Gaming Resident Evil Revelations gets 6/10 from EDGE!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Famitsu's editors praised the game's effective use of stereoscopic 3D for presentation. Additionally, they described the graphics as so beautiful that they make you rethink what the 3DS hardware is capable of.

Fly on the wall look at the Famitsu review team -

Reviewer 1 - Right we're reviewing Resident Evil Revelations today.
Reviewers 2, 3 and 4 - HOORAY!
Reviewer 1 - Here we go, cart inserted. Let's play!
Reviewer 1 - Wow. It's got great graphics. Looks so nice i'd rather just look at it and the groovy 3D than play it and do a realistic gameplay and performance review. Grooooooooooovy!
Reviewers 2, 3 and 4 - HoooOOOOoooOOOoooORRRAaaaAAYYYYyyyy!1!!!!111!

(Hours Pass)

Reviewer 1 - Right. I'm going to score it 9 because it looked so pretty.
Reviewer 1 - What about you guys? Got to keep the Publishers happy you know..
Reviewers 2, 3 and 4 - hooray!???
Reviewer 1 - No, no, no. What do you score it out of 10, bearing in mind if we score it highly consumers will lap it up irrespective of any glaring flaws.
Reviewers 2, 3 and 4 - 10!!! HOORAY!
Reviewer 1 - Good work guys. 39/40 because it's so pretty. To think we almost never recovered from reviewing Vib Ribbon all those years ago....

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Played the demo now. Before the demo it was an instant buy for me, now I'll wait and get it cheap from ebay someday. It feels like just another 3rd person shooter.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Played the demo now. Before the demo it was an instant buy for me, now I'll wait and get it cheap from ebay someday. It feels like just another 3rd person shooter.
I respect opinions but...

have you actually tried the demo at "very strong" 3D and with headphones on?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Based on the demo, review is correct.
I read your other comment about the graphics sucking. If that is your true opinion then maybe you won't pleasantly happy with the capabilities of the 3DS. I'm not saying your opinion is invalid.
Well...

1. Graphics don't fully make a game. FULLY.
2. RE: Rev is a survival horror shooter. It won't be enjoyable unless you put on headphones/whatever.
3. This is just a demo. The graphics might look 'bad' because it is compressed.

Reactions: 1 person

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Yes and no. I've never played any game with headphones on. Anyway... how can those two arrangements magically transform a linear 3rd person shooter into a survival horror game?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Yes and no. I've never played any game with headphones on. Anyway... how can those two arrangements magically transform a linear 3rd person shooter into a survival horror game?
Trust me. The feel is totally different. Before I put on the headphones and played the demo in a cafe it really sucked especially with the 3DS POS Speakers!!

Then I went home and tried it on with my Galaxy S II's headphones and woah. I mean really. It really shocked me like hell when those two asshole mutated beings fell down.

EDIT: of course. Different people have different perceptions. Some may not like it, but some will.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Based on the demo, review is correct.
I read your other comment about the graphics sucking. If that is your true opinion then maybe you won't pleasantly happy with the capabilities of the 3DS. I'm not saying your opinion is invalid.
Well...

1. Graphics don't fully make a game. FULLY.
2. RE: Rev is a survival horror shooter. It won't be enjoyable unless you put on headphones/whatever.

The graphics are phenomenal in the demo, a whole generation leap over what other 3DS games have shown. Add in the very strong 3D for a compelling experience, it's the best stunning visual game on the 3DS.

Has anyone wondered how a 2D specific game will look on the 3DS? :P

Reactions: 2 people

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
There is a particular sound effect in this demo, it's in 3D. One could only hear it in 3D while wearing a headphone. It's like, how a sound would come if we hit an empty soda can with a spoon several times. When you wear a headphone it feels like its coming from behind the right side of your head. When I head this SFX the first time, I lowered down the volume thinking someone is knocking somewhere lol. when I heard it again, I was like, Ah, that's brilliant. I am really incredibly in love with this game. Really wishing to play it very soon.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some details from the review.

- 'Revelations picks up the ball and runs even farther towards the casual-shooter goal.' The addition of the side-step has 'removed one of its most pivotal suspense devices: your sense of helplessness.'

f6743a77_DarthVaderNooo.jpeg
there is a side-step button? O.o? where was it in the demo when i almost dropped my 3ds cuz of the 2 falling guys?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Some details from the review.

- 'Revelations picks up the ball and runs even farther towards the casual-shooter goal.' The addition of the side-step has 'removed one of its most pivotal suspense devices: your sense of helplessness.'

*snip*
there is a side-step button? O.o? where was it in the demo when i almost dropped my 3ds cuz of the 2 falling guys?
Hold the L button, and move side to side with the slide pad.

Really? I thought that was what the final game was meant to look like, and those graphics are beautiful imo.

As far as reviews go, I don't agree with the 6/10 score, but I don't think it deserves a 10/10 either. As I only have the demo, it seems more like an 8/10 quality game, which is good enough in most respects to be worth buying.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a particular sound effect in this demo, it's in 3D. One could only hear it in 3D while wearing a headphone. It's like, how a sound would come if we hit an empty soda can with a spoon several times. When you wear a headphone it feels like its coming from behind the right side of your head. When I head this SFX the first time, I lowered down the volume thinking someone is knocking somewhere lol. when I heard it again, I was like, Ah, that's brilliant. I am really incredibly in love with this game. Really wishing to play it very soon.

You realize that this stuff has been in like games and music for decades? Like if I'm playing a shooter game and someone in front of me is shooting, I can move my camera (or head) left and right and have the sound transfer from the left to right ear. I'm positive there's been a fair share of handheld games to do this as well.

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country

You realize that this stuff has been in like games and music for decades? Like if I'm playing a shooter game and someone in front of me is shooting, I can move my camera (or head) left and right and have the sound transfer from the left to right ear. I'm positive there's been a fair share of handheld games to do this as well.

I experienced it the first time so shoot me? What's your point anyway?

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
I experienced it the first time so shoot me? What's your point anyway?

Just pointing out that it's not really revolutionary and it's just kinda odd that this would blow you way. You can go listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and experience the same 3D effect.

Sure, next time I find something fancy, I will wait for your nod before letting it blow my mind. :/

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going gold is when a game is finished but isn't released. It's sent off to the press to review.
Revelations went gold before Christmas.
Okay my bad.
How else do you expect Capcom to print hundreds of thousands of copies and ship them to thousands of retails in just a week's time?

No... Games are often completed 6 weeks or more before the release time to allow time to turn the final copy into a few hundred thousand boxes (carts), and then market it in commercials/magazines. Theres no such thing as "final stages" just 6 days before release, unless maybe its a download-only title where they can send a single copy to thousands' with a few computing clicks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."