I modded anything.

Thanks in advance!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can someone point to me to guide to restoring an unpatched switch back to factory soft/firmware?

All I seem to be able to find is guide on how to mod it.

I have a backup that I made before I modded anything.

Thanks in advance!
Simple, just restore your NAND backup and delete the hack files on the SD.
If you have updated the sysNAND and booted OFW since hacking, you can't go back though.
If you used emuNAND as you should have, nothing is permanently modified on the Switch and you could simply uninstall AutoRCM (if you have it) and boot normal OFW.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

mcdij

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple, just restore your NAND backup and delete the hack files on the SD.
If you have updated the sysNAND and booted OFW since hacking, you can't go back though.
If you used emuNAND as you should have, nothing is permanently modified on the Switch and you could simply uninstall AutoRCM (if you have it) and boot normal OFW.

I updated the software from 9x to 10.0.0, the games boot if I select sysnand CFW in the hekate menu, does this mean i cant go back?

If i select stock (is this OFW?) in the hekate menu I get an error running the games.

Can I restore my original backup?

Thanks.

Last edited by mcdij,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I updated the software from 9x to 10.0.0, the games boot if I select sysnand CFW in the hekate menu, does this mean i cant go back?

If i select stock (is this OFW?) in the hekate menu I get an error running the games.

Can I restore my original backup?

Thanks.
By OFW, I mean booting by powering on the system normally, and not from RCM or AutoRCM. If you've done that after updating, the fuses will be burnt so you can't go back to a lower OFW. You can check your fuse count with Hekate.
Worst case, you can restore the NAND, boot into "OFW" (in Hekate), the fuse check patches will still be in place so you can update again, but that will leave you with a not 100% clean NAND, so it should only be a last resort. Anyway, if you end up having to do that, you should update officially, so there is not a sudden mismatch with the expected firmware version from Nintendo's side.
You might be flagged for a ban already, if you booted into "OFW" from Hekate and let it connect to the internet, unless you have Incognito.

mcdij

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By OFW, I mean booting by powering on the system normally, and not from RCM or AutoRCM. If you've done that after updating, the fuses will be burnt so you can't go back to a lower OFW. You can check your fuse count with Hekate.

I loaded the cached fuses info (Console Info/Fuses) and have the following :

Burnt Fuses (0DM 7/6): 10 - 0

Am I in trouble?

I'm 90% sure Auto NoCG was enabled before upgrading, if that makes any difference.

Done a bit of reading, if I am understanding things corectly, the expected fuses is supposed to be 13 for 10.x and my fuses are 10 which is for version 8.1.

So I'm good to go right?

Thanks.

Last edited by mcdij,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I loaded the cached fuses info (Console Info/Fuses) and have the following :

Burnt Fuses (0DM 7/6): 10 - 0

Am I in trouble?

I'm 90% sure Auto NoCG was enabled before upgrading, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
That's the fuse count for 8.1.0, I guess that's the firmware version you were on before you hacked the console. You should be good to go, just restore the backup and delete any CFW/hack related files. Might be best to format the MicroSD card.

mcdij

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the fuse count for 8.1.0, I guess that's the firmware version you were on before you hacked the console. You should be good to go, just restore the backup and delete any CFW/hack related files. Might be best to format the MicroSD card.

Thanks, now just to be sure, all I need to do is restore the backup and format the SD card?

I read somewhere something about clearing logs?

This console has never been online in a modded state

Thanks.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks, now just to be sure, all I need to do is restore the backup and format the SD card?

I read somewhere something about clearing logs?

This console has never been online in a modded state

Thanks.
The logs in the backup are clean, so clearing them would only make things worse since there would be a mismatch between those and what's on Nintendo's servers.

mcdij

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The logs in the backup are clean, so clearing them would only make things worse since there would be a mismatch between those and what's on Nintendo's servers.

One last thing, sorry.

When restoring my switch, which option do I choose?

eMMC Boot0 & Boot1

eMMC Raw GPP

or eMMC ALL?

Thanks.

mcdij

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I have two sets of files

BOOT0 and BOOT1 files and 15 rawnand files, but they are all in one folder.

Im pretty sure that isnt supposed to be the case. Do the BOOT files go in the partitions folder and all the rawnand files go in the restore folder?

Thanks.

eMMC ALL, I think.

depends on your backup, is it ALL?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
ok, I have two sets of files

BOOT0 and BOOT1 files and 15 rawnand files, but they are all in one folder.

Im pretty sure that isnt supposed to be the case. Do the BOOT files go in the partitions folder and all the rawnand files go in the restore folder?

Thanks.
I think it's correct, just move that whole folder into restore.
If it's wrong, you'll get errors.

nintendogame

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I have nintendo V.1
for 2 year CFW mode using atmosphere, (RCM Loader) and using different sd card for CFW, keep airplane mode.
and then i get my nintendo factory reset, backup and using another sdcard.
for one day my nintendo safe playing online. but in the morning i get banned.
is there my step are wrong? just curious, need help if there any link to keep me safe another time

AD2076

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have nintendo V.1
for 2 year CFW mode using atmosphere, (RCM Loader) and using different sd card for CFW, keep airplane mode.
and then i get my nintendo factory reset, backup and using another sdcard.
for one day my nintendo safe playing online. but in the morning i get banned.
is there my step are wrong? just curious, need help if there any link to keep me safe another time
Factory reset is not enough to "clear" the nand from cfw

Reactions: Hayato213

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse