Repairing *New* 3DS Glass Lens

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Homebrewa, May 29, 2016.

1. Homebrewa
    OP

Homebrewa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    Hey Guys!

Hopefully this is in the right subforum.

Look, I've mangled up my n3ds (regular, not XL) glass "lens", essentially the cover that goes over the LCD, and have ordered a replacement: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401126293395

The item hasn't arrived yet, and will probably arrive in week and a half or so, it's from China... but for when it does get here, is there a guide on how to replace the cover? I am fairly certain iFixit is overcomplicating it.. Can't you use a suction cup or tools?

Is someone able to give me some wisdom on how to actually perform the repair in the most sane way?

Best Wishes :)

2. mammastuffing

mammastuffing GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    I haven't done it myself nor do I have a n3ds. But I'd guess it's like the original 3ds and 3ds xl and is just stuck on there with glue. If that's the case you'll probably do fine with a suction cup and the plastic tools in the picture. I'd recommend using a hair dryer as well to heat up the glue which will make it unstick a bit.

Good luck! :)

3. Homebrewa
    OP

Homebrewa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    Yeah, I thought so.. I contacted Nintendo for warranty (vertical line scratches), but there was 0 chance I was going to let them update me to 11.0.. my a9lh is soo precious to me!

4. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    I mean A9LH can work on 11.0 but yeah, wouldn't let them touch it anyways.

5. Homebrewa
    OP

Homebrewa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    I'd have to remove it before they have a look at it! With the possibility of me then restoring my NAND backups to a (possibly) refurbished unit, the risk isn't worth it... It seems astronomically easier to just replace the glass myself.