Report: Nintendo will be allowing free Joy-Con repairs, will refund those who paid a fee previously

nZ9klfK.png

The Switch Joy-Con drift drama saga continues. Nintendo's official statement earlier today wasn't the only new update to the situation, as a report from Vice has revealed that an internal memo within Nintendo is calling for all customer support agents to allow for Joy-Cons to be sent in for repair, free of charge. Not only that, but should you need to send in your controller for repair, representatives will no longer require a proof of purchase, nor will they still have to be under warranty. Previously, owners were required to show proof that they purchased the Joy-Cons new, and once they got past the general troubleshooting with a support agent, they were then allowed to send their non-functioning Joy-Cons to Nintendo, along with $40, in order to be repaired. Additionally, if you did happen to already send your Joy-Cons in and paid the $40 requirement, you can request a refund so long as you can prove that you had them repaired in the past. Though Nintendo seems reluctant to actually admit anything on the matter, it does appear that they're taking steps internally, to assist customers that have been affected by Joy-Con drift.

:arrow: Source

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, then what's this about, "Each Joy-Con will be evaluated by our technicians for warranty coverage."
Well for instance if you dropped your joycon in water, it's your own fault etc

They have to do some due diligence to make sure you aren't just taking advantage of them

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, makes sense. I've submitted my ticket for 5 Joy-Cons, hopefully they will honor and fix the drifting issue.
That being said, when I was 12 I sent my DSi into nintendo with water damage saying "it won't turn on" and they sent me back a letter saying it was my fault the system didn't work, but they felt bad and sent me a new one anyway.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Why isn't this frontpaged? I missed the news
Trade secret, but sometimes when I write multiple threads at once, I set a timer with like an hour between each post, so they’ll all have a bit of time on the top spot of the front page and so that it doesn’t seem overwhelming seeing 5 news posts all suddenly pop up.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's funny how much a lawsuit can change a company their stance. Instead of thanking Nintendo we should be thanking that law firm since Nintendo refused to acknowledge what their customers had to say for years but now only did because of the law firm so thank the law firm instead

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's funny how much a lawsuit can change a company their stance. Instead of thanking Nintendo we should be thanking that law firm since Nintendo refused to acknowledge what their customers had to say for years but now only did because of the law firm so thank the law firm instead
Couldn't agree more with you, it's a shame that cases like this (I still remember the red ring of death with the 360) have to go this far so companies actually do something to compensate their consumers accordingly.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does this really fix the underlying issue, though? If there's something defective in the way the joysticks are made, won't it be necessary to send them right back in again sooner or later? Or do the latest joysticks just not have the problem anymore?

SlasherGamer21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Wow, rip that class action lawsuit and the poor junior associates that firm had working day and night looking through case law

At least they are salaried

It was never going to hold up in court. I already saw it a mile away. Its the dumbest thing to sue over and no judge would ever go through with it.

Reactions: x65943

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Dont you still have to pay to ship them?

As for that, the source article says the following:

Vice said:
"On the second call, the representative gave no pushback, and immediately offered a pre-paid shipping label, meaning the cost of shipping and repairing would be taken care of by Nintendo."

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's nice seeing how a little outcry can be beneficial to everyone... Meanwhile, there was some people who claimed that drift occurrences were far and few. Far and few my ass!
Compared to the roughly 50 million joycons out there in consumer hands, they were.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [He will] only make $1.5 million per night after taxes. Poor guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My stupid computer chair keeps slowly going down, but I don't notice it goes down, until I'm like reaching up to my desk. I just bought this f er last year.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Does Bruno Mars is gay?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    K3nv2 would know...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only for Bakers
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard he has a Wario fetish, but only if no Wizards are around.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    jk with you Bakerman, much love. fist bump.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He really knows how to kneed the dough
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Man. I can't wait til CTGP 8 comes out on Switch, been waiting forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Boners Makes me wanna play Duck Hunt NES
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pooping nice
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is a "Poop de Boop"? I've heard it mentioned several times now but have no idea and can't find anything online bout it. Is it a British term for restroom/bathroom or something?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It is a perfume
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do we have virgin islands if it's populated
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They should change the name to K3Nv2's Mom islands. (Or before he responds, My Wifeys Islands)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah me saying that's more predictable than you talking about my mom
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hence urewifes so predictable she'd buy every man on the virgin islands
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or they buy her
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    true dat, on that note I'ma try go get some myself, peace!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess she doesn't need to be bought she has your money
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/-GDjDECLDG0?si=MNEjk8rkmioj1xE2