Reserve a free upgrade to Windows 10

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by nxwing, Jun 1, 2015.

1. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Users right now can reserve a free upgrade to Windows 10. It doesn't matter if one is using Windows 7 or 8. Users should receive a pop-up that looks something like this:

[​IMG]
    Users can easily opt-out of the reservation but really, why whould you even do that?

Many peopla have confirmed to receive this pop-up and you should too if you run a copy of Windows (7/8) on your PC. Windows 10 is to be released on the end of the month of July this year.

:arrow: Source

LightyKD and Margen67 like this.
  2. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Interesting. How does the popup appears? Nothing happened on my pc yet.

3. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I have yet to get the pop up but according to some users, it just randomly appeared on their screen. I bet they have the option to automatically download and install updates.

4. VinsCool

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I am installing windows 7 updates right now. I will then reboot my laptop and see :P

nxwing likes this.
  5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    you can force the prompt following the instructions at the end of the article in the source.
    I just did and worked.

6. VinsCool

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I tried and that did not work :( I even found the executable in the system32 directory, but double clicking on it does nothing, just like it ignores my clicks :(
    My windows 7 is legit (not pirated) and that annoys me a bit... I want my free upgrade lol.

7. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    A cracked version of windows, perhaps?

But more importantly: because windows just works as is. Since vista (or further back: millenium), I don't go out and get the new windows on launch day anymore.

@VinsCool: the pop-up is located in C:\Windows\System32\GWX\GWX.exe (or whatever your windows-folder is). If it doesn't start manually, that's where to look. :-)

8. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    @VinsCool : legit Windows 7 x64 Home Premium here, reinstalled(not restored. and maintained the GPT partition scheme) after testing Windows 10 technical preview and a change from HDD to SSD.
    Went to task scheduler, ran the process and the prompt appeared.

9. VinsCool

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    That's exactly where I located the file :( It doesn't do anything.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Double clicking on the exe, or through the task manager dooes noting in my end :(

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    My only concern is that it will delete my entire HDD, can't I just tell it to install to my 2nd HDD and do a dual boot OS setup that way? (Windows 7 on one HDD, Windows 10 on another)?\

Edit: Also, the instructions here http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/m...ers-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/ say to go to "Expand Task Scheduler Library, then Microsoft, then Windows, and finally scroll down to expand Setup."
    However, there is no "Setup" in Task Scheduler.

These instructions are utter bullshit, I followed them and no such prompt was executed. There has to be a better way.

11. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    If there is no setup folder then you still don't have the relevant update installed.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I even did the whole process to my laptop through teamviewer. as a fact, my work pc that hasn't updated in months doesn't have it. same in a laptop with a fresh windows 7 x64 sp1 install I'm finishing preparing right now.

12. VinsCool

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    How about me? My task manager windows looks exactly the same, but does not execute the gwx thingy when I click "launch"

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Seriously? I thought I was on the most recent system update, but I guess I'm not. The only reason I turned off system updates is due to the rumors I've heard that Win 7 updates screw up some users' machines.

14. ChaosBoi

ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

Feb 19, 2007
    United States
    California
    I'm on Windows 8.1, and the prompt appeared as a Windows logo on my notification bar. Clicking on it brought up this window screen. Anyway, I'm pretty excited for Windows 10 to be honest. From what I've tried of the latest preview build, it already seems to be faster than Windows 8.1. It also works pretty well on older hardware as well.

On a side note: Windows 10 is still offered to pirated users. It just wouldn't be a free upgrade, of course. Considering Microsoft won't be making any revenue with this upgrade for a whole year unless the average person for some reason is still on Vista or older, I kind of don't understand why. I mean, I figured this would be a good move to finally make them decide to go legit since Microsoft will be making most of their profits from their services this time around.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Actually, Windows 10 is offered free to the pirated users. Only thing is that it's not genuine

16. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    That isn't technically free. It's like they're handing you the trial version, but they're going to limit you in some way and keep pestering you to buy a key.

17. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Maybe you are missing some updates needed. I have the needed update too but not the prerequisites but when I try to install the prerequisites manually and individually and they kept on saying they were not compatible.

EDIT: Try opening this file that I uploaded to Filetrip with administrative privileges. Wait for about 1 minute and then check if it has the word "success" near the bottom. If it just closes or ends up in an infinite loop, check if you have these updates:
    Code:
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1
    KB3035583
    KB2952664

If you don't install them.

Last edited by nxwing, Jun 3, 2015
    VinsCool likes this.
  18. VinsCool

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    It does nothing :( How can I know I have missing updates? Windows updates tells it is up to date :(

19. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Windows also told me that, but I actually have A LOT of missing updates. About 1 GB. Why won't you try checking out the MS support site. I tried there but it still didn't fix my problem.

20. VinsCool

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    How can I get the missing updates then? Windows 7 64bit sp1.