DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
This is based on a response from emailing Nintendo about it, as I had not heard anything regarding it since it was unveiled and I wanted to know (apologies if this had already been disclosed).

http://i.imgur.com/qqzN7Ir.png

This is exciting news imo. While it seems that Wii U games will have to include them on a game-to-game basis (much like the Classics and Pro controllers), the adapter is going to be compatible with Wii mode and any Wii game that has GC controller support. From this, it sounds like it will include not just your typical Wii games, but also Wiiware and VC titles.

One thing I should have asked alongside this was if both connections needed to be plugged into the Wii U, or if it was more like a Y-cable, having a data and power plug.

One other thing. Because they seem to indicate that it'll work with whatever worked on the Wii, perhaps that'll also mean it'll work with stuff like Nintendon't.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Interesting indeed ...seems like the adapter will literally emulate a GC port (that seems why Wii games will see it as a normal GC controller)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Very interesting. I assume this would need Wii mode to have a full overhaul in order to make this work, though. I kinda wonder what that would do to current homebrew that have to apply patches to the IOS's, particularly nintendon't which is already doing something similar to patch in gamecube ports for games to find them where they should be when it's really something connected through USB

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am liking the sound of this, will hopefully make the likes of Devolution or Nintendon't perfect

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
> no one makes a comment about possible PC implications, namely that this isn't an HID device

I'd imagine that someone might figure out sooner or later on how to get this working on a PC. Perhaps examining how it works under Wii mode might shed some light on the matter.

mercuryshadow09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is based on a response from emailing Nintendo about it, as I had not heard anything regarding it since it was unveiled and I wanted to know (apologies if this had already been disclosed).

http://i.imgur.com/qqzN7Ir.png

This is exciting news imo. While it seems that Wii U games will have to include them on a game-to-game basis (much like the Classics and Pro controllers), the adapter is going to be compatible with Wii mode and any Wii game that has GC controller support. From this, it sounds like it will include not just your typical Wii games, but also Wiiware and VC titles.

One thing I should have asked alongside this was if both connections needed to be plugged into the Wii U, or if it was more like a Y-cable, having a data and power plug.

One other thing. Because they seem to indicate that it'll work with whatever worked on the Wii, perhaps that'll also mean it'll work with stuff like Nintendon't.

Looked like more of a confirmation than a suggestion.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like an error to me.
Adapter release is for Smash for Wii U, email says they do not have info about Wii U games compatibility.
I do not remember any wired controllers which can be used with usb connection on Wii.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Looks like an error to me.
I do not remember any wired controllers which can be used with usb connection on Wii.

There are none officially; the email says any Wii mode software that used GC controllers would be compatible which hints Nintendo will give a big vWii update that redirects the adapter as actual GC ports.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
There are none officially; the email says any Wii mode software that used GC controllers would be compatible which hints Nintendo will give a big vWii update that redirects the adapter as actual GC ports.
Controller support is hardcoded into the game in Wii games afaik.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Technically all Nintendo needs is to map the adapter to the corresponding hardware I/O addresses such that when Wii games probe for GameCube controllers, they'll interact with the adapter seamlessly. We already know Nintendo is able to add functionality to Wii Mode (e.g. Off TV Play). So let's just hope the statement is correct. I'd love to play Muramasa again with a GameCube controller.

Reactions: SG

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems very promising. I'm guessing we'll still need a firmware update to the vWii to allow those front USB ports to be accessed and then to recognize them as if they were the typical gamecube ports in the standard Wii.

Having said that, I think this might bode well for the likes of Nintendont. (That is assuming they too can get access to those front usb ports and interpret the adapter).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs