Hacking Replicatable Crash in FW 7.1.0 - 14J

BORODA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think this has any actual use. It probably crashes usermode which, still, requires a system exploit to be found to be able to successfully boot any code. If that was available, systems prior to 7.0 would also be vulnerable as the entry point in the DS profile still exist in 5.x and 6.x versions.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, still looks like a "eh, prob. not but maybe?". I'll bump the thread up just in case somebody who really has a lot of experience with this knows for sure if it can be used for a possible exploit.

D

Deleted User

This is just a userland exploit. Not really helpful as kernel exploits are the most juicy

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
yup, you need 1 then the other, and afaik unreleased usermode savegame exploits that have worked since 4.x still work fine, so devs have always had the usermode, just nothing kernelmode above 4.5

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realized something similar to twilight hack could probably be done here.
Savegame names are in the 0.sav sub-save.

If you could corrupt the name in that, then you could probably pull a twilight hack (if nintendo hasn't wised up) and get a different exploit.

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
I realized something similar to twilight hack could probably be done here.
Savegame names are in the 0.sav sub-save.

If you could corrupt the name in that, then you could probably pull a twilight hack (if nintendo hasn't wised up) and get a different exploit.

problem is, u would need a Japanese Kid icarus cart wouldnt you? 3DS is region-locked. If something comes out of this, i guess only us 4.5 users could benefit from it (and JPN consoles). unless You've tried it on Eur/USA versions?

daxzc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if this is worthless right now, it COULD give us an insight on what to do in the future to hack the console.

N3XU5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What people are looking for are crashes that freeze the 3ds, without the "An error has occurred, please turn 3ds off" message.

Well my 3ds freezes on youtube app, when watching pewdiepie, i hate waiting so i press the back button multiple times (L).
forward multiple times(R), try touching another vid multiple times and than its freezes completely, very annoying -.-

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just a crash doesn't mean anything. And it is ofcourse useless. It's JAP only. We have not looked into this, but you already made a big mistake to post that shit. *If* it is useful it will be fixed soon.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone better work on a save decrypter tool for 2.1.0+ US/EU games then.
I personally believe this is a great find you have here. I would show this to smea or the gateway team maybe or anyone who is really good with code rather than just listening to people's "this doesnt help at all" comments. Great find!

Reactions: juins

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Do what you want, but you already burned a possible vuln, before it get's useful in any way.

I have to agree, for future's safe if anyone finds a similar crash, don't lose hope like our misguided friends here in `Temp, go straight to Efnet IRC on channel #3dsdev, find either neimod, profi200, normmatt, ichfly or any other very known\trusted 3DS hacker you may know and query it directly to him, I can promise you that they are in closed group (yes even on GBAtemp IRC) and that they will share that exploit if some fruits will hang from it

Reactions: juins and profi200

Tybus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe it could lead into something... idk... i have heard about yellow8 and neimoid discovering vulns by a savegame exploit... Could be worthless, or could be good...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: