Replacing GBA SP shell, question

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Deaddy, Sep 21, 2012.

Sep 21, 2012
  1. Deaddy
    OP

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Hoping someone here has done this, there was no GBA forum. I have dismantled the old GBA SP but the plastic volume switch is not coming off its slider on the motherboard, I was wondering if this is removable or if anyone has tips on how to get it off, I don't want to force it and break something. Thanks. And sorry for not being on the subject of DS.

2. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    The switch should come off with ease. Try making sure the switch is in the off position before attempting to remove.

3. Deaddy
    OP

Canada
    It refuses to budge, seems as if it's glued on. Maybe when I receive my shell I can get a look at how that switch attaches and it'll give me an idea what direction to push this thing to get it off.

4. pyromaniac123

United Kingdom
    That is strange. It should just come off.

5. Deaddy
    OP

Canada
    Could you let me know what direction it comes off in? The power button was just loose in there, it fell out when I opened the old shell. I think it was just held in place by the two halves of the shell. Volume switch is really attached to the little slider, I tried pushing it in all directions and it's like glued on, maybe they changed something. It's a pearl pink AGS 101.

6. pyromaniac123

United Kingdom
    You have to pull the slider up slightly and it should come loose. The easier but more time consuming way is to temporarily remove the motherboard and the slider comes right off.

7. Deaddy
    OP

Canada
    I have the GBA completely dismantled, the motherboard is all by itself with no parts attached to it other than the volume switch. That thing won't come off, I think I've pushed it hard enough in every direction that it would have popped off if it wasn't somehow glued on... I don't know. Doesn't seem removable to me.

8. pyromaniac123

United Kingdom
    | (Switch)
    | -----------> (Direction)
    |

Say the switch is lying down, try pulling it off.

9. Deaddy
    OP

Canada
    So you mean like pull it away from the side of the motherboard, with the mobo lying flat against the ground? Like pull it sideways horizontally?

I tried messing around with it again, that thing isn't going anywhere. I'm convinced it's glued on, they must have changed it. This sucks cause I wanted to replace every external part since when I got this GBA it was dirty and smelled like cigarettes, gross.

10. pyromaniac123

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

This should help.

11. Deaddy
    OP

Canada
    That does help me see what you're saying, but it just plain won't budge in that direction. If I pull it any harder I think it's gonna snap.

12. pyromaniac123

United Kingdom
    Well I'd recommend cleaning it with q-tips and alcohol if it still stinks. Wonder why it was glued on

13. Deaddy
    OP

Canada
    Yeah been soaking the parts I want to keep in vinegar and then alcohol but I'm just going to replace everything I can, can't really soak this switch though cause it's attached to the motherboard. I'll try again once I get a look at the replacement switch that comes with the shell but it doesn't seem like it'll come off. Thanks for your help.