[Request] 3DS ¿Dropbox?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Carlos_DobleC, May 27, 2017.

1. Carlos_DobleC
    OP

Carlos_DobleC GBAtemp Regular

Sep 22, 2016
    I came to make a request for a homebrew that I find quite useful for the console, in case some developer was interested.

The idea would be a kind of own online server from which to upload small files from a 3DS and download them from another everything from the 2 consoles without requiring at any time from a computer.
    Something private to which only have access with a user and a password.

This idea has come to mind because I have 2 consoles in 2 different houses, and I would like to be able to share the saves from Pokémon Sun in that simple way (I extract the save, I upload it with my application and I download it from the other console ready to be injected ).

Would this be possible? If so, would any developer be interested?

Thanks for reading guys!

LucarioWolf likes this.
  2. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    This would be possible, but highly impracticable because the 3DS upload and download speeds is rubbish

LucarioWolf and scionae like this.
  3. Carlos_DobleC
    OP

Sep 22, 2016
    That's why I specified that it was for small files

LucarioWolf likes this.
  4. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    It would still be slow, the 3DS up speeds is probably around 100KB/s, and some game's save files can get big

LucarioWolf likes this.
  5. DinckelMan

DinckelMan Your Favorite Water Mage!

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    This is kind of pointless, to be honest. If your goal is to get remote file transfer, then just use FTPD

Dionicio3 likes this.
  6. mqk9999

mqk9999 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    United States
    No. Just use FTP.

7. Carlos_DobleC
    OP

Sep 22, 2016
    FTP does not serve my purpose that was the transfer of small files between 2 consoles connected to 2 different wifi networks

8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    If they aren't system files and or games installed on the system, then just use a computer. The DL/UL speed of the 3DS is just completely awful and you will be waiting an extremely long time to do anything with them.
    You really aren't giving us many details, so I really don't know what you are trying to transfer between systems. But I do know that a computer would be a better method for non-system specific files.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 28, 2017
  9. Carlos_DobleC
    OP

Sep 22, 2016

10. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    3ds speed is more than 100kb. when downloading via freeshop or fbi, I am normally getting around 500kb/s

11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Either I missed that or my browser borked. Moving on though. (Seriously I read the OP and did not see that bit. I do apologize, sometimes I miss details.)
    My suggestion still stands to just use a computer for this kind of file copying or using the FTP process. Although I am not opposed to a dropbox app for the 3DS, there are still faster methods to accomplishing the same results.
    Either way, that's my suggestion. Anyone actually willing to make a dropbox app has my support because the 3DS can always go for some more homebrew.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 28, 2017