Report bad ads here (popups, videos, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
hello,

We have recently switched ad platforms (we're with Freestar now). Thanks to ads we can pay for server bills, we can afford nice prizes for competitions, we can reward our staff, and more.

While the new platform is great for us financially, it comes with some caveats. Their filtering system isn't perfect and sometimes some bad ads slip past their filters.

If you get an ad such as:
- popups (a popup ad is an actual new page opening up in your browser, not a full-screen ad overlay: those are supposed to show up on mobile once per session, and they have a "close" button)
- browser hijacks: you were visiting gbatemp and were suddenly redirected to another site
- ads with audio
- ads with videos that have audio, or without audio but that make your browser scroll up or down

Please report these bad ads here: click here to access the bad ad submission form (alt URL: here https://gbatemp.net/reportbadads.html ) You need to access this from the same browser that received the bad ad, because the form will automatically identify the last ads that you have been getting. Every report will be useful and will help not only on GBAtemp but all other sites on the same network.

Thanks for your contributions!

Last edited by Costello,

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the transparency on an issue that many other sites ignore addressing. I recently contacted an unrelated site when similar ads came up. I was let down when they informed me they were aware of a problem and were working with their ad platform to resolve it. It's good to take an ad platform to task on issues but it is not enough by itself. A site's user base needs to be just as informed when problems like this are known since it is ultimately their experience and security that is impacted.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, just when I wanted to report something there's been a thread made for that. Impressive work and nice to see this.

The issue of popup ads on mobile has been brought up a few weeks ago iirc. I hope you can get rid of them somehow.

Reactions: Deleted User

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot_2017-12-25-00-37-12.png
Screenshot_2017-12-25-00-38-49.png
Screenshot_2017-12-25-00-39-02.png

I closed the tab

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I've been getting that one too. (Didn't notice this thread before)

damn thats too bad. have you guys used the report form linked in the first thread ?
remember you have to use it from the same browser/device that got the ad, so that the culprit can be identified.
if anyone else gets these, please post here and/or use the report form.
the more reports, the more chance we'll have to identify the bad source and get rid of it permanently.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn thats too bad. have you guys used the report form linked in the first thread ?
remember you have to use it from the same browser/device that got the ad, so that the culprit can be identified.
if anyone else gets these, please post here and/or use the report form.
the more reports, the more chance we'll have to identify the bad source and get rid of it permanently.
While I am no longer getting that ad here, I just got it on xda-developers and reported it on freestar. Ignore the PM I sent you.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
thanks for the reports guys, have you made sure to use the report form ?
without it, we can't eliminate the bad ads. Unfortunately a screenshot isnt enough :)

Reactions: Dionicio3

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Not worth it, hardly anyone ever encounters them and only reason you'd encounter "bad ads" would be because of your browsing history (or more like saved cookies/trackers). Having pointless links crowd the page wouldn't help anyone, if you want quick access to that thread simply bookmark it, simple:P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1