Resetting my Wii - newb help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by radog, Jul 2, 2010.

Jul 2, 2010

Resetting my Wii - newb help by radog at 4:33 AM (1,298 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. radog
    OP

Newcomer radog Newbie

Netherlands
    To start off I apologize I'm a total newb. I signed up on this site years ago when I got an m3 lite and an m3 simply, and have been reading without posting too much. I know all about DS hacking, but have little to no knowledge of wii firmware.

Ok so about a year or two ago my idiot brother decided to hack his Wii. I know he had Wiigator beta set up as a channel on it for awhile, but took it off because the game load times were unbearable (he's extremely impatient). So now I've got the HBC which I can take off with bannerbomb, and probably dvdx which I think comes off with the same uninstaller. The issue is I want to update the Wii, because my mom demands I install Netflix on the Wii, which requires an update. The current system is at 3.4U. Knowing my brother he's left some cIOS's or IOS's modded on the wii. My main clue is when I load the shop channel it just reloads to the main menu. Of course he's too busy in summerschool to work on this or remember what guide he used or what wad he put on.

I tried to do follow this guide, http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...wii-virgin.html however Waninkokos 4.1 updater had an error (1036: Update error through waninkoko's 4.1 firmware updater. Caused if ios60 patched was not previously installed.). So then I tried to install ios60, but received an error message trying to install the cIOS249 rev17 (as recommended by this guide, http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-g...l-working.html). So I gave up and decided to try loading up any title deleter DB and MOD, but both had a multitude of errors and couldn't delete anything. Now I'm afraid to brick the wii since nothing seems to be running, and I've given up on trying to find the guides he used because it was years ago at this point.

TL;DR is there app I can run which will tell me which if any IOS's/cIOS's have been modded and beyond that, how do I uninstall the patches/mods once I know which are present? I would prefer to reset it to virgin, but I don't really care as long as I can get netflix (retail copy) to run.

thank you very much, sorry for being a newb, and I will smack my brother once for each piece of helpful advice I receive

2. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Put the netflix disc into your wii and run it through Gecko OS. It should install the needed IOS to use netflix. You dont need to update your wii.

3. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Run pimp my wii = will update all and any missing IOS's, cIOS's, system menu, etc...(you choose each install) all done automatically over wifi. put pimp my wii on a SD card, in an apps folder, launch with HBC.
    OR use NUS Auto Downloader from xflak, works great, did mine and everything is up to date.
    As far as the netflix disc, you can use priiloader to disable disc updates, or just launch it from Neogamma, it will skip the updates...

4. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    I suppose u could just Format the Wii's System Memory then run NAND Clean 2 fully get read of the 'leftovers' then rehack it (If u still want) and install Netflix!! lol

5. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    Don't give advice that you don't understand. The Setting menu Format does NOTHING to erase CIOS/hacks. All it does is remove channels, saves, and play history[and maybe a few other things].

6. radog
    OP

Newcomer radog Newbie

Netherlands
    Thanks very much yall. I'm going to try some of these today.

and have no idea which of my IOSs are modified and decided to ask here first. But I'll check out Pimp my Wii

7. Riley

Canada
    You only have to run it through gecko os once.

8. radog
    OP

Newcomer radog Newbie

Netherlands
    ok, So I ran it through gecko OS run off the homebrew channel and it still says I need to do a system update for the Wii when it loads from the main menu. Is there something special I have to do in gecko?

9. Riley

Canada
    Did the game run when you used gecko os ? If it did then you have the IOS installed.

Install priiloader and use the system menu hacks. hacks.ini.
    Block Disc Updates
    Set autoboot to system menu

This should block any updates from the disc channel.

10. radog
    OP

Newcomer radog Newbie

Netherlands
    Thank you so much for your help so far

The disc does run through gecko OS.
    an error occurs when I tried to install priiloader.

I found DOP-Mii and used it to run a scan of my system:

so I think that means that IOS 16 has a custom IOS installed or is patched, is there a way to unpatch this? and would that make the Wii safe for the Nintendo update (my system menu is 3.4U). I think I would prefer the legit update since I don't use backups. We only use HBC to run homebrew games and mplayer, and that's easy enough to install/uninstall.

11. Riley

Canada
    If you update your wii it will be on 4.3 which doesnt let you use bannerbomb.

Follow this guide to mod your wii and get you on 4.2.

12. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Do as Riley says.

And you should install Priiloader 0.4, not Preloader as you state. Look at the spelling !!

Once Priiloader is installed, then use its hacks to disable disk and internet updates.

13. radog
    OP

Newcomer radog Newbie

Netherlands
    OK, so sorry I'm failing at life, I tried to uninstall custom IOS 16 before doing that guide and got an error. Have tried Waninkoko updater 4.1 and get error -1036, pretty much any time I run wad manager I get error -1017 or -2011. I've looked through guides, but most require wad manager.

At this point I think I'm considering just leaving it since the disc is working as long as I load it through gecko... I figure that's better than a paperweight.

14. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    As Riley stated,

Follow the guide listed or the sticky at the very top of the page to mod your wii and get you on 4.2.

Or use Xflaks NUS Downloader.

Forget about deleting IOS16, you will just upgrade/overwrite it during the updates.

Or PimpMyWii as also previously suggested, none of these should brick your Wii.

The number one bricker is DELETING IOS's. Don't do it, especially ANY IOS under 200.

15. radog
    OP

Newcomer radog Newbie

Netherlands
    rewrite the IOS... !#$@#!@$, right, that makes the most sense. why that was not my first thought...

that post deserves a triple smack down to my brother. Thanks again Riley, C.S.I., and ddetkowski.

pimp my wii was getting errors when installing, I'll try the NUS Downloader at some point today.

16. radog
    OP

Newcomer radog Newbie

Netherlands
    ok. after over 5,000 failed attempts and error messages, pimpmywii failed, NUS Downloader downloaded files that failed to verify against the checksums, on three computers with disabled firewalls, and three differen't ISPs. Yet Another WAD Manager Mod was getting all kinds of errors. eventually I got pissed off, kicked it, and then everything started working.

thanks for the advice, after the foot-to-the-face hardmod, the guide worked perfectly, priiloader + 4.2 sys menu, netflix doesn't demand a system update, my mom has no idea anything ever happened and thinks nintendo developed The Homebrew Channel [​IMG] .