Hacking (Research) A NAND Backup/Restore tool to inject inside DSiWare/DS Wi-FI Connections app

Alex658

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
This thread's reason is for the following. I remember back when DSiWare downgrade was the "cheapest" method to hack your 11.0-11.2 3DS without a hardmod, for a while people were talking about the other uses of Dgtool (not quite sure if it was the same app that let you do the native_firm downgrade) like backup/restoring the NAND via arm9 dsiware.

Talking to @Crystal the Glaceon on another thread (http://gbatemp.net/threads/wtf-i-cant-redownload-fieldrunners-on-eur-3ds.460929) we were discussing about the other use(s) of a DSiWarehax or an injected DSiwarehax (be it sudokuhax v0 injection/DS profile Connection app) to restore the NAND in case anyone made a major (Gateway-ish) screw up that would end up removing their a9lh/cfw/hax due to missing FIRM 0/1 protections.

So I'd like to know if anyone here got that tool injected in their DS profile connection app, and if it's true that the app survives through official updates.

If that is the case it could be another way of reviving CFW besides a Hardmod... Since the NATIVE_FIRM downgrade will not work anymore, a stripped down app like Hourglass9 could be made only with the options to restore.
What do you guys think? I think it's at least worth asking if people got this installed and managed to keep it when they updated to 11.2-11.3.

Last edited by Alex658,
Reactions: nechigawara

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Just inject sudokuhax and have it boot fwtools. Thats all you have to do.

@metroid maniac made a little guide on this somewhere. (that was how I found out about this.)

Edit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/stuck-w...er-download-play-gateway.444674/#post-6737727

It's a special modification of fwTool from when DSiWare downgrading was originally implemented, and it's pretty hard to find.
You're probably better off getting dgTool for this purpose, it's easier to get your hands on and probably more stable.

Also that guide is rushed, it could do with some polishing and convenient warez links. It does however work fine, so if you wanna inject DSiWarehax for safety's sake then you can go ahead and do it.

Reactions: xtheman

Alex658

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It's a special modification of fwTool from when DSiWare downgrading was originally implemented, and it's pretty hard to find.
You're probably better off getting dgTool for this purpose, it's easier to get your hands on and probably more stable.

Also that guide is rushed, it could do with some polishing and convenient warez links. It does however work fine, so if you wanna inject DSiWarehax for safety's sake then you can go ahead and do it.

That's why i'm suggesting modifying dgtools to remove the native_firm plaintext attack downgrade.

But this still doesn't solve my question, can you inject sudokuhaxv0 on the DS wfc connection profile settings?

If the instructions get polished enough it may be doable to suggest plailect to include it in his guide. Just as an optional thought like the move-emunand part...

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
That's why i'm suggesting modifying dgtools to remove the native_firm plaintext attack downgrade.

But this still doesn't solve my question, can you inject sudokuhaxv0 on the DS wfc connection profile settings?

If the instructions get polished enough it may be doable to suggest plailect to include it in his guide. Just as an optional thought like the move-emunand part...

Yep, it's been possible since forever. @xtheman166 linked of my posts about the matter right there but it's been possible since the days well before menuhax and I only learned it from another old tutorial. Though that one is even more dated.

Alex658

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Yep, it's been possible since forever. @xtheman166 linked of my posts about the matter right there but it's been possible since the days well before menuhax and I only learned it from another old tutorial. Though that one is even more dated.

I suppose one could update the tutorials like you've previously said.

If i understand you correctly in order to make it more user friendly one would have to find a way to link to warez put sensitive links inside magnets like plailect guide does. Correct?

And this survives through official updates? Do you still have it installed?

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose one could update the tutorials like you've previously said.

If i understand you correctly in order to make it more user friendly one would have to find a way to link to warez put sensitive links inside magnets like plailect guide does. Correct?

And this survives through official updates? Do you still have it installed?

If you want to have a completely kosher guide, you can't link to sudoku or any of the other exploitable DSiWare games. That's piracy, no two ways about it.
I've never updated my console 100% legitimately (don't want to lose a9lh after alll) but it survives in general.

Alex658

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
If you want to have a completely kosher guide, you can't link to sudoku or any of the other exploitable DSiWare games. That's piracy, no two ways about it.
I've never updated my console 100% legitimately (don't want to lose a9lh after alll) but it survives in general.

When you say legitimately you mean through system settings i guess...

Yeah i know. What i've seen in the past is people using NUS or other server related stuff (if it's still on their servers, which i doubt) but i get your point. I'll see if i can give it a whirl and try it out. If it works might as well try to make a bit more detailed instruction set based from your other thread.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
When you say legitimately you mean through system settings i guess...

Yeah i know. What i've seen in the past is people using NUS or other server related stuff (if it's still on their servers, which i doubt) but i get your point. I'll see if i can give it a whirl and try it out. If it works might as well try to make a bit more detailed instruction set based from your other thread.

Oh I've updated through system settings plenty of times. I've just been running a FIRM-protecting CFW at the time. Shouldn't make a difference but it's worth pointing out.

Alex658

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Oh I've updated through system settings plenty of times. I've just been running a FIRM-protecting CFW at the time. Shouldn't make a difference but it's worth pointing out.

Yeah, that shouldn't make a difference at all but thanks for the heads up!
I don't think anyone without a hardmod would risk to get a vanilla console just to test it survives.

Last edited by Alex658,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night