DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
This seems very promising. I'm guessing we'll still need a firmware update to the vWii to allow those front USB ports to be accessed and then to recognize them as if they were the typical gamecube ports in the standard Wii.

Having said that, I think this might bode well for the likes of Nintendont. (That is assuming they too can get access to those front usb ports and interpret the adapter).

Well, I can say that I was able to access the Wii Shop in Wii mode using an ethernet adapter connected to one of the front ports on the Wii U, so the capability is there.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can say that I was able to access the Wii Shop in Wii mode using an ethernet adapter connected to one of the front ports on the Wii U, so the capability is there.

Yeah, I heard that it shouldn't be an issue at all for the vWii to have access to those ports. Though honestly I didn't know the accessibility was already there.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii LAN Adapter has always connected via USB to the Wii (and now Wii U)...

Yes... thats not the point at all. The point is, the vWii has access to the two extra USB ports that the Wii U has in the front of the system. Him plugging the LAN adapter into one of the front ports instead of the back ports and allowing him to connect to the internet in the vWii is what I found interesting, not simply the fact that he connected his Wii U to the internet via a LAN adapter.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yes... thats not the point at all. The point is, the vWii has access to the two extra USB ports that the Wii U has in the front of the system. Him plugging the LAN adapter into one of the front ports instead of the back ports and allowing him to connect to the internet in the vWii is what I found interesting, not simply the fact that he connected his Wii U to the internet via a LAN adapter.

It'd be immensely stupid of Nintendo not to make certain ports work in vWii... As I mentioned, they've enhanced vWii in certain ways already. Not out of the ordinary to add GC controller support. Let's wait and see. :o

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd be immensely stupid of Nintendo not to make certain ports work in vWii... As I mentioned, they've enhanced vWii in certain ways already. Not out of the ordinary to add GC controller support. Let's wait and see. :o

That is not my point at all. I always expected those ports would be accessible from the vWii, but I thought it would come in a future update, I didn't realize it could already do it. My only point here. Not saying I'm shocked that i can, nor that you can use a LAN adapter to connect online. Just surprised the implementation is actually already there.

Reactions: SG

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why it wouldn't work... we have homebrew that can take USB gamepads and work just fine with them!

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why it wouldn't work... we have homebrew that can take USB gamepads and work just fine with them!

True, but as far as I know, no homebrew in the vWii yet allows for USB controllers to be accessed from the front ports. I'm sure that compatibility is coming soon, but I haven't yet seen it.

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but as far as I know, no homebrew in the vWii yet allows for USB controllers to be accessed from the front ports. I'm sure that compatibility is coming soon, but I haven't yet seen it.

So... use the back ports!

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... use the back ports!

The Gamecube controller adapter utilizes 2 USB ports. If you're using a hard drive to load your Wii and GC games, than that means at least one of the back ports is being used (2 if your hard drive needs 2 ports to stay powered on with the Wii U), meaning the back ports for this are all used up. We're just gonna have to wait for the modders to figure out how to get access to the front ports (that is again, if you're utilizing your USB hard drive to load your Wii and GC games on your Wii U).

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The Gamecube controller adapter utilizes 2 USB ports. If you're using a hard drive to load your Wii and GC games, than that means at least one of the back ports is being used (2 if your hard drive needs 2 ports to stay powered on with the Wii U), meaning the back ports for this are all used up. We're just gonna have to wait for the modders to figure out how to get access to the front ports (that is again, if you're utilizing your USB hard drive to load your Wii and GC games on your Wii U).

One of my Wii U rear USB ports is already being used for the LAN adaptor so I'll be using the front ports although I would've preferred the cables of it to stay hidden 'cause it'll probably look messy.

A solution is to buy a multi port USB device and the issue's solved.

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, one of those ports is just for power... time to get a multi-port HUB you can plug into a power socket!

The issue here isn't the number of ports, actually. The WiiU has even less power going to its USB ports than the Wii, same with the back ones....

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Just saw that the Super Smash Bros. Wii U Bundle is coming with the Controller and the USB Adapter but the GameStop product page for the "Bundle" says it'll include the game and the controller, so I'm confused.

Still, I sent them an email today so tomorrow I should have a response and if it's what I expect it to be (GAME + CONTROLLER + ADAPTER) then I'll pre-order straight away and it costs £60 (in US it's $99)!

£30 - game
£20 - adapter
£10 - controller

I was looking to get a cheap deal for the game only but screw that, I want the GameCube adapter and controller too at that time!

Reactions: filfat

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What would be the point of bundling the game with ONLY the GameCube controller without the appropriate adapter? Not even anintendo can be that foolish. Preordering no matter what, need that game one way or another.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The cheapest price right now is £36 (TheGameCollection) but if the Bundle does actually come with Game + Controller + Adapter then I'm happy to spend £60 on it instead. I so damnly want to play it with the NGC controller again and NGC games on the Wii U (release them on the eShop, Nintendo!).

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, one of those ports is just for power... time to get a multi-port HUB you can plug into a power socket!

The issue here isn't the number of ports, actually. The WiiU has even less power going to its USB ports than the Wii, same with the back ones....

For me the issue IS the number of ports. My Wii HDD takes up one of the back ports, I keep the second port in the back open for either my Skylanders portal or a mic/headset. The top front port is connected to my Wii U HDD which, BTW is connected by a USB-Y cable with, one port to the Wii U and the other to an extension cable, connected to a socket on the other side of the living room. All of this only leaves me with ONE USB port left and it seems like I'm going to have to connect the GameCube adapter in the same manner as my Wii U HDD. The lack of power coming through these ports is utter bullshit. I'm all about being eco friendly but NOT at the cost of efficiency.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm all about being eco friendly but NOT at the cost of efficiency.
That's not it. USB specification limits the power output a USB port may have. Some manufacturers and devices go around this (e.g. Apple), but in the end it's all about conforming to specifications as required by the license to use technology like this. Manufacturers only came out with Y-cables to workaround this limitation. It never was an actual solution to the problem, but it stuck and people started using it. Remember, Nintendo even recommends to use an externally powered HDD with its own power adapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: