Hacking Question Restore Factory Settings Without Deleting Save Data - Ban Still Possible?

Switcherooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys - so I haven't gone online with my Switch since using SX OS. I'm going to factory-restore my switch and start using emunand, but if I do the option to keep my save data (https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...tings-without-deleting-save-data-1200199.html) is there still a risk of being banned if I go back online?

I could be completely mistaken but, SX emunand isn’t actually real emunand. They just partition it (rather than pointing it to a SD card partition).

Nintendo will be able to see that the emunand is the “wrong size” hypothetically... from what I have read.

So I think there is still a ban risk until a “real” emunand is released.

That’s why I’m still sitting on my virgin 2.0FW switch lol.

Vetrans please correct me if I’m wrong !

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I could be completely mistaken but, SX emunand isn’t actually real emunand. They just partition it (rather than pointing it to a SD card partition).

Nintendo will be able to see that the emunand is the “wrong size” hypothetically... from what I have read.

So I think there is still a ban risk until a “real” emunand is released.

That’s why I’m still sitting on my virgin 2.0FW switch lol.

Vetrans please correct me if I’m wrong !

Cheers, although I heard that was misinformation? https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-does-sx-os-emunand-work.518936/

That's a separate issue though, I'm not going to set up the emunand immediately, I want to restore my Nintendo account and redownload my purchased games before doing anything - if I keep my existing save data (which includes games that weren't previously on my account) - is there a risk of being banned?

Reactions: Switcherooo

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using CFW since CFW was a thing and I've not been banned. I've played XCI offline, NSP offline, used SX OS's emuNAND , used homebrew, booted CFW with internet still connected (not loaded homebrew though), cleared logs, updated XCI and NSP games in OFW, connected online with the switch on a lower FW than my fuses should allow and actually updated multiple times whilst on a FW I shouldn't be on and still not banned.

From what I can see, there's no confirmed bans from SX OS's emuNAND but people believe there's the potential that Nintendo could be able to tell you're using SX OS VIA the telemetry and therefore you'd get banned. I personally will only believe it when I see it happen, every single thing you do that isn't official could theoretically get you banned (except RCM, I don't believe they have the ability to log that). If you want to be really really safe I'd wait for an emuNAND implementation where the sysNAND remains untouched but it might no even be necessary, only time will tell.

The only things that I absolutely will not do because the risk is too high is: play XCI online, play NSP online and use LayeredFS.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I factory reset there#s no record of it though, apart from the saves?
Factory reset does NOT eliminate all traces of CFW/hacking; only restoring a clean hack-free NAND can completely reset your Switch. For example, a factory reset does not remove any bogus error codes generated via homebrew.

Reactions: pinbi7

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Factory reset does NOT eliminate all traces of CFW/hacking; only restoring a clean hack-free NAND can completely reset your Switch. For example, a factory reset does not remove any bogus error codes generated via homebrew.
Damn, already did a full factory reset and connected to the eShop - I don't suppose there's anything I can do now :O

Last edited by crimsonnight,

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Have u ever been ban after that?

Sorry I haven't risked going back online again after finding out that it could lead to a ban :unsure: Shame though as I'd purchase games like Mario Maker and Smash to use on my standard NAND if I was confident it wouldn't lead to a ban...

Rushhour77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im in kinda the same situation. Lost my clean nand. CFW switch from firmware 6 and stayed offline. Factory restore and went online to upgrade officially to firmware 7.
Copied CFW to emummc and again Factory restored switch. Updated officially to 8.1.0 and installed Fortnite.
So now I use emummc for HB and OFW for online (only fortnite actually) since yesterday.
We'll see how soon, if ever, I get banned. Hope not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really...