Hacking Replacing specific files in a Wii ISO

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I know there are similar thread to this, but this is kind of a weird situation. So right now I'm using BrawlBox and Dolphin for SSBB (I'm learning how to hack the bones on the vertices themselves), and replacing certain files, since figuring out exactly how certain bones are actually affected in-game is a very tedious process. What makes the whole process even more tedious is the fact that every time I want to to see the results, I need to take the file I altered, put it in the RSBE01 folder that was extracted from the ISO, then recompile the folder into an ISO image; for that, I use a program called WiiBaFu since QTWitGUI/Wit give me a hard time. Now, the number of files I replace each time is negligible (maybe four of five files) that are in constant need of testing each time I alter them, and having to recompile the ISO image is very, very tedious as I pointed out earlier. What I want to know is, are there programs that I can that allow me to replace files in the ISO image on-the-fly, without having to make a new ISO image?

To sum up:

- I use both Dolphin and BrawlBox to alter the FitMotionPac, etc files
- The files I change are in constant need of adjusting (especially when I try to figure out X, Y and Z axis)
- I need to find a way to replace files on-the-fly in the ISO without having to recompile when I only change a few files and not all of them

Is this remotely possible to do?

I know that Brawl related hacking would belong on the Brawl Vault/Kitty Corp forums, but since my request is about the ISO itself and how to replace the files in the RSBE01 folders, I'm asking the question here at GBATemp. Any suggestions on how to get this done?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
several possibilities:

1) afaik riivolution can get its changes via network

2) sneek uses extracted files

3) write a short script that compiles the iso and does whatever else needs doing in one command

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did mention that I was using Dolphin for testing these files out, right? I'm forced to compile a new ISO imag even if I replace one or two files that I need to test, not to mention I don't know jack squat about writing a script to do such a thing on the fly. Aren't there any programs that I can use for ISO file injection, so I don't have to recompile every time?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
damn - missed the dolphin part

this wiibafu does not look very scriptable
what is the problem with wit?

I would simply use "wit cp --fst orginal.iso somefolder" to extract and "wit cp somefolder test.iso" to generate the iso
write the second one in a file called e.g. makeiso.bat for an easy way to run it

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wit/QTWitGUI freaks out every time I use it, telling me the ISO image is corrupted; I use WiiBaFu because it's very simple to extract and recompile an ISO image, not to mention the ability to convert WBFS to ISO and back to WBFS. I'm not completely comfortable with commands in DOS-based programs, but I digress. Aside from knowing some very basic navigation, command-based programs intimidate me. Do I absolutely need to use the program, or am I essentially SOL without it? This still doesn't answer my question, is there any way to inject/insert a file/files (like maybe ten or so) into an ISO, is there a command for that? Or will I have to recompile each time I replace a file?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think I replaced a file inside a iso with some tool some time ago. wiiscrubber iirc?
Unfortunatly (imho) it was a graphical tool, which are hard to script.
That means you have to click through several menus each time instead of running some bat file.
To bad wit doesn't work for you.

Btw DOS has nothing to do with it.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I said DOS, I was referring to it and other programs that used commands like DOS, meaning I'm not a big fan of command-based programs as I like GUIs a lot better, but I digress. Am I SOL?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
if you prefer it that way do as I said and check wiiscrubber

Wii scrubber can only extract whats on the disc. You then need additional tools to uncompress the files, replace whatever file inside that file you want, and recompress the files. Then finally re-add the modified, recompressed, file in Wii scrubber.

When I was playing around with SS I used 4 or 5 different tools just to replace simple textures lol.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess I'm stuck with WiiBaFu then, it's kinda annoying to do it every time, but now if there was only some way to test the files out (the FitMotion files) and see if they work properly BEFORE I recompile the ISO....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs