[Request] A Wii U Game Downloader... on Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by ThatsMyFace, Aug 2, 2017.

?

Is there a need for this?

1. Yes, the current way is too complicated and needs to be straightened out.

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No, but I would prefer it.

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. No, it's practically useless due to the easy process we have currently.

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. ThatsMyFace
    OP

ThatsMyFace Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    United States
    I'm looking for a port of Wii U USB Helper / uTikDownloader / FunKiiU that runs natively on the Wii U to downloader game files from Nintendo's servers and maybe even install them afterwards. This would help eliminate quite a few steps from the game install process and would be very helpful for the few people that have lost access to an SD card reader since hacking their Wii U, and our now forced to copy things over FTP or similar situations.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: It doesn't have to be fancy either. It could just be a text application where you type, or put into a file, the title id and corresponding title key you want and it downloads it on launch.

Last edited by ThatsMyFace, Aug 2, 2017
    LucaDark likes this.

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Example: On an 8gb Wii u, you expect to be able to utilise the Wii u file system (through USB), to store and then install a game to USB?

Doubt this will ever be possible: without an SD as the intermediary (or FAT32/NTFS ported library).

Any system that's been hacked has to store back ups in a user readable format, and 99.9% of the time externally... not proprietary for the console at hand.

PS3 never did this, wii never did this, DS never did this.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: I think this reads wrong, the sense is if wii u USB encryption is broken then maybe you could use the external to store then install to another space....

Last edited by KiiWii, Aug 2, 2017
  3. ThatsMyFace
    OP

ThatsMyFace Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    United States
    I'm fine with using an SD as the intermediary if needed. It'd be nice to cut out the computer from the process; and later on we could improve it if there is a discovery about being able to use USB or system storage as an intermediary.

Last edited by ThatsMyFace, Aug 2, 2017
  4. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Apparently the wifi is so slow that it would take forever to download a game, which is why this hasn't been done.

DarthDub, KiiWii and dimmidice like this.
  5. ThatsMyFace
    OP

ThatsMyFace Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    United States
    I would love to have the option, but I guess that makes sense. Theoretically it would still download at the same speed as the eShop though.

Shadowfied likes this.
  6. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    And the eshop downloads hella slow doesn't it?

Edit: Oh it would be hella nice for DLC/Updates/Small games though.

Last edited by dimmidice, Aug 2, 2017
    PokeAcer likes this.
  7. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    I found the 3ds eshop faster than the Wii U one. Yeah

8. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    But it'd be nice to be able to use Download Manager on a Wii U like we can w/ freeShop on 3DS :P

9. Super1710

Super1710 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2016
    o3ds downloads slowly from WiFi as well, plus I think it would be nice to have the option, but what we have now is perfectly fine.

10. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Info is out there recently to boost the speed of downloads significantly , i would imagine that speeds could be fast enough with this info , just its not been implemented .

Essentially you can triple the socket options.

Last edited by pwsincd, Aug 2, 2017
  11. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Oh that's cool.

12. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Wi-fi in Wii U is trash.
    If you think you can speed it up, the max speed it can handle is probably 300kb-1.75mb/s if you're really lucky.

13. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    Wii U connection + 8-9 GB games + piracy stuff.... nah.

14. SANIC

SANIC GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Doesn't the Wii U USB Helper tool have the IOSU speed boost

15. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Can i get some more info about this please. Is this just for downloads or would it work for netflix too? I've been googling how to improve wii u's wifi speed/range for the last week or so because it's barely good enough for netflix in HD.

16. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    What kind of internet do you have to not get netflix in HD on a Wii U?
    Well i doubt something like that would ever happen at this point (mostly because not alot of people cared about the Wii U and the fact that everyone is circlejercking the Switch so hard that people are starting to hunt down Switch dumps even though there are pretty much useless for anything other than datamine) But if we ever see something like that surface i can see it working fine if you can somehow force the Wii U to download it's contents using it's own dowload manager and the Stand By mode so you just download your stuff overnight slow download speeds be damned. But the chances of something like that happens are super low, with the chances of working like i said is even lower.

17. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    365Kb/s to 4.9Mb/s with libcurl tweaks

hippy dave and Felek666 like this.
  18. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    The whole internet speed-up thing would only help homebrew - Nintendo products already have it, since it's listed in their documentation. That's also the reason it hasn't been added to apps yet - everyone's still mulling over whether they want to take the plunge of outright using the SDK.
    I'm personally fine with it - everyone already says we use it, we may as well actually do so and reap the benefits - though there's obvious concerns about legality and how much Nintendo cares about this sort of thing. Again, I can point to preexisting brews that used the SDK, though even I can't deny that the whole thing feels... eugh. It's one of the really tough ethical questions while doing stuff like this.

DarthDub and CreeperMario like this.
  19. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    its not a tweak you can perform , its code you need to write ...

VinLark likes this.
  20. september796

september796 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    In my case it's been fine. Even getting bigger games like tropical freeze doesn't take thaaat long, it's ok. Besides it doesn't feel slow as it downloads/installs in the background.

well 3ds games are quite smaller in size. they're like 600mb average┬┐? and wii u is like 4gb average