[REQUEST] App to go over the 100% limit of sound

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Diego788, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Diego788
    OP

Diego788 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2014
    Chile
    Santiago, Chile
    Hi :0

I want to request an app to have over 100% of sound on my 3DS
    for example, in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse all the music is louder than the music in Rhythm Heaven Megamix, that's bad in some way....

hope that there's an app... at least someday

yuyuyup likes this.
  2. hsdubb19

hsdubb19 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    United States
    just use headphones.

it might damage the speakers if someone manages to increase the limit.

Bubsy Bobcat, Diego788 and VinLark like this.
  3. Diego788
    OP

Diego788 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2014
    Chile
    Santiago, Chile
    well... even with my headphones it doesn't sounds loud... but i want to increase the sound level to make Rhythm Heaven Megamix sounds louder... i tried this with RetroArch last year, in RetroArch you can increase the sound level...

yuyuyup likes this.
  4. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Actually the headphones are hardware limited with resistors. You can bridge the resistors to fix that. No solution for built-in speakers though.

Diego788 likes this.
  5. Diego788
    OP

Diego788 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2014
    Chile
    Santiago, Chile
    but... what about RetroArch?
    in the app you can increase the sound level and it sounds very loud..

6. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    What you're talking about is built into Retroarch. What you're asking for is a system wide modification to increase the default sound level. Huge difference.

Last edited by Memoir, Dec 5, 2016
    Minnow likes this.
  7. Diego788
    OP

Diego788 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2014
    Chile
    Santiago, Chile
    oh, i though that it can be modified...

last question, maybe is a no but.. we cannot even modify the sound level with luma? i mean, like the code.bin to modify outlines in Pokémon Sun & Moon.. idk, maybe that last is a no, what do you think?

8. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Definitely not outside the realm of possibility. You'd have to take that up Aurora, though. I can't say for certain.

Diego788 likes this.
  9. Diego788
    OP

Diego788 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2014
    Chile
    Santiago, Chile
    thanks for replying anyway, i'll continue searching (meh, i'll don't get any results anyway xd)

10. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I hope this gets figured out some day (but by then, 3DS roms will probably be entirely playable with emulators) I'm very grateful New 3DS has decent sound output at all; my original 3DS was unacceptably quiet (this happened for some people and not for others; some in-store demos had loud speakers for example)

11. andrexd

andrexd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Maybe it works with a plugin in ntr?

12. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    My mom was actually complaining she can't hear animal crossing very well when she plays it and I noticed her game is pretty low sound too, but the home menu is plenty loud. It's weird.

XxShalevElimelechxX likes this.
  13. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    It won't work either. Outlines are programatically defined, so it's easy to set the outline width to 0. The outline won't dissapear magically, you just stop seeing it anymore. But the sound tracks are pre-recorded, and the game doesn't have a mixer to generate software based gain. And if it had one, it would sound awfully bad and would reduce critically the battery life.

The 3ds is not a boomtastic box. Keep that in mind. There's some setups you can test with external amplifiers using the low impedance headphones output, but I don't know if that could resolve your issue.

14. nop90

nop90 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 11, 2014
    Italy
    Rome
    The volume on the 3ds with the internal speakers isn't very good. Porting games on the 3DS I often have to raise the default volume level from 128 (very common setting for SDL games) to 255 (max allowed value), and sometimes it's not enough to have the same result than other platform (like PSP).

For the specific request in the OP, it should be possible to make a plugin that intercept the system calls to the DSP and changes on the fly the volume level (e.g. doubling it and clipping the result to the max value that is 1.0 ).

But likely the commercial games sound volume is already at max level since you can adjust it with the external slider, so probably it's not woth the effort (but to experiment with plugins).

PS: I'm not experienced with plugins and i don't have time for projects like this, so please don't ask.

15. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    First off, wrong forum bro. This belongs in "homebrew development and emulators" . Secondly, it is possible, but not through an app as of yet, only if u feel like hardmodding. Don't worry tho, no attatchments nessisery, just shorting the sound resistor (yes, sound on the 3ds is artificially reduced)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If your feelin' lucky, here is a guide:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/hardwar...volume-of-your-3ds-some-models-so-far.400221/

Just note it won't affect the speakers, only the headphones

Last edited by Sketchy1, Dec 5, 2016
    Diego788 likes this.