Confirmed Report bad ads here (popups, videos, etc.)

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Costello, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    hello,

We have recently switched ad platforms (we're with Freestar now). Thanks to ads we can pay for server bills, we can afford nice prizes for competitions, we can reward our staff, and more.

While the new platform is great for us financially, it comes with some caveats. Their filtering system isn't perfect and sometimes some bad ads slip past their filters.

If you get an ad such as:
    - popups (a popup ad is an actual new page opening up in your browser, not a full-screen ad overlay: those are supposed to show up on mobile once per session, and they have a "close" button)
    - browser hijacks: you were visiting gbatemp and were suddenly redirected to another site
    - ads with audio
    - ads with videos that have audio, or without audio but that make your browser scroll up or down

Please report these bad ads here: click here to access the bad ad submission form (alt URL: here https://gbatemp.net/reportbadads.html ) You need to access this from the same browser that received the bad ad, because the form will automatically identify the last ads that you have been getting. Every report will be useful and will help not only on GBAtemp but all other sites on the same network.

Thanks for your contributions!

Last edited by Costello, May 24, 2018
  2. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Feb 21, 2004
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Thank you for the transparency on an issue that many other sites ignore addressing. I recently contacted an unrelated site when similar ads came up. I was let down when they informed me they were aware of a problem and were working with their ad platform to resolve it. It's good to take an ad platform to task on issues but it is not enough by itself. A site's user base needs to be just as informed when problems like this are known since it is ultimately their experience and security that is impacted.

3. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Wow, just when I wanted to report something there's been a thread made for that. Impressive work and nice to see this.

The issue of popup ads on mobile has been brought up a few weeks ago iirc. I hope you can get rid of them somehow.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  4. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE Black Tempters Unite!

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    Screenshot_2017-12-25-00-37-12.png Screenshot_2017-12-25-00-38-49.png Screenshot_2017-12-25-00-39-02.png

I closed the tab

5. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    I've been getting that one too. (Didn't notice this thread before)

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE likes this.
  6. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    damn thats too bad. have you guys used the report form linked in the first thread ?
    remember you have to use it from the same browser/device that got the ad, so that the culprit can be identified.
    if anyone else gets these, please post here and/or use the report form.
    the more reports, the more chance we'll have to identify the bad source and get rid of it permanently.

7. Patxinco

Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

Apr 18, 2011
    Bookmarking this thread, Costello, thanks!!!

8. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    While I am no longer getting that ad here, I just got it on xda-developers and reported it on freestar. Ignore the PM I sent you.

9. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Why'd you forget boot.dat?...

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Screenshot_20171226-110855.png
    With Chrome on Android

Last edited by Blue_Mew, Dec 26, 2017
  10. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    It flashed then closed the link and I turn my head in in the play store with FLV player up

11. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
  12. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    thanks for the reports guys, have you made sure to use the report form ?
    without it, we can't eliminate the bad ads. Unfortunately a screenshot isnt enough :)

Dionicio3 likes this.
  13. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
  14. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Dionicio3 and VinsCool like this.
  15. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    There Back....

Screenshot_20180316-163608.png Screenshot_20180316-163604.png

16. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    They’re*

Also I think we’re still supposed to use the link to report

17. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    hey there,
    sorry about that... it is very important that you report this using the link given in the first post.
    please do it using the same browser where you got the ad in the first place, so that they can trace back exactly what happen and banish the bad ad source.
    thanks

18. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    I have to click on the report bad ads here thread all the time its annoying! Having it linked on the bottom would make it 100% better Thanks

19. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Not worth it, hardly anyone ever encounters them and only reason you'd encounter "bad ads" would be because of your browsing history (or more like saved cookies/trackers). Having pointless links crowd the page wouldn't help anyone, if you want quick access to that thread simply bookmark it, simple:P

20. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.