Hacking Question Repeat Question; benifits of low firmware VS soldered Mod Chip

metaljay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know its been said to death, but wanted to double check.

A friend of mine has a switch on 3.02, he has kept it as this firmware after i told him about the cold boot exploit.
With all that's happening with Trinkets and SwitchMe are there any real reasons to keep a switch on a low firmware when you have a soldered modchip?

Long term we both want EmuNAND, but with the chip it doesn't matter being higher than 3.0fw as this is as good as any cold boot exploit (without hardware)

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
3.0.2 thus 3.0.1 has the possibility to get coldboot, but it is really really hard, so it might (probably will) never come.
The only real reason for coldboot, is that you don't have to solder anything. That's about it.
EmuNAND is pretty much independent on your SysNAND version.

And my personal experience:
A modchip is the way to go if you don't want to wait.
If you can, get and install the modchip and get the "coldboot" right now. it is worth it.
On the other hand, I have 1.0.0 Switch which I have as a collector's piece with the possibility to sometimes get a coldboot...

But obviously, the biggest advantage to modchip is that it works on any FW no matter what.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: Asia81

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 2 solutions would essentially offer the exact same experience (after the modchip is installed), only difference really being that with a mod chip there are a lot of things that could go wrong (chip dying, installation error, battery drain depending on method). This is just speculation though because we don't know exactly how the coldboot exploit would work and if there'd be any additional risks or downsides to it.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I mean any m0 modchip. Nothing is stealth. TX just added 90 DNS and dreport (which can do anyone). Depends how good you are with soldering.
back at age of x360 i managed to solder Jtag on Xbox360 board, the point was about 0.5-1mm, but i don't know anything about Switch board tho...

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*caught* nothing *caught* = 60ish microamps

Try 1.2mA going through the regulator. 60uA might be what the SAMD uses, but with that LDO in line, it uses more.

And thats excluding what the switch takes normally.

So, say a 1200mAh battery... = 1000 hours. That is JUST the modchip. Don`t forget it will flatten the battery until the battery is at or close to 0v.

So, the very very best case is that if you leave your switch in its case unplayed for around a month, your battery will be totally depleted. Not just the "safe-level" flat, I mean completely flatter than a witches tit.

The initial current draw to charge something that flat could be approaching "burst-into-flames" area... Especially as the charging controller probably will say NO WAY too flat... Leading to a "jump start"...

And don`t forget, you have NO WAY of turning it off without taking back off.

EDIT: Ok the switch battery is at 4000mAh..., So adjust time accordingly. But it WILL go flat.

Last edited by mattytrog,

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try 1.2mA going through the regulator. 60uA might be what the SAMD uses, but with that LDO in line, it uses more.
Is it feasible to use a "PowerOn" rail? (only at +5V or what ever when the console is powered on)
So the questions are: 1) is there such a rail and 2) would the modchip boot fast enough or is RCM checked too early...
This would still drain the battery while it is on, unless the modchip is able to go into deep sleep

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it feasible to use a "PowerOn" rail? (only at +5V or what ever when the console is powered on)
So the questions are: 1) is there such a rail and 2) would the modchip boot fast enough or is RCM checked too early...
This would still drain the battery while it is on, unless the modchip is able to go into deep sleep

Check my modchip thread . In tutorials ;)

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@metaljay

Alright mate!

Tell your mate not to piss around waiting for the mountain to come to Mohammad.

Get a chip in it, update to 5.1.0 with choidujour

Job done.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*whistles.... Looks around...

Nope... Don`t know anybody

*whistles... looks round some more...

PM me. Lets sort the lad out. Might know someone ;)

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a list of ModChips?
DIY and buyable...

Erm... Well, any ATSAMD21 that will fit inside.

In my thread I support

Trinket M0
Gemma M0
ItsyBitsy M0
Rebug SwitchME

...maybe that daft RCMX86 (is that what its called? That thing that ships with a fooked battery) thing too. Should be the same. Not had any feedback from that yet.

The modchip principle and fitting is honestly the easiest to fit and to fathom of any console, I hesitate in calling them true "modchips" though they technically are.

I`d call them "modboots". Thats all they do.

Reactions: Resaec

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Atmosphere is probably going to be fully released soon and that would work pretty good while temporarily waiting for coldboot. Most likely we will be able to just update emunand very easily without having to do much and still have a updated CFW while your console will stay on 3.02 without any need for Auto-RCM to use latest version of CFW, It will be much better than choidujour...

I my self will keep waiting for atmosphere instead, anyway there isnt much I even wanna play in the console ;)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life