Hacking Replace Black Wii DVD Drive with old White Wii Drive

jasjeet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Possible to do this? My Black wii is modded, but cant play and DVD backups, specifically my old GameCube ones.

So if i pull out the White Wii DVD Drive and put it in my Black Wii will it work?
My Black wii is softmodded already, the White wii is virgin.

jasjeet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah ok didnt realise there had been developments with GC backups for all Wii's now. I think i may still do the Drive swap because i dont have very large or fast SD cards around.

Is it possible to put multiple GC ISOs onto a DVD?

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Possible to do this? My Black wii is modded, but cant play and DVD backups, specifically my old GameCube ones.

So if i pull out the White Wii DVD Drive and put it in my Black Wii will it work?
My Black wii is softmodded already, the White wii is virgin.
Was the white Wii made before summer 2009? If so, then it will have a drive that can play backups. Later drives (D3-2, D4) cannot. If the black Wii has a D3-2, you could just swap the drive controller board with the older one and leave the mechanism.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure what games 'need' audio streaming, basically bc I dont do anything with GC games, but it is a big deal that without the 'audio streaming' then many games are just fucked in terms of original playability bc nothing sounds correct. Someone else may be able to explain it better.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
A few GC games require audio to be streamed from the disc. Here's a partial list: Eternal Darkness,Ikaruga,Star Fox Adventures, 1080° Avalanche, Geist, Wave Race: Bluestorm.

Depending on what streamed audio is used for, having no sound can seriously impact the gameplay experience. For some games (e.g. Ikaruga), the audio streams are used for background music. Others use streamed audio for dialog (e.g. Star Fox Adventures). Without audio streaming support, these games will play with muted sound in place of the streamed audio; however, other sound effects may still be present. Legend of Zelda: Collectors Disk only uses audio streaming for the selection screen, so the muted audio has no impact on the games themselves.

Although I do not understand the hardware details, I do know that at present the only solution for audio streaming with backups is installing a modchip on a compatible drive, and only a few modchips have fully working audio streaming support (e.g. YAOSM, Wiinja, Wiikey v1). Thus far, I've found that the audio streaming fix only works properly on DMS/D2A/D2B drives - D2C/D2C2/D2E have playback issues, and D3-2/D4 do not read backups.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Does playing GC backups off a DVD have audio streaming issues with a softmod?

Yes. Streaming audio will be muted. See below.

I do know that at present the only solution for audio streaming with backups is installing a modchip on a compatible drive, and only a few modchips have fully working audio streaming support (e.g. YAOSM, Wiinja, Wiikey v1).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ