Replacing D3-2 Drive in black wii with d2c drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by karldixon1986, Feb 18, 2011.

1. karldixon1986
    OP

Newcomer karldixon1986 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hello There,

I have a black wii with a D3-2 Drive on system menu 4.3.

I want to softmod this wii but i dont have any of the original games to run the exploits.

I have another wii with a d2c drive with a wasabi modchip already installed.

My question is can i take the drive from my old wii (d2c) and swap it with my black wii's drive (D3-2) then use a copied game to run the exploits.

Any one know whether this will work before i pull my wii's to pieces.

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    It will not work.

In order to play backup discs, 2 things are required:
    1. a drive that can handle it.
    2. an exploit in the IOS that can be abused to circumvent antipiracy (the trucha bug).

The new virgin wiis have neither. Installing another drive will only allow the disc to be read. However, without the latter, it will just cause the wii to identify the disc as a backup, and refuse to work.

There are hardmods out there that'll allow you to hack the wii (perhaps even special custom drives that allow any disc to pass as a wii disc...I'm not familiar with them). but if I were you, I'd wait just a bit longer. There just may be an exploit released for Super Smash Bros Brawl (linky).

3. snap_0714

Newcomer snap_0714 Advanced Member

United States
    im not sure with this but i do know some modchips need to be in a spefic firmware like 4.0 to work. i think thats wiikey. and you have to update it. and as far as i know you dont need a mod chip for d2c drives to work. at least on the ones i have they work fine with darkcorp. best option is really just to get a used brawl or indiana jones which is cheaper. then run the exploit. then return the used game or something. only takes like 10mins or less to do it.

4. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    yes this will work just fine, did it last week [​IMG]

5. jesquinas

Member jesquinas GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Are you saying that a 4.3 Wii never can to have a working installed chip?

Thx.

6. karldixon1986
    OP

Newcomer karldixon1986 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Well now im confused as i have two people telling me different. Im tempted to just try? whats the worst that can happen...

"an exploit in the IOS that can be abused to circumvent antipiracy (the trucha bug)."

I never had to change any ios's when i installed the modchip

and i thought that the modchip made the wii think the disc being read was an original by booting from a different partition?

7. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    The chip isn't IOS reliant though is it? I though the chip circumvented DVD read commands, but with the removal of these commands on D3-2, most chips are rendered useless. If the D2C drive has a functioning chip then why won't it work. Many people swap drives to read backups in Black Wii's. Just my 2p's worth, AGAIN!!

8. vinzanity

Member vinzanity GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Yes this will work. I have a black Wii and swapped the D3-2 with an older drive with wiikey and it's there to stay. I got the drive from My other wii, a white Korean which has an 003 but has a wode and now drive-less. There is no need for trucha if you have a mod-chip.

9. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Like I said: I'm not familiar with hardmods (that goes to you as well, jesquinas...please don't take me as a reference for opinions on modchips). And I must admit I accidentally missed the part where you said you had a wasabi modchip. I was just talking about a regular wii drive.

So lenselijer is probably right.

10. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If your chipped drive can read backups it will certainly work.

11. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This will work perfectly as long as the drive you place in is able to read it on another system without a softmod at all this should work on the black wii as well.