Hardware Replacement analogue stick issue.

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One of the sticks on one of my older controllers had seen better days, so bought a replacement module for it. Removed the old and soldered the new one on and all is fine except for one strange thing. In the Microsoft dash and Freestyle dash, holding the stick does not scroll through the selections. It moves once and that's it. I thought it might be faulty and not registering the continual holding of it, but it works fine in games:blink:. Everything controls fine and it can scroll through menus, just won't do it on the dash.

Other controllers scroll the dash fine, so it's definitely something to do with the replacement stick, but it's fine in games and only seems to do it on the dash.

Minor inconvenience, but anyone got any idea why it would behave that way?

Thanks.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I usually use LB and RB for scrolling ;p

Hmm strange.
It couldn't be the soldering otherwise it wouldn't respond at all...

Maybe you damaged a resistor?
No wait then the controller wouldn't register some movements.

Sorry Arma, I have no clue on what it could have caused ;s

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I usually use LB and RB for scrolling ;p

Hmm strange.
It couldn't be the soldering otherwise it wouldn't respond at all...

Maybe you damaged a resistor?
No wait then the controller wouldn't register some movements.

Sorry Arma, I have no clue on what it could have caused ;s

Damage was first thing I thought of, but thought I would check a game first, before opening it up to make sure I hadn't knocked a component off or something, and to my suprise, games are fine :blink:.

I normally scroll with the d-pad anyway, so minor inconvenience, but I'm curious now :(, and need to know why it behaves as it does :).

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity was the housing of the stick branded? If it's not, it's not oem, which would, from my experience, cause issues (non oem stick modules are shit from what I've seen). The oem ones are ALPS branded, and though they cost slightly more on ebay, are well worth it.

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No brand, just a random stick. Got a link to the oem ones? Was only cheap and doesn't take long to change, so I'll just change it again if needed.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To bad that there isn't a controller checker for FSD or XeLL.
Then you could check the stick.

My first thoughts where improper soldering but that couldn't be it.

Maybe you could swap the sticks with each other?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are what I originally had, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XBOX-360-...G_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item1e64945286

They are non-OEM and are complete and utter shit. Tension wise, they felt fantastic. Control wise though, while playing Fallout 3, imagine moving your character (and aiming) with dpads instead of analogue sticks. That is how bad they worked.

The one on the Ebay US website aren't listed anymore.

1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xbox-360-...G_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27c01e2292

Looks extremely similar, except the pots aren't numbered on the OEM ones (mine, at least, all the ones I've seen).

2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xbox-360-...G_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec2518fa6

Picture is that of the OEM ones, but I'm not sure if it's a stock picture or not... the description "They're third party parts, not Microsoft, so they're a good price. If you're wondering about build quality they're not quite as nice to look at as the official ones and may not last quite as long but they're solid enough and will do the job, plus I can do them at a great price." would make me extremely wary of them, but it's also a bit misleading. The OEM parts aren't Microsoft to begin with, but I think that's more of a technicality than the seller would get into. My guess is that it is in face a stock photo, the item is probably a little different.

3) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3D-Analog...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item41694823c8

Off of the US website, but he ships internationally. Pic is again of OEM ones, no description. I'd feel more confident about this one.

I'd be tempted to go with the third one, but if you decide to do some of your own snooping around, I just snapped a few pics to point you towards what to look for.

Stick is turquoise, as are the two pots. The middle click stick is white/offwhite, with a black button, button housing, and bottom plate. Plastic in the cage, not visible from any picture, is white, just like the middle click stick.

Pots are not numbered on the OEM ones. Nor are they this vibrant, thank the camera flash for that. They do have those red portions, but they're a bit more maroon colored.

Most importantly, ALPS branded. ALPS makes the OEM sticks in every controller I've seen so far.

I'll also say that I've yet to put these sticks in my controllers, but they are a 1:1 match to the ones I took out of them originally. Color of components, branding, everything is 100% identical between them, so if you're going to have luck with anything, it'll likely be these.

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My original does not have turquoise pots. Has black pots and a white plastic base, not black. Does say alps on it and the controller is very old, so must have changed some parts at some point. Think I'll try one from the 1st link. The us shipping is too expensive to risk unless I was 100% they are a match to the originals and not just a stock photo. Price of the pair is fine, but it costs just as much in shipping as the product price.

The one I have in now looks pretty similar to the original I have here, except the upper support thing is plastic, not metal like the original. Apart from the issue I mentioned, it did seem to be working fine, although I did not play anything that requires real precision.

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ordered one from the first link today. Hopefully be here by end of the week and I'll try that, I'll snap a shot of the one I have in there now when I open it up again, so people can avoid that type.

Reactions: DinohScene

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
9F3xL.jpg

Replacement from first link came. Does not seem to be original or at least it is not marked ALPS. Construction of it seems similar though. Bottom one is the replacement, top is the original one.

IVzcz.jpg

Left is replacement, right is original. No numbers on pots like on the picture. Again, very similar. Pretty much the only difference is the metal shell.

Haven't tried it yet, was thinking about just going on the hunt for another one, but as it's here, I suppose it doesn't hurt to try. I'll get a pic of the crap one that is in there at the moment, when I open the controller.

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking there is something strange going on with this controller.

Fitted the new one, same crap. Works fine in game, but on FSD and MS dash, only moves once instead of scrolling. This stick feels better than the other one though. Not sure it's official though, no ALPS on it and legs are slightly shorter than the one that came off, but that is very old and looks different to official one Plasmadragon posted.

Soldering is fine far as I can see, but grabbed a shot anyway. Can't see how it would cause the issue only on FSD and MS dash anyway.

FxEeb.jpg

Meh, can't see anything that would cause issue there.

I did notice something else while testing, which is why I said, I think there is something strange going on with this controller. Left Trigger does not work in FSD3 (didn't test MS dash). That's a completely stock part, have not changed it. Works great in games, no issue. FSD, nothing. Newer controller, scrolls as it should. I also never tested with the stock stick, so considering LT which is stock does not work in FSD 3, maybe stock stick would exhibit same issues. Controller is pretty much a launch controller, so maybe something up with them that FSD does not like.

I always seem to get the strange issues :(, never get a simple issue with a simple fix :(.

Oh and here is the other stick I replaced that I said I would get picture of.

qEUK7.jpg

One on the left is the one I got first time. All plastic inside and looks nothing like the other two.

Edit:

Done some searching and found the originals. Referenced as RKJXP1224002 on another forum. Easy enough to find once you have the part number, unfortunately all the electronics shops that have them, shipping is high, so unless your ordering a decent amount of them, then it's not worth it. Still looking for somewhere with cheaper shipping on them.

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, stick is in fine. Can't see how it can be the fitting of the stick/soldering when it works fine everywhere except fsd and Microsoft dash. Like I said, think it might be something strange going on with the pad as it's old (launch) as the left trigger doesn't work on dash either, but works fine in game and that's a stock part. Trying to track down an official stick, see what happens with that,but all places with it want stupid delivery cost (£7 or so for a £3 stick, GTFO).

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Fair enough ;o

I'm actually interested if you can find the problem.
Maybe you could gut a controller that has a malfunctioning LB/RB or other button and take it's stick?

Armadillo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't have any broken controllers and not buying one as people seem unable to describe things accurately or take pictures that are in focus + I'd prefer a completely new stick if I have to mess around changing it.

I have the part number, just have to track down somewhere that sells it and has heard of standard post. I don't get it, pretty much every large company offers standard 1st class for small items, except electronics companies. They insist on fixed price courier at £7 or so. Still replacement stick doesn't explain why LT does not work on dash either, but fine in game. I suppose it could be they are slightly different spec (resistance) and is just screwing with the circuit, but then why not in game. Getting an official replacement will at least take that out the picture and if it still does it, it must just be old board, not playing nice with new stuff.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Aye true true.

Hmm.
I highly doubt that the old board doesn't take new parts....
It's a possibility yes but I don't think so.

As for the resistance in the sticks.
It's possible cause games are handling controls different then the dash.
I think the dash waits a couple of milliseconds before executing the holding stick left/right command.
And with it being lower the controller might then not fully send it.

Anyways I hope you'll fix it.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[quoting the last pic]

Sheesh, even the crap ones I have have a metal rail on the top of the joystick. I'll have to eventually put the new sticks in my controller and my little brother's, but I CBA to do it now. I ran into an issue with one of his triggers not working as well, but I think I may have accidentally grounded the pot for it. That's literally the only thing I can think of.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person