mcj

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I posted this in the newest firmware update thread, but with all the bickering it's not going to get answered.

So ... if I format the Wii system memory does that bring me back to the original firmware? And if so does anyone know if I update my system that will bring me to the newest firmware or will I have to go through them one at a time.

This is mainly so I can use my Action Replay disc in the event that further Wii updates still render it useless.

I do not have a mod chip so using the Action Replay w/GameCube OS Disc is out of the question for me.

Thanks

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
laugh.gif

ok the first part of your question i cannot answer because i have no knowledge of what it will do.
secondly i can only give you my opinion of this that should you be trying to update on a fresh system that has never recieved an update that it will take you straight through all the updates there has been so far and not take you through them one by one from the first to the last. it's a nice thought but i'm sure doing it this way would take too long.
i'm downloading the manual to find out if there's anything in there.
smile.gif

i can't find anything that specifically states what you are asking so you would need to find out from someone with a brand new wii.
smile.gif

tooknie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I have missed an update in the past it has updated straight to the newest firmware and not given me the option to go in stages (PAL Wii)

Don't know about the reset????

opnr2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have the 2.2U update and remember formatting my console a while after the update. The console remained at version 2.2 but it cleared all other data. So i would assume once you have upgraded your firmware you are stuck with it. It will not reset to factory firmware.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I posted this in the newest firmware update thread, but with all the bickering it's not going to get answered.

So ... if I format the Wii system memory does that bring me back to the original firmware? And if so does anyone know if I update my system that will bring me to the newest firmware or will I have to go through them one at a time.

This is mainly so I can use my Action Replay disc in the event that further Wii updates still render it useless.

I do not have a mod chip so using the Action Replay w/GameCube OS Disc is out of the question for me.

Thanks

if you format your Wii it stays to the current firmware, once you update you can never go back unfortunately, there is no way to update to each firmware piece by piece, the update feature will always look for the latest firmware.

if you haven't updated yet i suggest you don't update at all, maybe someone should contact datel to sort this problem out with the action replay discs as people can't boot their legit import games because of this update now.

mcj

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I already updated. Didn't read about the action replay problems until it was too late.

I guess we can just hope that this wasn't something Nintendo did intentionally and it gets fixed with the next update

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gee....remember the days when consoles never needed firmware updates? I miss those days......the games of those days too, for that matter.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Gee....remember the days when consoles never needed firmware updates? I miss those days......the games of those days too, for that matter.

yes the good old days lol

QUOTEI already updated. Didn't read about the action replay problems until it was too late.

I guess we can just hope that this wasn't something Nintendo did intentionally and it gets fixed with the next update

man bad luck, i'm not surprised that nintendo did this on purpose to block everything out! i don't think we would get a "fix" any time soon, look how long it took for this update to come out! are you gonna wait patiently till then? it's gonna be hard playing the latest games if they are going to be needing the 3.0E firmware, very very hard times...

mcj

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too concerned since I can run emulators on my xbox, or my pc that's connected to the TV. It's just the coolness factor to me to be able to say to my friends: "Hey, check out what the Wii can do".

And even though it seems as though most chips are ok after the update, this is why I haven't installed my Wiikey yet.

I'll definitely be waiting a little longer the next time an update is released to install it.

CodeXero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gee....remember the days when consoles never needed firmware updates? I miss those days......the games of those days too, for that matter.

well back in those days you didnt have online services either and all consoles did was play games. the good old times. now that consoles makers have tons of money they want to try to stop piracy and try to create fair online play thinking that modders and pirates are the source of all their problems.

while firmware is supposed to make improvements in the functionality, its also a hidden way to impede and stop users from online play from games they might have obtained illegally which im pretty sure nintendo is following what M$ is doing.

to your ? there is currently no way to downgrade your firmware until someone finds a way.

mcj

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was poking around the nintendo.com forums last night looking for info on this firmware update madness. Don't ever go there and mention Action Replay ... that's all I have to say.

Either the reply was "Awwww poor little cheater can't cheat anymore." Or it was "To bad hacker your fun is over"

All the fuss over backups, piracy, modchips aside, to disable the use of the Action Replay or any similar device is just absurd.

I don't recall Microsoft doing this for the Xbox action replay. And if anything I'd think they would be the first to do that.

Oh well, next time my Wii is glowing blue I'll just ignore it.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was poking around the nintendo.com forums last night looking for info on this firmware update madness. Don't ever go there and mention Action Replay ... that's all I have to say.

Either the reply was "Awwww poor little cheater can't cheat anymore." Or it was "To bad hacker your fun is over"

All the fuss over backups, piracy, modchips aside, to disable the use of the Action Replay or any similar device is just absurd.

I don't recall Microsoft doing this for the Xbox action replay. And if anything I'd think they would be the first to do that.

Oh well, next time my Wii is glowing blue I'll just ignore it.
They did not specifically attack action replay, they just don't allow discs to be booted anymore that aren't marked as being gamecube or wii.. nothing spectacular about that! They just have to make a new action replay disc with gamecube marks in the title or whatnot n voila

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey