Hacking Repairing a blue screen bricked switch. any suggestions?

oriam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys,
I couldn't resist to buy a blue screen bricked Switch from eBay which is capable of CFW and I want to try to fix it. Otherwise if it will not work I will sell the spare parts.

So here is the current status of the Switch:
I was told by the seller that the Switch was opened and it was tried to disconnect/connect the battery for fixing (I don't know how this should solve any blue screen bricks...). After receiving I noticed additionally that the +/- vol buttons are not correctly working (- is always pressed). Nevertheless, I managed to start Hekate. In Hekate could read out the fuse count of 8 (FW 6.2.0). However, I can not dump anything because the SD slot seems not to be connected. In addition, I saw that the boot0 and boot1 partition sizes are 0 bytes, so I would guess that the previous owner tried to do a downgrade and something went terribly wrong.

Right now, I think about the next steps:
1) I should open the switch and try to see if the SD slot connection is loose
2) I should see why the vol buttons are not correctly working (maybe misfitted in the case?)
3) somehow I should try to restore the original partition layout to manually rebuild the NAND by choidujour.

Regarding the partiton layout I am not sure. I have a working second switch and I know NAND dumps are incompatible but can I use that dump to create the correct partiton layout and then overwrite everything with choidujour afterwards? Or is there any other easier way?

Regarding the 0 byte size of both boot partitions. Might it be possible that the EMMC is defect or not correctly connected? Would Hekate say something like "no EMMC module found"?

Anyone tried to fix a Switch with similar problems? Any further suggestions?

Due to job duties I will not have time to work on the switch until next weekend. So thanks in advance for your suggestions.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1st make a nand dump before anything else. I know you currently can't so fix the sd slot beforehand.
If prodinfo is missing then the switch is not recoverable atm. This is device specific.Without a valid prodinfo you can't boot horizon. So only homebrew like hekate or the upcoming linux would work with it.
I think hekate is capable of fixing the partition layout if it is borked. But make a dump first. E.g. if the partition table is borked you could fix it and restoring prodinfo might be possible.

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi guys,
I couldn't resist to buy a blue screen bricked Switch from eBay which is capable of CFW and I want to try to fix it. Otherwise if it will not work I will sell the spare parts.

So here is the current status of the Switch:
I was told by the seller that the Switch was opened and it was tried to disconnect/connect the battery for fixing (I don't know how this should solve any blue screen bricks...). After receiving I noticed additionally that the +/- vol buttons are not correctly working (- is always pressed). Nevertheless, I managed to start Hekate. In Hekate could read out the fuse count of 8 (FW 6.2.0). However, I can not dump anything because the SD slot seems not to be connected. In addition, I saw that the boot0 and boot1 partition sizes are 0 bytes, so I would guess that the previous owner tried to do a downgrade and something went terribly wrong.

Right now, I think about the next steps:
1) I should open the switch and try to see if the SD slot connection is loose
2) I should see why the vol buttons are not correctly working (maybe misfitted in the case?)
3) somehow I should try to restore the original partition layout to manually rebuild the NAND by choidujour.

Regarding the partiton layout I am not sure. I have a working second switch and I know NAND dumps are incompatible but can I use that dump to create the correct partiton layout and then overwrite everything with choidujour afterwards? Or is there any other easier way?

Regarding the 0 byte size of both boot partitions. Might it be possible that the EMMC is defect or not correctly connected? Would Hekate say something like "no EMMC module found"?

Anyone tried to fix a Switch with similar problems? Any further suggestions?

Due to job duties I will not have time to work on the switch until next weekend. So thanks in advance for your suggestions.
what i think he did is kinda tried to restore nand to downgrade and then he failed and left it in autorcm
later the battery drained entirely and he tried to open the switch and externally tried to charge it
which he failed again
when he opened the switch he didnt take proper care i think thats why its malfunctioning in hardware too
this is just my speculation though
as for fixing the switch my ideas coincide with yours so unfortunately i cant think of anything more to add

Last edited by Budsixz,

PyroGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall correctly and my knowledge isn't out of date, you need your the device specific keys and/or prodinfo to successfully rebuild and encrypt nand to be restored. If I am incorrect please correct me and shoot me a pm :) I have 2 sitting around awaiting better Linux support or for parts until/if any further development comes about.

oriam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The keys are no problem. You can get your biskeys with Hecate dumping tsec and fuse info and use the sdsetup website. Their downgrade guide using choidujour explains how to do that. All other keys one can get with lockpick RCM.

The only problem is the prodinfo.

oriam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a strange error. When I print the partiton layout Hekate stops to work while showing EMMC user partiton table.

Also gptrestore stops after decompressing with a crc32 fail. Any ideas what I could do now?

Attachments

• IMG_20190327_082511757-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190327_082511757-01.jpeg
    987.9 KB · Views: 336

oriam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, I can't proceed. The person who owned the switch before (and disconnected/connected the battery for unknown reasons) accidentally damaged one pin of the SD connector:cry:. Or someone has an idea how to fix a broken connector pin/leg?

So I can't proceed with anything. Neither I can't start Lakka nor try to repair NAND.

It's useless for me. I want to sell it to people who need spare parts for repairing stuff. E.g. the screen is in very good condition and without scratches or pixel errors. But I had no time up to now to start an eBay auction.

ajgarher

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi, sorry to bump out of nowhere, I have a similar issue and I'm trying to recover a blue screen switch from a friend.
My status so far:
- tried to use gptrestore but also got a crc32 error.
- seems like sd slot is not working, it can't be mounted with memloader or tegrarcmgui (the sd cable it's correctly connected, tested sd card on another switch also)
- got the keys with biskeydump
I don't what to do anymore :(.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Reactions: rodrigues14

rodrigues14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, sorry to bump out of nowhere, I have a similar issue and I'm trying to recover a blue screen switch from a friend.
My status so far:
- tried to use gptrestore but also got a crc32 error.
- seems like sd slot is not working, it can't be mounted with memloader or tegrarcmgui (the sd cable it's correctly connected, tested sd card on another switch also)
- got the keys with biskeydump
I don't what to do anymore :(.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

you try change the mmc board?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh