[Request] Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Dai-Ichi-Kan Tatari

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Khrone, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Khrone
    OP

Newcomer Khrone Member

Italy
    I don't really know how it works in this forum.

Actually, as you can see, this is my first post, and I'm Italian too, so it's possible that my english would result to be quite bad. Forgive me for that.
    You can maybe think of me as a damn newbie who is come only for requesting the translation of a game but I don't really want to do that impression. If it is so, please ignore me.
    But, to be honest, this is the first time I've actually found a forum were translations are REALLY made. It's quite surprising.
    And, I don't want to simply "request" a translation, I just want to suggest a possible title of interest for a translation.

On the 26th of July the game mentioned in the title of this thread, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Dai-Ichi-Kan Tatari has been released in Japan. Actually I'm a big fan of this well known (maybe known as "When They Cry..." or "When Cicadas Cry") serie and I was really hoping in a translation, because it is sure that its rights will be NEVER purchased outside Japan (just as been for the PlayStation 2 game "Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Matsuri").

So, to cut it off, I'm simply asking if someone is planning to translate it in English.

Yes, in the end I'm just asking for a translation as every other newbie could do, but I hope that someone would show interest in this.
    Just to conclude, I'm asking for it because I don't know a damn of japanese, of hacking and other things, so I can't help anyone who is interested, I have just suggested a possible project but I can't help at all. See, I'm just as the other newbies after all.

2. ivanthegreat

Newcomer ivanthegreat Advanced Member

United States
    haha i doubt this will have any translation maybe a menu. first off its a novel 2nd it is
    heavy in kanji but it be cool to see it translated though

3. cereal_killerxx

Newcomer cereal_killerxx Member

United States
    If I knew how to hack or could translate japanese, I would in a heartbeat. Maybe we could find some people who would be interested in doing this if we asked on anime forums or something. Just a thought.

4. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Knowing how to hack or translate is not innate.
    you have to learn to do something.
    So I don't know why people always say "If I knew how to hack...."

5. BlueFlame90

Member BlueFlame90 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    i think what he trys to say is that a visual novel has way to much text.
    anyway it would be nice if there where a translation.

6. kryss

Member kryss GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I'd thought about this one before. From a translators point of view, it's a novel and weeks/months of work.
    And it's the first of 4 "games".

I wouldn't translate it because i abhor Higurashi in all forms.

7. HernanZh

Member HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Very true. I started with no knowledge when doing the Puyo Puyo translation, and it turned out fine. Depends on devotion too, something that some people at GBAtemp don't have or even understand >_>

8. cereal_killerxx

United States
    Well, if that's the case, then could you point me in the right direction like to tutorials or other valuable information about hacking roms?

9. HernanZh

Member HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Visit www.romhacking.net
    If you're a beginner, read these:
    http://www.romhacking.net/start/
    http://www.romhacking.net/faq/
    And a database of documents with a shitload of information: http://www.romhacking.net/docs/
    And there is a sticky topic by FAST6191 here.

10. cereal_killerxx

United States
    Thanks! So far, after reading through it, it doesn't seem to be as hard as I thought it was... although I can see it will definetely be time consuming. After alot more experimenting and reading tutorials, I'll decide whether or not I want to pick up this project.

11. cereal_killerxx

United States
    Well, I think I have a migraine from looking at hex code all day, but the more I look at it, the more I understand it. Also, I already made a table which is about halfway complete. It's looking more and more likely that (provided I find a translator) I will pick this project up! ...Although don't get your hopes up just yet. I still plan on waiting another week or two, to make sure I completely understand hex and tables, as well as make sure I have enough time to undertake this adventure.

12. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States

Not necessarily.

13. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    hint word: most

so the trans was your first hacking you've done???
    that's like... GREAT!

14. boojumz

Member boojumz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you probably don't need to make a table yourself. Chances are, it'll have a standard Shift-JIS table like most Japanese games. However, you may need to watch out because they may have the romanized font in 2 byte ASCII encodings which will be a pain to deal with (i've got the problem in the tales of the tempest translation project and i'm still trying to learn how to deal with it.)
    Anyway, google for the shift-jis.tbl or go to the tales of the tempest translation where valyr posted his hacking toolbox with everything in it. try that out. it'll save you the chore of entering every single kanji character.

15. cereal_killerxx

United States
    Well, it turns out that I just don't have the time to do this. Maybe someone in the future will decide to pick this up but I highly highly doubt it. Sorry [​IMG]

16. miinna

Newcomer miinna Member

Russia
    Someone make please the program allowing anyone to easily translate the dialogue in this game!
    I want to insert eng text into the game.

17. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    I wish this would have been translated but this will require a tremendous amount of time for the huge amount of text (just look and the Tales of projects which take a lot of time).

At least the PC game is officially translated.