Hardware Replacement N3DSXL Housing

jonnytron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Now my 3ds is hacked about as much as i think it will need to be i'm looking at other ways i can finish up with it. I've seen a few people that have switched over housings in the past and i have the annoying gloss finish blue case that shows up fingerprints like nothing else. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get replacement housings? or if there were any clear housings in circulation?

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive found replacement backs, shipped a american red back housing, now got 2 tone black and crimson red

jonnytron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not to bump (just don't want to make another thread for it).

I think i've decided i'm gonna strip down my machine and sand down / respray the panels to customize them.
Does anyone have any firsthand experience of stripping out a new 3DS XL and rebuilding? or have any good guides I can follow? And does anyone know if I will need any soldering skills for this job or just a lot of unclipping cables and keeping track of screws?
Ill need to get off all of the body panels to respray or at least replace them (really tired of the fingerprint magnet blue).

Thanks

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
Not to bump (just don't want to make another thread for it).

I think i've decided i'm gonna strip down my machine and sand down / respray the panels to customize them.
Does anyone have any firsthand experience of stripping out a new 3DS XL and rebuilding? or have any good guides I can follow? And does anyone know if I will need any soldering skills for this job or just a lot of unclipping cables and keeping track of screws?
Ill need to get off all of the body panels to respray or at least replace them (really tired of the fingerprint magnet blue).

Thanks
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

No soldering required, only a couple of Phillips head screwdrivers and some JIS screwdrivers.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
You know what's disappointing? The 3ds has less case modifications and hardware modifications than any other ds console ever released. Why is it that people don't want a hardware mod to make every 3ds game run faster? Or how about replacing the stock housing case with a see through housing case? Why are people not thinking about new ways to make the 3ds look and function differently?

Edit: the ds lite can be modified to have a small button that when you press it the games run just as fat as the real ds emulator.

Last edited by jimmyleen,

jonnytron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You know what's disappointing? The 3ds has less case modifications and hardware modifications than any other ds console ever released. Why is it that people don't want a hardware mod to make every 3ds game run faster? Or how about replacing the stock housing case with a see through housing case? Why are people not thinking about new ways to make the 3ds look and function differently?

Edit: the ds lite can be modified to have a small button that when you press it the games run just as fat as the real ds emulator.

As far as 3ds modifications go the only one ive really been interested in seeing is the option to access the microSD without removing the back panel... but there are homebrew options to forego that haha. As you can see above I was interested in the idea of a clear case but cant find anywhere to get one and also have no facilities to form my own... :(

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

No soldering required, only a couple of Phillips head screwdrivers and some JIS screwdrivers.

Good to hear :yay3ds: soon...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

The 3DS is a lot more complex than the DS, the timing is no longer affected by the CPU clock, so even if you could overclock the CPU it wouldn't make games run faster (but would make some of them run smoother, as seen when setting CPU clock to 804mhz on the n3DS)
Besides that, I'm not sure it's even possible to overclock the 3DS the way overclocking the DS worked.
I would like to see more replacement shells as well as more 3rd party faceplates for the n3DS though.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
I wander if some one would be willing to get paid to create a see through housing case for the old 3ds and the new xl 3ds.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
You could do it by getting a steel injection mould made out of the case pieces and injecting plastic into the mould. But such moulds costs thousands to set up (even if each cast probably only costs a few cents to make after that).

China is where its at.

TheHaxForU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know where I could get Japanese New 3ds replacement parts?? I really want the Pearl white shell or blue shell... I hate the red one and that's what I have.

Can't find the Japanese ones anywhere. Just the US version :/?

Graham182

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone know where I could get Japanese New 3ds replacement parts?? I really want the Pearl white shell or blue shell... I hate the red one and that's what I have.

Can't find the Japanese ones anywhere. Just the US version :/?

And I wish EU got the red one instead of the blue :/ Have a black myself so can't do a swap :/

Dennis G

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ive found replacement backs, shipped a american red back housing, now got 2 tone black and crimson red
where did you get the us red from, i'm from netherlands and i can't get them to ship to me without paying 30 dollars shipping + 20 dollar import >.< which would make it a total of 100 dollar for a red housing :s

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Now my 3ds is hacked about as much as i think it will need to be i'm looking at other ways i can finish up with it. I've seen a few people that have switched over housings in the past and i have the annoying gloss finish blue case that shows up fingerprints like nothing else. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get replacement housings? or if there were any clear housings in circulation?
if you want to do some mods, do the bluetooth transmitter mod, and if not done so already the c stick + nand write/read mod ofc, also consider switching out led's i've done all of these :P

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
where did you get the us red from, i'm from netherlands and i can't get them to ship to me without paying 30 dollars shipping + 20 dollar import >.< which would make it a total of 100 dollar for a red housing :s

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if you want to do some mods, do the bluetooth transmitter mod, and if not done so already the c stick + nand write/read mod ofc, also consider switching out led's i've done all of these :P

I bought it off ebay for about £17 from someone in America £9 for the case, the rest was shipping. I would be happy if you wanted to use my address if they didn't cover Netherlands. Forward it onto you. Should only be an extra fiver

Dennis G

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought it off ebay for about £17 from someone in America £9 for the case, the rest was shipping. I would be happy if you wanted to use my address if they didn't cover Netherlands. Forward it onto you. Should only be an extra fiver
they do cover netherlands but check this out: Price US dollar 29.99, $15.91 International Priority Shipping to Netherlands via the Global Shipping Program, $19.25 (amount confirmed at checkout)
No additional import charges on delivery

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fellow EST resident here, it's noon for me too