Hacking Replacing DS Lite Touch Screen

kirra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, my friend's DS lite has a busted bottom touch screen. Does anyone have a good pictorial guide to fixing this? If not maybe just some written instructions?

Thanks in advance!

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what are you planning on fixing it with?
huh.gif

if you've got another lower lcd panel, I can walk you through how to change it out. the steps are as follows:

separating the bottom shell half:
- set your ds lite upside-down on something soft (you don't want to mar the finish) and with a jeweler's sized philips screwdriver, unscrew and remove the battery cover and then take out the battery.
- using a tri-wing screwdriver, remove the 3 screws located in the corners on the underside of the lower half: 2 on the left side (upper and lower) and one on the right (lower)). additionally, remove the tri-wing screw inside of the battery compartment.
- remove the gba dust cover and the final tri-wing screw located underneath near the top edge. (use sufficient force when removing this one so that you don't strip the screw head).
- using an x-acto or similar craft knife (or a pin or needle), remove the 2 rubber pads and the 2 philips screws concealed underneath on either side of the gba slot.
- you should have removed a total of 5 tri-wing screws (4 silver and 1 black) and 2 gold-tinted philips screws at this point. carefully lift the bottom half of the lower portion away from the rest of the unit. (if it doesn't release freely, this means that you have missed a screw).

pictures for these steps can be found on my website >>here

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
re-assembly:
- fit the larger ribbon cable in first (since it's larger and has more surface area for its connection, it can take a bit more strain if you happen to twist it from the motherboard). once it's all the way back in (and evenly inserted on both sides), use your thumbnail to press the clip back down, locking the cable in place.
- put the lcd screen back in place in the top half of the lower shell and set the motherboard in place as well so that there is no extra strain (making sure that the smaller ribbon cable is exposed as are the microphone and wi-fi leads).
- carefully, insert the smaller ribbon cable back into the connector and then flip the connector lock down in place (it should snap back down locking the cable, but again don't use too much force!).

at this point, I would just put the other shell half on and put the battery back in to test and make sure that your ds turns on, both screens function as well as the touch-screen functionality before reversing the rest of the steps in the previous post and "buttoning" everything back up together.

(the last thing you want to do is put it all back and find out that something doesn't work and then take it all back apart again).

hope this helps out.
happy.gif

ps
I have to fix a friend's system with this same problem soon, so I'll try and take photos and re-post this again when that happens.

kirra

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow.. seems very very difficult. Maybe I'll end up passing, or maybe I'll be brave!! Thanks for the info thieves!!

SyxPak

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any variance in touchscreen replacement parts for DS Lites? ie between white, black and red DSLites?

I dropped my Black DS Lite recently, and the touchscreen is completely white, lit-up, but no activity. Still responds [accurately] to touch input.

I can't seem to find my proof-of purchase receipt, paid for in cash in a local store 6 months ago, they can't find a record of it, and Nintendo's UK warranty service centre require one (afaik - will ring them soon and see what the story is).

I'm considering buying a replacement touchscreen and the tri-wing and doing it myself, I just want to make sure I buy the right screen.
I hate inaccurate product listings/photographs.

Anyone have a part-number for the touchscreen for a black DS Lite?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is there any variance in touchscreen replacement parts for DS Lites? ie between white, black and red DSLites?

I dropped my Black DS Lite recently, and the touchscreen is completely white, lit-up, but no activity. Still responds [accurately] to touch input.

I can't seem to find my proof-of purchase receipt, paid for in cash in a local store 6 months ago, they can't find a record of it, and Nintendo's UK warranty service centre require one (afaik - will ring them soon and see what the story is).

I'm considering buying a replacement touchscreen and the tri-wing and doing it myself, I just want to make sure I buy the right screen.
I hate inaccurate product listings/photographs.

Anyone have a part-number for the touchscreen for a black DS Lite?

I do not recommend it. If you search "Nintendo DS Lite LCD", you should get a few results. Those should be the correct ones. Since touch screen is fine, you will not need to replace the digitizer

slaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a thought but as the ds lite hasnt been out (in the uk at least) for a year. Do you really need your proof of purchase to get it repaired?

It might be worth a try

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a thought but as the ds lite hasnt been out (in the uk at least) for a year. Do you really need your proof of purchase to get it repaired?

It might be worth a try

I think you only need the receipt if you want to repair it under warranty. (of course the warranty must be valid at the time of postage)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it