Reparing part SW9 on NDSL Motherboard (L switch)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Rolled, Mar 25, 2010.

Mar 25, 2010
  1. Rolled
    OP

Newcomer Rolled Newbie

United States
    I was in the process of switching cases to fix a broken hinge with one of my Nintendo DS Lites. Everything went as planned, placed the battery against the prongs and it powered on and everything. All I had to do was replace the buttons. When I was placing the L button, I noticed the SW9 L switch was dangling by a thread (no idea how it happened) I tried securing it back to the mobo with a small piece of tape, and it snapped off. I really have no experience with soldering to circuit boards, nor do I even know if this part is supposed to be soldered. Eeshops sells the part for just 99c, and says "Easy to install. Needn't to pay for high repairing fee." However I can't find anywhere that actually explains how to install the switch.

All help appreciated.

2. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    It's soldered. I don't know how but It looks easy to do even if you have minor soldering skills

3. drag0nzord

Newcomer drag0nzord Advanced Member

United States

or none.

you can teach yourself.

just go to radioshack and pick up a soldering iron starter kit. it should have everything required. then just play around with it a bit until you get comfortable, maybe watch some people online.

thats exactly what i did when i bought my gamecube modchip years ago.

was well worth it.

knowing how to solder opened a whole new world of modding for me.

with my psp i was able to not only case mod but now add LEDs and even another joystick.

4. Rolled
    OP

Newcomer Rolled Newbie

United States
    I do know basic soldering. I've repaired a few top screens, and took care of the speakers fine (and modded a rockband guitar-)

It's just not only do I not really see any trace of leftover solder on the mobo, I don't know if my wick is fine enough (also not positive what voltage my iron is; don't want to fry the board)

Anybody have specific advice about soldering this individual part? Here's a not-so-helpful picture of the part if it helps at all (it's about the size of the back of an earring, or something. Hard to reference) The side facing the top right is the part that is attached to the mobo.

[​IMG]