Report: Nintendo will be allowing free Joy-Con repairs, will refund those who paid a fee previously

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 24, 2019.

Front-page
    nZ9klfK.

The Switch Joy-Con drift drama saga continues. Nintendo's official statement earlier today wasn't the only new update to the situation, as a report from Vice has revealed that an internal memo within Nintendo is calling for all customer support agents to allow for Joy-Cons to be sent in for repair, free of charge. Not only that, but should you need to send in your controller for repair, representatives will no longer require a proof of purchase, nor will they still have to be under warranty. Previously, owners were required to show proof that they purchased the Joy-Cons new, and once they got past the general troubleshooting with a support agent, they were then allowed to send their non-functioning Joy-Cons to Nintendo, along with $40, in order to be repaired. Additionally, if you did happen to already send your Joy-Cons in and paid the $40 requirement, you can request a refund so long as you can prove that you had them repaired in the past. Though Nintendo seems reluctant to actually admit anything on the matter, it does appear that they're taking steps internally, to assist customers that have been affected by Joy-Con drift.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (101 replies)
  1. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Wow, rip that class action lawsuit and the poor junior associates that firm had working day and night looking through case law

At least they are salaried

2. Xizix

Xizix Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    Thank you. This is great news.

HinaNaru Cutie likes this.
  3. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    It's nice seeing how a little outcry can be beneficial to everyone... Meanwhile, there was some people who claimed that drift occurrences were far and few. Far and few my ass!

Red771, Pluupy, SpiffyJUNIOR and 14 others like this.
  4. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Okay, that's much better. I hope they expand this to world wide. Nintendo should have said this earlier, instead of their vague statement, lol.

5. Xizix

Xizix Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    Wait, then what's this about, "Each Joy-Con will be evaluated by our technicians for warranty coverage."

Megadriver94 and HinaNaru Cutie like this.
  6. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Well for instance if you dropped your joycon in water, it's your own fault etc

They have to do some due diligence to make sure you aren't just taking advantage of them

7. Xizix

Xizix Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    Ok, makes sense. I've submitted my ticket for 5 Joy-Cons, hopefully they will honor and fix the drifting issue.

8. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    That being said, when I was 12 I sent my DSi into nintendo with water damage saying "it won't turn on" and they sent me back a letter saying it was my fault the system didn't work, but they felt bad and sent me a new one anyway.

Red771, andeers, Henx and 17 others like this.
  9. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Dont you still have to pay to ship them?

jeffyTheHomebrewer likes this.
  10. MiguelinCrafter

MiguelinCrafter Halt!

Jan 8, 2015
    United States
    Ready? GO!
    5? holy shit dude

11. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    @Chary Why isn't this frontpaged? I missed the news :P

As I said in a dupe post:

Hopefully a hardware revision comes along with this :D, so happy for ALL of those who will get their joycons repaired! And now I feel better about mine in case they start to drift again.

MarKSlasH and HinaNaru Cutie like this.
  12. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Trade secret, but sometimes when I write multiple threads at once, I set a timer with like an hour between each post, so they’ll all have a bit of time on the top spot of the front page and so that it doesn’t seem overwhelming seeing 5 news posts all suddenly pop up.

MicmasH_Wii, Henx, DarthDub and 13 others like this.
  13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    It's funny how much a lawsuit can change a company their stance. Instead of thanking Nintendo we should be thanking that law firm since Nintendo refused to acknowledge what their customers had to say for years but now only did because of the law firm so thank the law firm instead

14. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Couldn't agree more with you, it's a shame that cases like this (I still remember the red ring of death with the 360) have to go this far so companies actually do something to compensate their consumers accordingly.

Xabring and PokeNas like this.
  15. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    Does this really fix the underlying issue, though? If there's something defective in the way the joysticks are made, won't it be necessary to send them right back in again sooner or later? Or do the latest joysticks just not have the problem anymore?

Captain_Smek and cearp like this.
  16. SlasherGamer21

SlasherGamer21 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    Hell
    It was never going to hold up in court. I already saw it a mile away. Its the dumbest thing to sue over and no judge would ever go through with it.

x65943 likes this.
  17. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    As for that, the source article says the following:

18. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    maybe some lemon law thing? ha

19. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Compared to the roughly 50 million joycons out there in consumer hands, they were.