Gaming Replacement case? Impressions w/ this one?

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I want to replace my PSP 2000 case as I bought it used, and its beats up pretty bad.
Would I be wasting my time w/ this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13367
Are there any that you guys could recommend, if not that one?

Thanks.

EDIT::: Lets change this around. What would you DO? if your PSP looked like this. I bought it used so I could CFW it. However, I'd like to try and clean it up.

I feel really iffy about those DealExtreme cases....maybe I should just try clean up the one I have. However, removing scratches from the scren....IDK? What would YOU? do? In the first picuture you can notice a brown spot in the middle left of the PSP. I can't locate the thing....its not a scratch. There is a similar one above it, but I can feel that deformation. What troubles me about the middle one, is I can't feel it, leading me to think that the scratch or artifact may be on the actual PSP screen below. However, I find that hard to believe as this PSP has never been opened.....at least that I know of (warranty sticker appears original and intact.) ADVICE? When the PSP is on, the scratches aren't that noticeable. The brown middle artifact is probably the most noticeable.

DSC_0826.JPG

DSC_0827.JPG

DSC_0828.JPG

DSC_0830.JPG

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just my 2c but I've heard some pretty bad things about those Dealextreme cases (well go figure, you get what you pay for), such as cases not fitting properly, or requiring extra sanding down to even get the case to fit together. And the build quality not being that great.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Could you explain how it ruined your PSP?
Your link doesn't have any replacement housings for PSP2000....seems to only have faceplates.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the one from dealextreme for the DS... the see through pink one.

It's amazing. Everything is perfect, even has the writing on the bottom and sides that the original has.
It looks and feels totally stock.
One piece on the inside wasn't the right size, but I used the stock one and it's fine. (Doesn't show since it's an inside piece.

I'd buy that PSP case and in fact will buy one of the transparent ones.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think that all these "replacment PSP housing" are exactly the same, i'm talking lavender, white, see through, red, blue, mint. They all have the same exact white box with buttons in a plastic case with staples in the same place. right, white box, staples shut square raised plastic carton.
they are all the same, as i've been looking and looking. currently, i have a see through blue which I'm afraid to put on for fear of breaking my psp. its also not the exact color I wanted, but it was free with purchase, so I might just test it out.
maybe there is a difference between these, but I can't say as they all appear to be coming from the same place, all being packaged exactly the same way. i don't know. thinking about getting the mint green one.
thanks for the reply devante, I really appreciate the input. could I ask you what rehouse you used to learn how to rehouse your psp?

i will say that if I do assembly the clear blue or get a mint green, i'll post a review on deal extreme.

lol. after watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jNwm5IEF8...feature=related

i am seriously questioning my want to replace my somewhat used PSP slim's cover....with a cover that *may* or maynot be worth anything, while potentially introducing dust onto the LCD screen.feel like I need to buy a junk psp slim just to practice disassembly.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Changed the OP. Added some pics, and changed the topic. Could you advise me, with those pictures in mind?
pretty ain't she......obviously camera photogenic...
biggrin.gif

not bumping my own topic....I changed it..rather than creating a whole new one. I hope the mod's don't mind...if so, i'm sorry.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that the faceplate is very easy to replace but the back plate is much more difficult. I ordered a dark blue case from DealExtreme a while ago. The only complaint I have is it didn't fit as snug as the original, other than that I have been happy with it.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what about finish? is the finish the same quality? is a "faceplate" the same as the top half of a replacement "housing"? DING! 100th post. (now I can sell, btw)
biggrin.gif

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
keine said:
what about finish? is the finish the same quality? is a "faceplate" the same as the top half of a replacement "housing"? DING! 100th post. (now I can sell, btw)
biggrin.gif
Yes the faceplate is the top half of the housing. The finish seemed about the same as the original.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ones at dx scratch very easily, the plastic seems to be thinner and more prone to breaking, and there was often extra plastic making it not screw int correctly

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so then what do I do, if DX ones are so cheap. magmorph seems to be happy with his. another option is try buff out scratches w/ brasso?

also, is there any possibility that the brown thing I talk about is on the inside? just because I can't feel it, doesn't mean its not on the outside. the scratch reflects off the LCD, so does the top one I talked about and that one I can feel on the outside. if it was on the inside, I don't think I'd see it reflect. lol. OCD at work here guys.

more suggestions. please. the DX replacement cases are the only ones I know of. would you take a chance on one?

Mr. Waffle

A Free Waffle
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DX cases are pretty good in quality, Imo.
Not as good as genuine, but it works ;P

Also you're lucky you just have scratches and a brown thingy, I burned some pixels to death with that 200mW laser from DX >__> (Together with the "Note" button
tongue.gif
)

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to *just* replace the plastic on the screen?everything else it quite fine...really. buttons/thumbstick...etc. its just the scratches on the screen. batt door is a little cheap...but I think thats standard protocol.
I think i'll just look for a higher quality white faceplate and just replace that.

would anyone recommend buffing out the scratches with brasso?

could anyone recommend a *high quality* replacement faceplate and a reseller where I will be happy with the quality. either original or high quality dual injection mold? white?

Wow, I just spent an hour searching. Looked through ALL XCM's resellers. Nothing.

Just took a look at an extra DX case I had here...the crystal blue. *After* removing 3 layers of tape....one on the inside and two on the outside the quality improved vastly. Tried feeling the difference in the finish, and I couldn't. I think I'm going to put this one one....try it out for awhile...and if I like it order another in the correct color from DX. Take a month to get here anyway.

So I put on the crystal blue one.......that brown smudge *IS* something on the LCD screen....and I can't blow it off for some reason....(any advice on this?) I don't touching the screen in any way shape or form is going to scratch it...ideas? Could I put a drop of liquid on the screen to try loosin it up..and then blow the liquid away? Hey that might work.
As for quality.....I can't tell the difference, but I don't know if I put it back 100% correctly. Square doesn't feel as tactile as it did before. Not as "clicky" as it was before. The d pad is also a little bit more squishy than it was before. Everything else works.

Thoughts? Please people? Did you guys loose any tactile? How about the brown spot?

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i've tried 3 times now on this DX crystal blue case to match the tactile feeling on my original case....and its not happening. i've tried my original dpad and the one that came with.
hate2.gif

am I doing something wrong? should the buttons keep their tactile nature? you know how you click down...and you "know" you clicked.
I put the buttons in the face plate...push the rubber things on behind them as tight as I can. I then very carefully bring faceplate and unit to meet. I doubt the screws have to be tightened ungodly tight.
maybe I'm just assembling incorrectly?

any idea on how to get that spec off the LCD screeN?

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so, even with using your original d-pad and the original buttons, the tactile feel isn't the same? that doesn't bode well.

I just received my monster hunter full faceplate kit (psp-2000) from chocolateice (ebay seller) and it appears to be made by the same manufacturer that keane mentioned with the d-pad and buttons coming in a square plastic box with the 2 staples to hold everything in place. on compariing the kit to my "real" monster hunter psp, there is definately a difference in the look *and* feel of the replacement kit. in addition, the manufacturer of kit took the cheap route with the d-pad and buttons by molding them in a single colour and then painting them instead of creating transparent ones which are coloured underneath to match the shell colour
frown.gif

also, the multi-piece frame that fits between the two shell halves doesn't appear to be of the same quality as the original frame either, so I think that I may pick up another psp-2000 from gamestop and muck around with doing the case swap on it before messing with my personal system. unfortunately, the system that I'm looking to re-case is one of the red god of war systems, so there's not much in the way of parts that I can re-use.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I need a new face plate with buttons....but I don't know which one to get now, or where to get it. Camy's I think they are called are only for 1000. Asterisk ones are gone forever, noone has those. I can still find a couple XCM ones floating around. Then their is the DX special. and then their would be buying a used official case (which might be just as scratched as this one.) The DX one, I get washy DPad when I put on the face plate. Besides that...that face plate is fine. The buttons are fine too....

see....

I was trying to remove the "button" from the silicone pads on my original buttons....and they are glued together..you see. And you see they ripped.

So now I need new buttons too. Right now I'm using the set of DX crystal blue buttons with the original PSP White Star Wars and their tactness is pretty good....fine for me. However, it looks pretty ghetto.

Please help. Not spamming, just more updates....i've been researching ALL night.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol