Hacking Replacing the case on my DS Lite

DJ Hobo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I have a white DS Lite at the moment, which I bought about 18 months ago. Recently, I've noticed various cracks on the case of the DS Lite, so I'm looking to buy a replacement on Dealextreme or Ebay. However, I've looked at some step-by-step guides, and the process of replacing the shell looks quite difficult.

So, this is what I'm wondering... Is it as hard as it looks? Would a first-timer like me be able to do it? I'm a pretty fast learner, and I'm not exactly stupid.. But from the pics and instructions I've seen, it seems like very hard work, and could potentially kill the DS if stuffed up.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
DJ Hobo said:
Ok, so I have a white DS Lite at the moment, which I bought about 18 months ago. Recently, I've noticed various cracks on the case of the DS Lite, so I'm looking to buy a replacement on Dealextreme or Ebay. However, I've looked at some step-by-step guides, and the process of replacing the shell looks quite difficult.

So, this is what I'm wondering... Is it as hard as it looks? Would a first-timer like me be able to do it? I'm a pretty fast learner, and I'm not exactly stupid.. But from the pics and instructions I've seen, it seems like very hard work, and could potentially kill the DS if stuffed up.

as long as you do everything slowly and carefully you should be fine.

some things to remember are:
never strip the screw
always make sure the volume dial and off/on switch are in the right position before putting the case back on (or else you won't be able to turn on your ds
frown.gif
)
and always treat it as if it was a small child (too rough and you might brake one of the ribbon cables)

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
DJ Hobo said:

This is true, yeah, it's hard, and yeah it could kill your DS if you're not careful enough..

However, I never did case modding before (but I do have some experience with taking stuff apart), and I did fine..
This is how I actually did it..

I took time to research, I collected all the videos and guides I could find, and that took me a day..
Next day, I read everything,a and watch all of it, I took one whole day for preparations, and learning which are the critical parts, and where do I have to be really extremely careful! Also, I made preparations on the desk where I was about to change cases..
At this point I had it all in my head, and I knew every step by heart, but just to be sure, I have opened one guide, to have something to look at if I'll find myself confused during the procedure..
Next day, I took a lots of free time, I made sure that no one will bother me for several hours, also, my desk was well lit, and everything I needed was on it..

Only part that gave me trouble were shoulder buttons, and that's not because of the springs, but because my replacement case had some error, and they didn't fit well, other then that, it went really good..
You just have to be extra careful with ribbon cable, and shoulder buttons......Also, while removing cables and stuff, be sure to memorize the position of the cables, everything needs to be placed back in the exact same position, or you might have trouble closing the case!

DJ Hobo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mercluke said:
never strip the screw
What's that mean?

Toni Plutonij said:
I took time to research, I collected all the videos and guides I could find, and that took me a day..
Next day, I read everything,a and watch all of it, I took one whole day for preparations, and learning which are the critical parts, and where do I have to be really extremely careful! Also, I made preparations on the desk where I was about to change cases..
At this point I had it all in my head, and I knew every step by heart, but just to be sure, I have opened one guide, to have something to look at if I'll find myself confused during the procedure..
Next day, I took a lots of free time, I made sure that no one will bother me for several hours, also, my desk was well lit, and everything I needed was on it..
This is exactly what I plan on doing, so long as I don't chicken out.

QUOTE(Toni Plutonij @ Feb 20 2009, 08:41 PM)
Also, while removing cables and stuff, be sure to memorize the position of the cables, everything needs to be placed back in the exact same position, or you might have trouble closing the case!
This is what I'm worried about... Accidentally moving the cables around, or even breaking the cables. I don't actually have any experience with taking stuff apart, but I like learning and as I said before, I'm a fast learner. So hopefully, I'll be able to do enough research to ensure that I actually don't screw anything up

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most is easy - careful handling of the top screen ribbon, don't bend it too hard. Touch screen connector, make sure you know how to open it and do it carefully. Replace the touch screen at the same time as it is almost impossible to remove the coloured surround from the old touch screen without damaging it (if you are having a different coloured case).

It is hard to completely stuff the DS (unless you break the touch screen connector), if it does not turn on after you have changed the case then usually the green light will come on, one screen will flash and the unit turns off. Check the connections on the screen that DOESN'T flash.

And snapping off the power switch - so easy, I usually tape the plastic sliders in the right place before putting the case together - and test how they slide, these are the bits (with their holes) that need scraping to make them move smoothly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)