Gaming Resident Evil Revelations gets 6/10 from EDGE!

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, sounds like this one's going to be a polarizing game. Nintendo Power gave it a 9/10. The criticisms in their review were pretty much all directed at the story, which given the series' history, should be a minor consideration.

RichardLaughter

Trophies
XP
lol im still getting it. idc what anyone says :) A. the graphics are epic. B. gameplay seems alright. C. its resident FREAKIN evil for god sakes!

bart148

Trophies
Some hybrid between Hyrule and Cerulean City
XP
Country
United States
I applaud the civility and tolerance in this thread when compared to the Gamespot's review of Skyward Sword.

Yeah, that was bad. Everyone was insulting Gamespot like there was no tomorrow. I never cared about their reviews (gamespot) Because i always felt they were a little biased.

Reactions: 1 person

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so im reading This article by IGN (they got their copy earlia and will have a review this week) and im now convinced the resident evil i once knew is dead.

First of all "no zombies" or so the article says... now i get that including new enemies is cool and i also get that the new enemies have made this game very scary, sure this is all great but zombies are what a resident evil game is known for, there are films based on it and guess what? THEY HAVE ZOMBIES!

Secondly, What the funk is with the new "sidestep" feature? We dont need that. For years we have played games without it and correct me if im wrong but the games continue to sell amazingly well. (Yes even resident evil 5)

Thirdly goto the 30th min of this video and tell me, If you didnt read the title of what video you were watching, would you think you were watching a resident evil game? Or does it look like some random game like bulletstorm with aliens or prehaps dead space portable

Bottom line is this isnt a resident evil game to me. Its a good looking shooter shooter with great scare moments and yes its prolly worth buying but Resident evil it is not.

Rant over.

Lusankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok so im reading This article by IGN (they got their copy earlia and will have a review this week) and im now convinced the resident evil i once knew is dead.

First of all "no zombies" or so the article says... now i get that including new enemies is cool and i also get that the new enemies have made this game very scary, sure this is all great but zombies are what a resident evil game is known for, there are films based on it and guess what? THEY HAVE ZOMBIES!
Well, there is a new kind of basic enemy, because there is a new type (or let's say a new variant) of the virus. They're still mostly like zombies, just a little less human-like looking.

Secondly, What the funk is with the new "sidestep" feature? We dont need that. For years we have played games without it and correct me if im wrong but the games continue to sell amazingly well. (Yes even resident evil 5)
Yeah, stupid new features! Back then in Dune 2 I could only select one unit at once, and to move this unit I first had to click on "Move" and then on the ground and they wouldn't react if they were attacked from the enemy. What is this fancy new nonsense, that I can order multiple units around? Why is there better graphics than in pong? We didn't need better graphics back then!

Thirdly goto the 30th min of this video and tell me, If you didnt read the title of what video you were watching, would you think you were watching a resident evil game? Or does it look like some random game like bulletstorm with aliens or prehaps dead space portable
Uhm... that is a video of the RAID mode. The video is even titled "Resident Evil: Revelations "Raid Mode"" and they say it multiple times during the video that this is Raid mode and not the campaign.

Rant over.
m(

Next time please inform yourself first and rant about the game later. Just take a look at the official site and you're good to go: http://www.capcom.co.jp/bhrev/en/index.html

Reactions: 2 people

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
@Lusankya i just read everything you just put and i truthfully have no idea what you are trying to say to me about the game other than to purposely disagree and be sarcastic.

The only actual point you vaugely seem to make was about the fact it was raid mode and if i knew it was raid mode...well um... y'know since i quoted about it then one would assume that i watched it and knew what it was, but dont worry easy mistake to make. Im well aware its not the campaign but my point was (as was my whole post) that it does not look like a resident evil game, its lost everything that made resident evil games stand apart from other generic shooters in the past.

Again iv read your post and at no point do you actually argue against my main point all you did was be sarcastic and try to flame.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Famitsu review:

Resident Evil Revelations (3DS, Capcom): 10 / 9 / 10 / 10 - (39/40)

Make of it what you want.

*inb4famitsusucks*

EDIT: Also the demo will be released tomorrow in Europe :D

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
FFXIII got 39 on Famitsu, Nintendogs + Cats got 38. At this stage Famitsu exists to promote and sell games....they're almost like legitimate advertising for videogames.

Lusankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Lusankya i just read everything you just put and i truthfully have no idea what you are trying to say to me about the game other than to purposely disagree and be sarcastic.

The only actual point you vaugely seem to make was about the fact it was raid mode and if i knew it was raid mode...well um... y'know since i quoted about it then one would assume that i watched it and knew what it was, but dont worry easy mistake to make. Im well aware its not the campaign but my point was (as was my whole post) that it does not look like a resident evil game, its lost everything that made resident evil games stand apart from other generic shooters in the past.

Again iv read your post and at no point do you actually argue against my main point all you did was be sarcastic and try to flame.

The point is just because there are no zombies in the classical sense doesn't mean it's not Resident Evil. REsident Evil was never about zombies anyway, it was always about the different viruses and the b.o.w. So it's no big deal that we don't see the same slow zombies from the first REs.
Second what is wrong with being able to do sidesteps? You said: "We dont need that. For years we have played games without it and correct me if im wrong but the games continue to sell amazingly well." Well, with this reasoning there would have never been any progress in video gaming. "Why do we need anything new? It was fine as it was back then." If the developers had thought like you, then the new real time strategy games would still have the same controls as the old dune games.
Third you complained Revelations wasn't a "resident evil game", because of raid mode. So with your logic Resident Evil 2 wouldn't have been a real Resident Evil game if it had included a more action-oriented mini game. Please explain how a separate game mode influences the main game.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FFXIII got 39 on Famitsu, Nintendogs + Cats got 38. At this stage Famitsu exists to promote and sell games....they're almost like legitimate advertising for videogames.
That's why I wrote "Make of it what you want". Also both games you mentioned are good for their respective audience and got good scores nearly everywhere, so it's a matter of opinion I guess.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bottom line is this isnt a resident evil game to me. Its a good looking shooter shooter with great scare moments and yes its prolly worth buying but Resident evil it is not.

Rant over.

Meh...zombies don't define a Resident Evil game for me. Survival and horror do. No one was expecting zombies in this game, so any complaints about that are just silly.

As to the sidestep feature, I never, ever used it in Mercs 3D. The high-score heroes on Youtube seemed to make use of it, though, so I don't see why having it is a bad thing. I doubt I'll use it here, and like Mercs 3D, I doubt it will be a requirement.

And lastly, the video you directed us to says Raid Mode. Now, I haven't researched what that is, but I'm guessing it's something other than the regular story mode of the game. If that is the case, then you're making a very slanted argument using that video.

Bottom line is, this isn't Resident Evil 1. It's the evolution of the series, and really, if you played 4 and/or 5, why would it surprise you in any way how this game turned out. There were folks vehemently making this same argument when 4 first came out. Lots of folks hated that game, in spite of it winning so many GotY awards. Like that game, Revelations is obviously not going to appeal to everyone. I loved the first three games in the series, but I enjoyed the evolution as well. RE5 was a dud for me personally, but that was due more to atmosphere and the fact that I felt the game was corralling me more than ever before. Since then, I've come to terms with where Capcom are taking this series, so I'm approaching this game as an action adventure with great mechanics. If it turns out to be scary or entertaining in any way like the old games, that will just be gravy.

As to Famitsu's scoring, that seems about right to me. They're always very clinical in how they review games. So whereas many western critics are okay overlooking technical flaws in favor of compelling storytelling and the like, the Japanese media seem to appreciate more polished compositions with few techincal flaws. On that scale, I can easily believe Capcom succeeded in Famitsu's eyes.

Reactions: 2 people

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Can anyone translate the comments of the four reviewers? Just a short sentence why they like the game so much.
Famitsu's editors praised the game's effective use of stereoscopic 3D for presentation. Additionally, they described the graphics as so beautiful that they make you rethink what the 3DS hardware is capable of.
http://andriasang.co...amitsu_reviews/

Edit: Also people get too upset over reviews.

D

Deleted User

I didnt want to rant as an off topic, but I want to anyways.

For those who are saying that Resident Evil has gone bad because there arent anymore zombies needs to understand the point of the T-Virus.

The T-Virus's original purpose was to mutate people to make them stronger, and into human drones that were super powerful.

In the earlier games there was a problem and it caused humans to turn in to zombies.

The later the games get (further in the timeline), the stronger the virus became, meaning that it will just turn people into super mutants, rathe than mindless brain eaters.

Don't expect zombies to come back into a resident evil game, unless its a past time story.

http://residentevil....om/Tyrant_virus

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt want to rant as an off topic, but I want to anyways.

For those who are saying that Resident Evil has gone bad because there arent anymore zombies needs to understand the point of the T-Virus.

The T-Virus's original purpose was to mutate people to make them stronger, and into human drones that were super powerful.

In the earlier games there was a problem and it caused humans to turn in to zombies.

The later the games get (further in the timeline), the stronger the virus became, meaning that it will just turn people into super mutants, rathe than mindless brain eaters.

Don't expect zombies to come back into a resident evil game, unless its a past time story.

http://residentevil....om/Tyrant_virus
I understand the point you've made, but in reality, it's the writers for these games that have made it this way. They can just as easily write zombies back into Resident Evil's recent entries and storyline, but for some reason, have chosen not to. Nothing wrong with that, but come on, the T-Virus is just a plot point created by a team of writers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1