Replacing a drive, without original fimrware key :/

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by kokiri_link, May 8, 2008.

1. kokiri_link
    OP

Member kokiri_link GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Right, heres what i would like to do. I want to replace my samsung drive in my 360 (ms28 i believe) with a new drive, which will be exactly the same. The problem is, it has been flashed with ixtreme 1.2 or something :/ I think the new ones 1.4, im not sure on that though. Anyway, i no longer have the original firmware that is on the drive origianlly, so what im bassically asking is, if i extract the drive key from my current drive, could i inject this drive key into my new drive? And obviously id update the new drive to a higher firmware. I need to do this because the drive is on its way out, it rarely reads discs first go, and often brings up a unreadable disc error whilst playing. This would obviously be a cheaper way of doing it instead of buying a new 360!

2. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    You can still get your original key from the modified optical drive. Don't worry. [​IMG]

3. kokiri_link
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] [​IMG] YAY! Haha, you just saved me atleast £150! [​IMG] cheers buddy [​IMG]

4. kokiri_link
    OP

United Kingdom
    Is there any guides for this atall?

Ooops double post :/

5. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    whatever you do, make sure to make at least 3 backups of your old drive (and dont use a floppy disc for that).

you could try flashing the drive with ix1.4-8x version. maybe your games will start working again.
    after that you can try to clean the laser to see if that helps
    with a multimeter and a screwdriver you can also adjust the potmeter on the laser
    or buy a new laser unit from ebay, way cheaper then a whole new drive.

another option is to send it back to ms because it cant read discs anymore [​IMG]