Hacking Question Restore bricked ipatched switch by putting EMMC-Chip into other unpatched switch and then back?

jobo5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, my ipatched Switch on 4.1.0 is bricked, only Nintendo -> Switch Logo or while trying to enter reset menu by button holding black screen follows. I have installed Android successful, than i installed reboot_to_payload? in TWRP, but after next boot the Problem happend.
!!!! Now I have a second unpatched switch and I'm thinking, could I put the EMMC-Chip from my bricked Switch into the unpatched Switch and restore the right hekate Backup of my ipatched Switch and after that put the EMMC-chip back to my Ipatched Switch to boot it??? !!!!
Ist it that possible?
I have rawnand+boot0/1+ biskeys ... Does Hekate error because of wrong backup with wrong console unique parts?
How could I fix this?
Does other tools help like NXNandManager, HacDiskMount?
The last chance is using an EMMC-Writer? I know usb version has problems with boot0/1.
Thank you.

jobo5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can I backup the bricked EMMC or better partitions like boot0/1 in the unpatched switch and then compare it with the first backup from ipatched switch?
It was always on FW 4.1.0 because of pegascape.
Thanks

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, you bricked, NAND is specific to each console, leave your two unpatched unit alone.
I know that it's unique, but does hekate flash wrong Nand. Many electronic devices may do that. There is aölways a warning, you shouldn' t do that.
If I put out the EMMC-chip of my unpatched switch and later in, nothing has changed. All bits are unchanged or does the switch have another memory chip?

Last edited by jobo5,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I backup the bricked EMMC or better partitions like boot0/1 in the ipatched switch and then compare it with the first backup from ipatched switch?
It was always on FW 4.1.0 because of pegascape.
Thanks

I know that it's unique, but does hekate flash wrong Nand. Many electronic devices may do that. There is aölways a warning, you shouldn' t do that.
If I put out the EMMC-chip of my unpatched switch and later in, nothing has changed. All bits are unchanged or does the switch have another chip memory chip?

It would want the specific motherboard it is associated with, not just the EMMC, it would just refuse to boot even you attempt to restore it with a different motherboard.

jobo5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you!
Does hekate really backup/restore a "bit to bit" copy for the rawnand and the same with boot0/1?
If so i must find a way to restore the ipatched EMMC-Chip with a soft or hardware writer or wait for team-executer core if there' s any solution.
My first thought was to write back wrong EMMC-chip "bit by bit" with hekate in the unpatched console and then put the chip back to ipatched switch to boot. If that doesn*t work, you wrote, then hekate doesn't do a real rawcopy of EMMC-chip. So it combines the backup with biskeys and hardware crypto in tegra chip or implemented algo in hekate?

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@jobo5 if you have a emmc backup of the bricked ipatched switch yes, you can put the emmc chip in the unpatched switch and use it to restore the backup.

Reactions: jobo5

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@jobo5 if you have a emmc backup of the bricked ipatched switch yes, you can put the emmc chip in the unpatched switch and use it to restore the backup.

That doesn't solve his issue, he want to use the motherboard of the unpatched unit to restore the NAND of the patched unit, he is just not going anywhere with this as, even if he restore the NAND using the unpatched unit, when he put in back into the patched unit it still won't work due to the way console specific key work. If it was doable then there would had been a guide already.

Last edited by Hayato213,

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That doesn't solve his issue, he want to use the motherboard of the unpatched unit to restore the NAND of the patched unit, he is just not going anywhere with this as, even if he restore the NAND using the unpatched unit, when he put in back into the patched unit it still won't work due to the way console specific key work. If it was doable then there would had been a guide already.

That can solve the issue, hekate don't use any key to backup or restore the nand because make a raw backup, so whenever he use the nand backup of the ipatched switch the console or method used to restore the nand does not matter

jobo5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello Raugo, thank you. Now we are 2 persons who understand rawbackup and rawrestore is doing bitcopy like an Image on a PC. If you could show me a source it will be very nice. I haven't found it.
Perhaps I will wait for further users who give me more details. I think the best one is hekate's programmer self. How could we send him the question with a link from here?
Is there anyone who could test it on a second switch, that should also work on 2 unpatched switches?

Is there anyone who could test it on a second switch, that should also work on 2 unpatched switches?
If you look in NxNandManager Readme there is the partition table with columns: Name, size, encypt. Boot0/1 are not encrypted! Native encrypted are PRODINFO, PRODINFOF, SAVE, SYSTEM & USER with BIS keys. But for raw restore that doesn 't matter.
A tool like hekate could have a lock for wrong NAND restore or an option which asks if you would force it? I' ve seen that you have to use a special version of hekate, if you wan' t to write to an expanded EMMC-chip with 64 GB or 128 GB.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swapping the patched console’s eMMC over to an unpatched console, restoring the patched console’s nand backup, then swapping the chip back over to the patched unit should work just fine.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You clearly dont know how a nand backup works.
Hes restoring a nand backup directly with that consoles specific nand it's a 1:1 backup/restore

Theres no guide because it's a very níche situation and that isn't how 1:1 backups work

Like literally how many people actually own 2 unpstched switches especially when emunand exists

Last edited by izy,

jobo5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Swapping the patched console’s eMMC over to an unpatched console, restoring the patched console’s nand backup, then swapping the chip back over to the patched unit should work just fine.
I have done it all with hekate as ZachyCatGames wrote. Both consoles are working perfect. One Problem was to get the unpatched one to execute the hekate payload. This worked with dropping on TegraRcmSmash.exe. TegraRcmGUI,exe won't execute the payload hekate as I tried it many times on the unpatched switch. Another problem is described on youtube "Let's Brick The Nintendo Switch!".
I' ll thank you all. this is a very good forum. Happy switching!!! This could be closed!

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

Manaboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have done it all with hekate as ZachyCatGames wrote. Both consoles are working perfect. One Problem was to get the unpatched one to execute the hekate payload. This worked with dropping on TegraRcmSmash.exe. TegraRcmGUI,exe won't execute the payload hekate as I tried it many times on the unpatched switch. Another problem is described on youtube "Let's Brick The Nintendo Switch!".
I' ll thank you all. this is a very good forum. Happy switching!!! This could be closed!
Yo, how did you manage to do this, I'm in a similar situation where i accidentally written my emummc boot0 and boot0 to the actual land of my ipatched switch, after a reboot it gives a blue screen, so I was able to get an un patched switch and with the patched and in the unpatched switch I got it to RCM and copied over my original patched raw nand backup with the original boot0 and boot1 and restored it, after I switched it over to the parched switch, I only get a black no response at all. I tired the YouTube guys suggestion to take off the battery and hold the power down then tried again and still nothing.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yo, how did you manage to do this, I'm in a similar situation where i accidentally written my emummc boot0 and boot0 to the actual land of my ipatched switch, after a reboot it gives a blue screen, so I was able to get an un patched switch and with the patched and in the unpatched switch I got it to RCM and copied over my original patched raw nand backup with the original boot0 and boot1 and restored it, after I switched it over to the parched switch, I only get a black no response at all. I tired the YouTube guys suggestion to take off the battery and hold the power down then tried again and still nothing.
Read it! He said he followed this in his post.

Manaboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Read it! He said he followed this in his post.
An update, so because I accidentally copied my emummc which is updated to fw 16 boot 0 and boot1 to my actual emmc nand which ended up giving a blue screen, I restored both the emmc and the boot0/1 from an original backup I had, it resulted in a blank screen, unbrick guide (https://suchmememanyskill.github.io/guides/unbrick/#early-boot-errors) said it could be burnt fuse and firmware mismatch.

At his point I just wanted to get the system working, so I put my dead nand in my unpatched switch, insert the micro SD card from the ipatched switch to the unpatched and did a SD card emummc backup that I later flashed to the dead nand and the ipatched switch boots up now and shows OFW16 now I understand this means it can't run cfw but at least it's unbricked and I can install modchip to run CFW.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool