Resident Evil: Raccoon City confirmed

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

First details have emerged of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, the much rumoured franchise spin-off from SOCOM developer Slant Six.

According to Official Xbox Magazine's imminent scoop, kindly summarised by StickSkills, it's a team based shooter set in the Resident Evil 2 era that sees up to four players cast in one of three factions.

As a member of the Umbrella Security Services Squad you'll have to scour Raccoon City destroying evidence, head-shotting zombies and brutally sweeping T-Virus survivors under the proverbial rug.

There are also two other teams to choose from, which Capcom apparently insists constitutes a "three-corner conflict". As well as the Umbrella death squad, US Special Ops are also on the scene, as are "bio-organic weapon monsters" created by Umbrella.

The Umbrella team is made up of four new characters: Vector, Beltway, Bertha, and Spectre, and the game will play out slightly differently depending on who you choose. Various familiar faces are due to pop up along the way, including Leon Kennedy.

You'll earn XP as you progress, which allows you to earn new abilities, such as Vector's cloaking skill, and weapons.

It sounds like it's set to be a more gun-ho Resi than we're accustomed to, with ammo management not playing such an important role. "It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away," reads a quote from the OXM piece.

Apparently the game is due out on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in the Autumn.

Expect a shedload more information when Capcom officially takes the wraps of the game, possibly at its annual Captivate event early next month.

Looks like it's set to be a busy year for Resident Evil fans. That's two HD catalogue remakes, two 3DS titles and now this all on the release slate.
[/p]

Source

Sounds like fun.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, rather than give fans what they've been begging for -- a return to the series' roots and something that is actually scary -- they find another vehicle for driving away fans.
hate2.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the title of the thread and said "YESSSSS!"
Of course, I was hoping the wording was wrong. I thought it was going to be a remake of Resident Evil 2 with multiplayer support.

After reading the post, I said "NOOOOOOOOOOO!"
I then saw that it was going to be a team based shooter. The wording had indeed been correct.

I have nothing more to say other than "Why Capcom? Why?"

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
So, rather than give fans what they've been begging for -- a return to the series' roots and something that is actually scary -- they find another vehicle for driving away fans.
hate2.gif

I don't need to say anything else.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Yuck. Thats all I have to say.

I'm actually playing through Resident Evil 2 on my Nintendo 64, but I got stuck at the part with the Licker on the third floor of the police station! Low health, and no bullets!
mad.gif

Anyways, it seems survival horror games as of late have become dumbed down and inferior to games of the past. Beat the first 2 Silent Hill games in the past few months, but since Team Silent left, the series has become... bleh.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
hate2.gif
Wouldn't they save that for RE: 6 instead of a spin off?

I don't mind this, I'd rather it be a remake of the second game with RE4 controls but its not like RE spin offs are bad apart from the Gun Survivor games.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
The multiplayer feature makes this seem very similar to Resident Evil: Outbreak for the PS2.
Oh god I remember playing that. I didn't really like it that much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself