Homebrew [REQ] parental control

elim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,

I am searching a tool to look the wii, maybe with a parental control/user management:

- password protection
- accounts with different rights
- games/wiiware/channel only playable when account has the right
- nice GUI (child friendly)
- information which accout play which game: when, how long...
- time management: every account can use the wii only for...

When nobody can help me, I have to begin my first homebrew project for the wii ;-)

thx

PS. The system parental control of the wii self, is a beginning...

elim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
PPS. I think a little bit about it and what is possible:

1. Login
A channel which is started instead of the system menu (like it is possible with homebrew channel or others)
The channel manage the login with data from SD card and write a log file to the SD card. Therefore it is always possible to change the accounts without access to the wii.

2. Info system
A tool which show the log file in connection with other logs on the wii. So the admin (or others) can see, whith which account (theyself) was done what and how long.

Open (Until now I have no idea how to manage it):
3. Account rights
An account can only start channels where he has access to (info from the SD card). This has to be a complete replacement of the internal parental control, which seems not to be possible :-(

4. Time management
After a definded time (from SD card) the accout is logged for this day and/or a message pops up.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Hey, those are some good ideas elim
smile.gif
But if you think about it, you don't have to rewrite the whole parental control thing!

Here's my idea: when a user with low privileges logs in, the app would automatically change the official parental controls to match those privileges, like for example don't play games with a Teen or higher rating (and possibly make a random password and secret word each time so that they cant find them easily) and when an admin logs in the parental controls would be turned off.

I think that Waninkoko made a program that lets you modify the system configuration, its called WiiConfig I think, you could make something similar to modify the parental controls everytime a different user logs in.

BTW, I'm just giving an idea, my coding skills match those of a beetle so I can't really help with that XD

elim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
wii_128 said:
Here's my idea: when a user with low privileges logs in, the app would automatically change the official parental controls to match those privileges, like for example don't play games with a Teen or higher rating (and possibly make a random password and secret word each time so that they cant find them easily) and when an admin logs in the parental controls would be turned off.That's better then nothing but my problem is also that many channels, most wiiware and games are not blocked.

QUOTE(wii_128 @ Jun 18 2009, 04:37 PM) BTW, I'm just giving an idea, my coding skills match those of a beetle so I can't really help with that XD
Oh, I have also no expierence with the wii. Hopefully I found a good documentation and help from other wii cracks.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
beegee7730 said:
Doesnt the wii already have parental controls?

Yeah, but he wants to create a homebrew that will create different user accounts and have a different parental control for each (like on his smaller brother's account you parental controls would block anything rated M or higher, while on his own account he would have free access to all games)

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
you can use wiimu as a base, because it can already launch channels, or you can use preloader to open a login, that you can based on configuration editor (if waninkoko has open-sourched it, i dont know)

Rebound

Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose you can make a program that you install to autoboot with Preloader that has two options, both which need passwords, one goes to System Menu and the other just goes straight to the Disc Channel?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple