Hacking Replacing tri-wings screw with Philips' heads

testicule

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I still don't have my tri-wing screwdriver, but once I have it I would like to unscrew my WII and replace all the screws by Philips' heads.
Do you know the exact number and sizes of the screws so I can buy some?

Thanks

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have to ask, why would you replace them with phillips screws after you get your tri-wing.. what benefit will that give you lol

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have to ask, why would you replace them with phillips screws after you get your tri-wing.. what benefit will that give you lol
People did that all the time with the gamebit screws in the gamecube.

The reason being(especially with the tri-wing screws) is that even with tri-wing screwdriver, then can be very hard to remove. Replacing them with philips screws fixes that.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
i too am interested in it... i imagine the screws would be very small and easily available, but i'm still waiting on my screwdriver, so i can take them to lowes and find what size i need... my reason for doing this would be, i lose tools pretty easily, screwdrivers, pliers, ect... but i can always find a philips....

plus i could ebay my triwing and recoup 1/3 to 1/2 the orig. cost.

D

Deleted User

Hmm ... I also see no reason in doing that. How often are you going to open up your wii?? I see myself opening it up once. Maximum twice.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
still... even with different sizes, as long as you keep good records, and bring one of each to the hardware store, it shouldnt be more than a couple bucks...

FuManChuu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are making a catalog when we do our installs on tuesday and are going to try and do the switcheroo, ill let you guys know how it turns out

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are making a catalog when we do our installs on tuesday and are going to try and do the switcheroo, ill let you guys know how it turns out
Whatever happened to this? I still think this would be a great idea. If anyone's come up with some sizes, should let em be known. I'm not going to be opening mine for another week, so if nothing by then, I'll definitely check this out for myself.

cheapmod

Trophies
XP
Country
Its not just the size of the screws, its the pitch of the threads on the screws. I would think it would be very difficult to walk into a hardware store and get perfect matches on the three types of triwing screw used.

If the pitch is slightly out, you'll end up cutting a new thread into the plastic and greatly weakening the screws holding power.

Hardly seems worth it to me. Just add a decent triwing to your toolbox
smile.gif

Glen.

FuManChuu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A follow up after my install... not happening. We can't find any place local that sells screws anywhere near that size D;... Wrong wire, wrong solder, wrong screws... we had a hell of a job... but dammit my Wiikey is IN.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: